Gransnet forums

Care & carers

Support For Older People Not Coping With "Modern Life"

(10 Posts)
SueSocks Sat 14-Aug-21 03:37:23

I have been trying to write this since 2.45am now 3.20am. First attempt was way too long! This issue is keeping me awake.
Basically we rent a flat to a tenant. He is a man of 69, he has some serious medical issues & is very frail physically. I would also say that he some mild learning disabilities - he worked as a labourer previously so was able to hold down a job. He struggles to follow conversations and his mind wanders.
During lockdown July time last year he was taken to hospital, we had no idea where he was until the police tracked him down. The flat window was wide open so we had to go in to secure it, the flat was squalid, rotting food, stinking rubbish everywhere, we removed 12 bin bags & had a clean up. I wonder if he had a breakdown.
Nurses at the hospital said he woudn't be able to care for himself but he was assessed by therapists & discharged to the flat.
We have now discovered that he has not been paying utility bills, but he thinks that he has. Tried to sort it out with him and Scot Power today - cut off before we could finish.
He doesn't use computers, struggles to use the phone - so dealing with utility companies is nearly impossible for him.
Kitchen is a bad state again.
Carers go in twice a day - stay for 5 mins to check he is OK.
I contacted adult social care and our MP last year - no joy.
What help is there for people like this? He isn't coping with modern life or with day to day tasks. He has no family, we were the only ones who realised he had "gone missing" when he went into hospital.

Teacheranne Sat 14-Aug-21 03:50:43

There are certain key phrases to use to get Social Care to take action. He is a vulnerable adult, not capable of making safe decisions and they have a duty of care for him. Those are the types of words used to get support for people with dementia so might be helpful in your situation.

Otherwise try writing to his GP with your concerns as the GP also has a duty of care to assess his capacity to live independently. Obviously they will not discuss anything with you but should see your tenant, often they make up a reason for an appointment such as a health check so that they can do an assessment.

How is his rent paid, is he in receipt of housing benefit? In which case would they have any involvement in his living conditions, if you were to evict him for his poor basic hygiene then they would have to act. Our tenants have a six monthly inspection which ensures that they are maintaining the property properly or else the tenancy agreement is not renewed. I’m not suggesting you evict him as you are obviously a caring person but it might be possible to raise awareness of his needs to housing.

nanna8 Sat 14-Aug-21 04:11:56

This should never be allowed to happen. What is wrong with the local authorities in the area ? Are there no social workers , perhaps attached to the local hospital? In this day and age it is disgraceful and quite frightening.

sodapop Sat 14-Aug-21 07:23:07

My daughter struggles with issues like this in the course of her work. How ever much she can support people in a crisis situation there are no places available for them to get on going help. It's a cause of great concern for her mental health team.

MoorlandMooner Sat 14-Aug-21 10:13:31

I have no expertise in this area and so can't help, but just wanted to say that you sound like a very caring person SueSocks. It is very good to know that there are such good and kind landlords around.

This post is an indication of how difficult it is to get help if you or someone you know is suffering with mental health issues.

M0nica Sat 14-Aug-21 17:23:23

I suspect that to get any help for this gentleman you will have to evict him, when SS see he is going to be homeless and is vulnerable, they will then do something about it, but while there is anyone with an interest in him - and you are a kind and concerned landlady, they will do nothing.

This is an appalling way to have to go about things, but my experience is that only when everyone else walks away and the vulnerable person is left utterly abandoned, will SS reluctantly get involved.

Lincslass Sat 14-Aug-21 18:37:02

Poor man, it sounds as though he can’t cope, full stop, and his possible mental health issues may be exacerbating. . Please don’t go down the eviction route, that would distress and agitate him more. Your first stop really should be his GP, if that fails, it shouldn’t, then these may help. www.england.nhs.uk/wp-content/uploads/2017/02/adult-pocket-guide.pdf.
www.nhs.uk/mental-health/nhs-voluntary-charity-services/charity-and-voluntary-services/get-help-from-mental-health-helplines/
I do hope you can get this sorted for all your sakes.

BlueBelle Sat 14-Aug-21 19:25:31

His GP is the conduit between him and help they should contact SS to review him and find what help he needs and it should become obvious what he needs
He’s over retirement age so a vulnerable elderly person
I hope you don’t have to evict him poor man he will end up on the streets
When my mum and dad became less able (much older in their 90 s )I contacted the GP he contacted SS and very soon they were offered so much help and an occupational therapist getting them everything from hand rails, toilet chair and settee hiRisers mum who was profoundly deaf was offered a screen telephone
So unless things have dramatically changed in the last few years the GP is your person to contact

SueSocks Sat 21-Aug-21 17:05:55

Thank you for your replies, very helpful. I hadn't really thought about his GP.

Casdon Sat 21-Aug-21 18:57:10

If carers are already visiting, Social Services will be aware of him already, but may not deem him vulnerable enough to need additional support - he may not have been reassessed since he was allocated the carers when he left hospital? I’d find out first if his carers are SS employees or from a care agency, and if they have reported his failure to cope to a social worker. If not, that’s the best route to go down. Press for a reassessment. If he has been reassessed and it’s not thought that he needs additional help, you could try Age UK, who with his agreement can help if his primary problem is loneliness and isolation leading to him not caring for himself, which could be the case. They can also put him in touch with support to pay his bills.
Approaching his GP for help is an extra tier of help if all else fails, but the GP will refer back to Social Services anyway, as they are already involved to some degree, I think going through the carers would be the quickest route initially.