Gransnet forums

Care & carers

Mums lonely

(62 Posts)
Katyj Thu 07-Oct-21 17:19:19

Hi. I’m here again wondering what to do again if anything. My mum is lonely she lives alone in a flat, she’s 90 with poor mobility and doesn’t feel well quite a lot of the time, has what she calls her funny heads.
For quite a while now, every time I visit, usually twice a week, she complains bitterly that no one has been to see her, by this she means her gc and ggc , now, as you can imagine like most young people they have little time, have responsible jobs and young families. I’m an only one too which doesn’t help.
I’m wholeheartedly fed up ! Ive suggested joining a group, but no she
doesn’t want to be with the old folk.
She’s also being a nuisance now phoning her grandchildren at least twice a week wanting to know what their up to. I phone everyday, but it’s not enough she phones me back most days. I’ve been told off today because I didn’t answer her call, I was in the garden ! It’s really getting on top of me and I feel like running away. Anybody got any ideas ?

Serendipity22 Sun 09-Jan-22 17:13:37

You certainly are NOT moaning, no way is it classed as that. Its difficult i know, i have no brothers or sisters and my mums care was absolute solely down to me. She was a joy to be around and with me being in the care line of work, i was in the know to A, B and C, which made life sooooo much easier. She had more equipment in her house than the local hospital haaa. But of course equipment can't replace company i know.

My DD had 2 children at the time and i was able (back then) to juggle helping my DD and my mum. They call us 'The Sandwich Generation'... a very good description.

Your poor mum is doing nothing wrong in wanting to be surrounded by her family, bless her, but ( yes there's a BUT) when everyone is leading such busy lives, guilt wraps itself around you and others.....

So difficult for you, i have worn the shoes you wear. X

Katyj Sun 09-Jan-22 14:27:24

Hi serendipity.No mum doesn’t belong to a church unfortunately or anything else for that matter, but she does live on a main road and loves it, she loves seeing the school children everyday and the busyness of the road, but still it’s not enough.
She just loves her family, and wants us there constantly, she doesn’t do too bad to be honest probably has four visits a week from family plus carers three times a day. I just find it so difficult being an only one, trying to spread myself so thinly between her, my family and my job. Some people have much harder times though, so I’m going to stop moaning for now ?

Serendipity22 Sun 09-Jan-22 12:24:29

I am returning to your thread Katyj
I apologise if someone has already mentioned the following, despite reading all replies, i cant remember them all ... sorry.

My mum had a better social life than me haha, she attended various events that were run at the village hall, lunch club on a Tuesday and seniors on a Thursday, then she attended various events run by her church. Does your mum go to church? They run an awful lot of interesting things for the elderly.

Also, i believe 1 factor that lifts the spirits is where they live, i will explain. My mum lived in a house in the village that is situated on the main road, so it was a constant stream of cars, walkers, joggers, cyclists, horse riders, literally the outside world passing by and she used to say to me "I am as content as content." I realise you can't uproot your mum to somewhere where there is a view to life, i am just saying that that does help enormously, i believe.

I really do hope that the situation you and your mum are in, eases and becomes a more positive one, its heartbreaking it really is.

flowers

Katyj Sat 08-Jan-22 06:25:31

Hi soropitmum. Do you mean an alarm run by a private company. My mums is wrist falls alarm,if she falls it goes off ,or if she presses it someone comes through the phone line to ask what the problem is, then if needed they phone me, if I’m on holiday I have to find someone that will take over.

Soroptimum Fri 07-Jan-22 20:37:41

Katyj - I’m an only child too, so completely understand how you feel. Fortunately for me my 87 yr old mum is very undemanding, and understands how busy her grandchildren and great grandchildren are, as do I!
She has an alarm that’s linked to an outside company, have you considered this? Worth a try.

Katyj Thu 06-Jan-22 08:48:00

Hetty. I agree with you, I really wish mum would go into care, I’m sure she would benefit from the company, and having her meals made too. She eats very little, but when something is made for her, eats a small portion but at least eats it. She won’t consider ready meals, says their tasteless, I’ve taken my meals over for her, but she wasn’t eating them and I found them still in the fridge days later. She has very little appetite s frequently feels sick.
There are no solutions at the moment, she’s refusing to move anywhere. But as you say I’m very unhappy and have no peace of mind. I can’t switch off, I’m awake half the night wondering if she’s going to press her alarm, it’s taking its toll ?

Hetty58 Thu 06-Jan-22 08:36:25

Katyj, when I read this, I immediately thought:

'Time for residential care?'

(sorry, folks, but nobody should have to sacrifice their life/free time/peace of mind for another - whatever their age - should they?)

Katyj Thu 06-Jan-22 08:23:33

Thank you Tilly and Chardy you both have good insight into my predicament. I visit 2/3 times a week, do her shopping, household bills hospital appointments etc , I’m 64 still work part time and have young grandchildren, but of course this is still not enough, dh helps were he can with her too, as well as supporting me.
Your right about mums grandchildren, she does expect them to visit, and bring her dgc with them, but as we all know they are all working full time and barely have any family time for themselves, never mind anything else. Mum has a cleaner, but doesn’t really get on with her, or her neighbours anymore come to that.
Loneliness is a real problem these days isn’t it, but she’s very lucky to have visitors everyday, but it’s family that she really wants around all the time, and as I’m an only one there’s only so much I can do.

Chardy Thu 06-Jan-22 08:09:10

My mother who died a few years ago in her 90s, used to talk about being made, by her parents, to visit her grandmother every week for afternoon tea. Obviously this was with her parents as a small child, but I think she went on her own later. Your mother, KatyJ is a similar generation, and possibly could have expectations that her grandchildren and great-grandchildren would do this for her.

TillyTrotter Thu 06-Jan-22 07:44:09

Sorry, that was a long post!

TillyTrotter Thu 06-Jan-22 07:43:58

Katyj you are doing your very best for your mum even though it doesn’t ever feel like it to you as still your mum complains.
When MIL was that age and no longer went out DH arranged for Carers to help with personal care, medication and getting ready for bed, a weekly hairdresser, ready meals deliveries regularly, a foot-care lady, and best of all a cleaner twice a week.
He visited several times a week too. We were both working.
The cleaning lady was a gem and she became a friend. DH said to her that if DM wants to talk, sit and talk with her, turn the radio or TV on, or run an errand for her. Her role as it were, was not to be constantly cleaning as the flat did not need it.
The cleaner was young and had a school age daughter and in the school holidays she took her to visit MIL. They sat and crayoned together !
MIL would have said she had a lonely life but as others have said there is only so much you can do. Take care Katyj ?

Katyj Thu 06-Jan-22 06:33:43

Hi. She wouldn’t cope with a phone befriender unfortunately, she can’t hear well enough to have a full conversation. She has carers 3 times a day they stay 30 mins and always have a chat, even though she complains about them she would really miss them.
I can’t take her out at the moment as she’s having frequent dizzy spells, I tried before Christmas but she had to sit down twice in the middle of an isle, it panics me then as I’m not sure if I going to be able to get in back in the car and home again.
I’m trying to persuade her to have a wheelchair then at least, she’d be sat down and not at risk of falling, providing I can manage to lift it into the car in the first place ?

HowVeryDareYou Wed 05-Jan-22 19:35:31

How about contacting AgeUk and asking for a telephone befriender? Or arranging carers to go in to visit as company for an hour a day? Perhaps even once a week, for a couple of hours to take your mum shopping/to have her hair done/to a cafe?

Katyj Wed 05-Jan-22 18:05:17

Oh thank goodness for people like you serendipity, it’s lovely that you enjoy it just as much as the people you visit. I’m still battling away with mums loneliness. The trouble is she doesn’t think she’s old, and can’t believe she’s 90, she thinks she’ll be better soon and able to go out and about, she hates that she has carers and complains about them, even sending one home the other day because she mentions that her little one was poorly ?

Serendipity22 Wed 05-Jan-22 16:09:14

Its heartbreaking for the elderly because some are so lonely and as you say, the GC and GGC have jobs and busy lives.

I was a carer all my working life ( over 30 years ) a job i loved with a passion, then an illness prevented me from continuing so i have been thinking of voluntering with the sitting service, to keep others company, bring a bit of cheer and laughter to their lonely lives so maybe you could get in touch with your local council and enquire about the sitting service. There is an awful lot of help out there. Age UK they are a minefield of information. I have 4 ladies who live local that i visit, we have a cuppa and a laugh its absolutely brilliant.

flowers

Katyj Sat 09-Oct-21 05:11:40

Shandy it’s a sorry state of affairs isn’t it. Your friend was lucky she had you. Mum has two friends, they’ve become a little distant lately, they can’t talk on the phone much they are all deaf but do meet up every other Saturday.

She’s not short of visitors to be honest, carers 3 times a day a cleaner once a week, I visit twice a week, her niece pops in now and again and at least three phone calls a day.
It’s family she wants more than anything, and she misses being able to go on holiday, she loved dancing but hasn’t come to terms with her disability’s yet, an iPad wouldn’t be any good, as she has short term memory loss and even forgets how to use the phone sometimes ,plus poor eyesight.
Not to worry, I’ll keep on keeping on, and try and relax on my days off, DH taking me out today, I’ve got a lot to be thankful for xx

User7777 Sat 09-Oct-21 01:06:11

She sounds with it, no dementia. Get her an Ipad, show her how to access forums of her interests. Lots of chat on them, if she wants to try. She might impart wisdom to others, that might be lonely or struggling

Shandy57 Sat 09-Oct-21 00:39:50

Since reading your post Katyj, I've been thinking of my old friend at the BBC who died in 2017, aged 90. She didn't have any kids, but a very remote 'niece' suddenly appeared out of the woodwork just before her death, and couldn't read her address book to let anyone know, apparently. I was very upset to learn of her death through the BBC Ariel website.

I stopped working with her in 1974, but we kept in touch with cards/letters and the odd phone call, although it was difficult for her to hear at the end. She always said 'all my friends are dead' to me in the last year of her life - luckily I'd known them, and could talk about them with her.

Could you contact any of your Mum's friends that are still alive, that could talk about the past?

nadateturbe Sat 09-Oct-21 00:21:59

I do feel for you Katyj. I remember my mum saying I hope God forgives you for leaving me alone, as I left one day. Poor mum, I felt sorry for her, but I had to go. It's not easy being old.
I think it's worth exploring to see if you can get any more company for her, just to make you feel better. But I'm not sure it will stop your mum complaining. As someone said it's really family she wants to see.
I think you need to tell yourself you are doing your best and ignore her complaints and don't feel guilty.

maddyone Fri 08-Oct-21 23:37:08

Katy I’m so pleased that you’ve got a lovely husband to help you. Try to share more with him with regard to your mother, I’m sure it will be fine and he’ll be more than happy to share your burden.

Hithere Fri 08-Oct-21 18:45:29

Pippa

That is exactly what I said, fully agree

PippaZ Fri 08-Oct-21 18:44:31

Hithere

I know plenty will disagree with me

Being old and sick does not override the needs of others - it is a compromise between all parties.

You may, one day, need people to make allowances for what you can actually do Hithere.

Katyj Fri 08-Oct-21 17:43:36

Hi. Maddy. What would we do without each other.only people that have been through or going through similar can really understand the mental and physical drain it has on us.
The guilt is terrible, as is listening to the same conversation numerous times a day. It’s not their fault but it’s not ours either, it seems we have to find a way of dealing with it all.
Fortunately I have a lovely DH he has very broad shoulders !, he is a sensitive soul though, so I don’t tell him half of what goes on, that’s part of the trouble I try and protect everyone.
My mum was the Carer in her family too. And there lies the problem, she thinks everyone should do the same . We are very different people, it’s my idea of hell.
Like I said my dad fell ill when I was 26 I’ve seen so much through the years I really can’t take much more, phone calls through the night riding in the back of ambulances, hours waiting in hospitals. ICU, high dependency units, rehab units COVID wards I’ve seen the lot. I’ve actually developed a phobia of a and e now and I shake like mad and feel really ill, but there is no one else.
It seems you have been there too. I’m really keeping my fingers crossed for you now and hope you can battle through once more ,and get your mum settled and well cared for.What I’d give for that.The very best of luck to you. Keep posting.

maddyone Fri 08-Oct-21 16:50:34

KatyJ I’ve only just found your thread that you mentioned on my thread. I think you’re my sister because we seem to have the same mother! I know how difficult and draining it is to have an elderly parent who sees you as her main lifeline. You feel so responsible but at the same time resentful that so much is expected of you, and in your case, you’re still working as well. Guilt is the feeling that drives us, we feel guilty that we don’t do enough, and yet we are doing as much as we can. I know exactly what you mean about being a carer. I wonder if your mother was ever a carer? Chances are that she wasn’t. My mother’s own mother died when my mother was 56 and she had spent the last six years either in hospital or in a care home, so my mother never had these kind of responsibilities. Mum also had two siblings to help with everything, visiting and anything that had to be done. I’m like you, I might as well be an only child because my only sister lives 250 miles away and suffers from mental health difficulties. Anyway she has no more intention of helping with anything to do with Mum than a banana has. It’s down to me, just like you Katy, but my husband is incredibly helpful and supportive. You don’t mention a partner so maybe you are dealing with all this alone, which would make things more difficult for you.

Katy you don’t go on a bit, you need support because you’re dealing with such an incredibly difficult situation, and you need to talk about it. Sometimes just talking about it can help, and as you won’t want to burden your children with this, Gransnet is an ideal forum for getting a little support.

Strangely my mother regularly has a ‘funny head’ and declares that she’s ill. Yesterday she said that very thing and was in bed when I visited her in her nursing home in the afternoon. Whatever you do, don’t stop her carers because they don’t only look after her, they are a bit of company for her too. They will know if she’s really ill and let you know. I was on call 24/7 when my mother lived in her sheltered apartment, and it does cause great stress knowing the call could come at any moment. And did, several times. You have to stop whatever you’re doing and go immediately, and then usually wait for the ambulance to arrive, which can be quite a while. Once the call came when we were looking after our daughter’s three children, but as there were two of us, my husband went, I continued the childcare. If you’re alone, that could be extremely difficult for you.

I’m sorry, I’ve warbled on and the only advice I can give you is that which was given to me by other Gransnetters. That is don’t go every day, try to keep a life of your own. You are not responsible for your mother’s happiness (difficult one) and since she has lived to a great age, she has to accept the loss of many things she enjoyed when she was younger and more able. I know they don’t want to do this, but they must. It’s a fact of life.

Good luck flowers

Hithere Fri 08-Oct-21 16:17:23

Trisher

Depending on the situation, there is no win win at all.

If requests are too unreasonable, both sides are going to get hurt and resentful