Gransnet forums

Care & carers

Walk in baths - anybody have one?

(24 Posts)
Katek Mon 06-Jun-22 22:15:57

My sil’s 86 year old mother is thinking of having one installed, but my sil isn’t sure if this is the best thing for her mum. She has several health issues including macular degeneration and very limited mobility. Does anyone have any experience of these baths they could share?

Dustyhen2010 Mon 06-Jun-22 22:22:55

Do you mean the ones with the door in the side? They are not great as people get cold waiting for the water to fill and drain out. Better get a low level shower with rails and shower seat. Speak to the social work department and ask for an occupational therapy assessment. They will advise as to the best bathing option for her.

Dustyhen2010 Mon 06-Jun-22 22:26:50

Also once the therapist comes out he/she will check that there are no other problem areas eg difficulty getting on/off toilet, in/out bed or chair etc

Esspee Tue 07-Jun-22 06:20:30

A neighbour had a walk in bath installed, it wasn’t a success as he only heated the living room making the bathroom extremely cold in winter. Having to sit in the water until it all drained out before being able to open the door meant he got chilled and quickly stopped using it.
I feel when I get less mobile a bidet and shower would be a perfect combination.

FarNorth Tue 07-Jun-22 07:56:12

That sounds an excellent idea, Esspee.

Whitewavemark2 Tue 07-Jun-22 08:53:27

Those whizzy all doing lavatories sound good but at thousands of pounds I won’t be buying one very soon. But we have just had a bathroom “old-aged”. So, higher lavatory (highly recommended) and walk in shower plus higher wash hand basin. All much more practical and comfortable.

A walk in bath sounds chilly to me tbh

Whitewavemark2 Tue 07-Jun-22 09:00:13

Just to add that i am 5 7 so the new higher loo would not do for you little people, your legs would be dangling??

Athrawes Tue 07-Jun-22 09:58:35

I'd love to be able to have a bath again with bubbles and have been looking at baths for those of us with disabilities in magazines. However the idea of having to wait until the bath fills/empties is not appealing so I must continue to shower. I think you've got to have a tough skin to wait until this sort of bath empties - and it seems the older one gets the colder you tend to feel!!!

Katek Tue 07-Jun-22 12:26:01

Thanks for all your thoughts. Will pass them on to sil

Dustyhen2010 Tue 07-Jun-22 13:18:33

Athrawes

I'd love to be able to have a bath again with bubbles and have been looking at baths for those of us with disabilities in magazines. However the idea of having to wait until the bath fills/empties is not appealing so I must continue to shower. I think you've got to have a tough skin to wait until this sort of bath empties - and it seems the older one gets the colder you tend to feel!!!

You can get a bath lift that will lower and raise you to allow bathing. Again speak to your community Occupational Therapist who will know what is available and most suitable for you.

1987H2001M2002Inanny Mon 09-Jan-23 13:35:54

I was a home carer and bathed/showered many people. I found a bath lift the easiest and safest thing to use. With a side door bath the person needs to be able to lower and raise themselves which is not easy for many older/disabled people.

Gingerrice Mon 09-Jan-23 14:02:56

Totally endorse getting OT assessment but also wanted to comment that my mother used an inflatable bath seat that lowered her into the water then inflated again to get out. It was very good for her but she had good eyesight for operating the controls . May not suit the lady in question . And I would always also suggest having someone in the house or carer present when using any of these devices. Many elderly flinch at paying for care or help of any sort but its often money well spent if it means staying accident free in your own house for longer. And once mum employed a carer she became one of her best friends ....not for everyone but just sayingwink

GrannySomerset Tue 17-Jan-23 19:30:48

When it became impossible for my DH to get in and out of the bath we bought a bath lift from a local firm who produced aids for elderly living. He could not operate it himself so bathing him became another task which fell to me but we got quite a few laughs out of the process, and the fact that he could sit whilst I dried most of him was a great advantage. I don’t understand why people won’t use savings for things like that and a stair lift which give them much longer in their own homes.

SpringyChicken Tue 17-Jan-23 22:45:56

We have no bath, only a large walk in shower which occupies the whole space where the bath used to be. When we are too old to manage, we'll buy a seat and sit down to shower and probably fit a grab rail. The controls are on the wall at the entrance to the shower so we don't get wet waiting for the water to warm up.

There is no door, just a large glass screen. Consequently, there is no nasty shock of cold air rushing in when a shower door opens. It's a really pleasant way to shower.

Kim19 Wed 18-Jan-23 04:53:26

I've always wondered about this 'waiting time' with these sitting up baths. Now I've had my negative thoughts cobfirmed. Thank you contributors!

Calendargirl Wed 18-Jan-23 07:25:33

Looking at tv adverts for these types of baths, there often looks a fair step-up to get in. Anyone with mobility problems wouldn’t find it easy to enter, I would think.

karmalady Wed 18-Jan-23 07:43:24

esspee, I bought a portable bidet from amazon and use a jug to fill it from the sink. The bidet from amazon is fantastic, has holes at the back in case of overfilling. It is now four years old and as good as new. For use I just put it on the open toilet, fill it, use it and tip it up to empty

I already have a good-sized, non-slip walk in shower in that en suite.

henetha Wed 18-Jan-23 10:51:08

I haven't had a bath for fifteen years. And I miss them. But my shower cubicle is good and roomy.
I'm glad I read this thread as my occasional wonderings about a walk in bath are now over. They don't sound brilliant.

Grantanow Wed 18-Jan-23 11:52:09

Sitting in a bath waiting for it to drain sounds like purgatory. No thanks! I agree an OT assessment is a good idea. OTs are well trained to consider all the factors.

AreWeThereYet Wed 18-Jan-23 13:48:41

With eyesight and mobility diminishing something that keeps her feet on the floor is the best option - so a shower. Bath lifts are great if there is someone else there to help her bathe. Although my FiL point blank refused to use his after a while, even with a carer there, but we never found out why.

The only walk-in baths I am aware of need you in the bath while it fills and empties - care homes use them a lot and we always had to wrap people up in towels to keep them warm even when the bathrooms were quite warm.

I agree with getting an assessment. There are loads of mobility options, and a lot depends on whether the lady is intending/able to bathe alone.

Soozikinzi Wed 18-Jan-23 14:05:27

My MiL had a bath lift given to her which was very good . It's like a seat on the bath that lowers then lifts you out again. We were Surprised how good it was.

JaneJudge Wed 18-Jan-23 14:06:47

How about a walk in shower with a chair inside?

JaneJudge Wed 18-Jan-23 14:10:42

like this?

Luckygirl3 Wed 18-Jan-23 14:14:58

The alternative might be a bath aid like a MANGAR - that was the original make. Basically you run the bath, then sit on this aid (which at that stage is flush with the top of the bath, like a seat, and then you press a button and get lowered into the warm water. The OT would be able to advise.