Gransnet forums

Care & carers

CHC assessment while in discharge to assess bed

(11 Posts)
Notjustaprettyface Wed 01-Nov-23 15:44:39

Hello
I posted recently on whether I should have my husband back home or make a care home the permanent option
I received loads of helpful comments and I thank you all for that
As I said earlier, my husband is in a nursing home in a discharge to assess bed funded by the nhs for 6 weeks
They have just invited me to go along next Tuesday to a meeting where they will assess my husband for his long term needs etc
Some of you previously said that the assessment was awful and I wonder if anybody could elaborate on that ?
My husband has still got a bad pressure sore , huge issues with mobility , low mood and incontinence
On top of that , he is not eating very well and has lost a lot of weight
I am quite scared of this meeting because I remember some of you said I would have to stand my ground
Nobody has been round to assess the suitability of the house for him to come back home
We haven’t been allocated a social worker yet
We are 2and a half weeks into the 6 weeks which are free
Can the funding continue in some form after these 6 weeks ?
I realise I am asking a lot of questions but I find it very complex , I don’t trust the nhs and I just hope you can help me
Thank you in advance

Theexwife Wed 01-Nov-23 16:04:18

Unless things have changed funding is not available after 6 weeks if you have over £23,000. Your home is not taken into account if one of you is still living in it.

If at all possible you will be encouraged to have care provided in your own home.

If care is fully funded it will not be your choice of home.

I accompanied a friend to an assessment regarding her aunt, due to the cost and shortage of space it was decided that she go home with 4 carers visiting a day.

Take someone with you to the assessment, it can be very difficult to get what you want as it is about what is best for the patient , which is often thought to be in their own home.

silverlining48 Wed 01-Nov-23 16:04:53

I don’t think you need to be worried about the meeting on Tuesday. Go with your questions and concerns which they will answer and please trust them to do their best to help you and your dh. Keep calm and you will be fine.

silverlining48 Wed 01-Nov-23 16:05:52

Meant to say take someone with you.

Primrose53 Wed 01-Nov-23 16:27:58

Have a look at Care To Be Different website.

M0nica Wed 01-Nov-23 16:48:14

Again, take someone with you, ideally one of your children, otherwise a friend or relation who knows you, your house and your DH

Germanshepherdsmum Wed 01-Nov-23 17:05:32

I’m not sure about one of the children - iirc from the previous thread they wanted OP’s husband to return home. I would certainly take a friend who understands your situation.

I have no experience on which to base advice but I wish you well in achieving what is best for you. Stay strong. .💐

maddyone Wed 01-Nov-23 17:26:55

My mother was discharged into a care home after a hospital admission and it was funded by the NHS. Although the funding was supposed to last only six weeks, she was actually funded for three months because she was unfit to go home. After the funding stopped she had to self fund, which she did, although we found a different care home for her.
I would definitely advise you to take someone along to the meeting with you. Make a list of your questions and concerns and ensure they are answered, this is where your friend comes in. Share the list with your friend before you go.
Do you actually know what you want for your husband? Or are you looking for advice from the professionals? Remember if he comes home with carers that after six weeks you still have to pay unless you’re eligible for free care. However your home will need to be assessed and the NHS will pay for necessary adjustments such as a higher toilet seat and other aids to make your home suitable for your husband.

LOUISA1523 Wed 01-Nov-23 17:41:03

Theexwife

Unless things have changed funding is not available after 6 weeks if you have over £23,000. Your home is not taken into account if one of you is still living in it.

If at all possible you will be encouraged to have care provided in your own home.

If care is fully funded it will not be your choice of home.

I accompanied a friend to an assessment regarding her aunt, due to the cost and shortage of space it was decided that she go home with 4 carers visiting a day.

Take someone with you to the assessment, it can be very difficult to get what you want as it is about what is best for the patient , which is often thought to be in their own home.

I think Op is talking about fully funded NHS CHC funding assessment.... very hard to get ....but free care.... it can be at home ...or in a home

LOUISA1523 Wed 01-Nov-23 17:46:30

Op have a look at CHC checklist before you go.... there are ? 11 domains around the daily activities of living....and the scores are AB or C

Twig14 Tue 05-Dec-23 17:57:24

My elderly almost 104 year old mother is in a care home. She’s been attacked by fellow residents three times! She is constantly falling has other health issues inc many infections she’s also deaf and her vision is deteriorating. She is self funding the fees per month are £4600. The home wasn’t making money and staff shortages a big issue. On one occasion earlier this year she didn’t receive medication requested by the hospital and consequently contracted pneumonia and almost died. I brought in CQC who investigated everything and their report stated all across the board red flagged inadequate. Last week I attended a meeting after I applied for continuing health care. I sat through a rigorous three hour meeting and was disgusted when falls were mentioned and the assessor asked a senior carer to provide her with a list of all her falls. The assessor looked snd said she’s not had enough falls! I said in that case does she have to fall every single day to qualify in your ‘Falls League table’. I have requested minutes of that meeting to date had nothing. Total waste of time and yes I agree the nhs isn’t good looking after our elderly.