Gransnet forums

Charities

Aid for Refugees

(42 Posts)
Eleanorre Sat 05-Sep-15 10:18:25

There seems to be a great push to collect goods to aid the refugees here in Scotland and collection points have been set up in lots of places . I have had a real look at my clothes and given the bulging wardrobes a good prune . They need lots of things like sleeping bags ( off to the loft to find some ) toiletries and of couse children's things. I have decided to go and buy some of these to-day to add to my collection. Please everyone think of these poor people and look for a local pick up point . I know that it would be easy to be cynical and wonder if the people really needing these things will get them but if it is local people delivering them the chances are good they will . I can only hope this is the case .

Iam64 Wed 09-Sep-15 20:25:28

One of our daughter's friends is collecting sleeping bags and other times, including children's clothes. They're going to a main collection point locally for onward transport to Calais.
I emailed our local refugee support group over a week ago, wanting to volunteer but haven't heard anything. I plan to phone them tomorrow. I saw a Save the Children ad on tv today, starving children in Africa - I was giving my 4 month old, chubby and thriving, grandson a bottle when the ad came on. The famine in Biafra was on tv when my grandson's mum was a new born - not a lot changes does it. I'm planning to send cash for the famine relief.
Feeling very fortunate, very sad and also, distressed by the selfishness and lack of simple compassion shown by some people in the face of the dreadful news on our tv screens currently.

jinglbellsfrocks Wed 09-Sep-15 20:31:36

I don't think criticising the way other people feel, helps at all.

Ana Wed 09-Sep-15 20:35:39

It did inject a sour note into what has been a positive and generous-spirited thread, I agree.

rosesarered Wed 09-Sep-15 21:40:48

What selfish people?

rosesarered Wed 09-Sep-15 21:42:51

Although I haven't seen tv for a few days. but I thought most people seem to be affected by their plight.

durhamjen Wed 09-Sep-15 21:56:35

There's not a cuddly toy or piece of clothing on the list, you'll be pleased to hear, jingl. It's all things like toothbrushes, baby wipes, disinfectant, plasters, first aid kits, etc.

durhamjen Wed 09-Sep-15 21:58:09

Iam, here's something you might be able to do to help some people in Calais.

www.change.org/p/david-cameron-mp-include-the-269-syrians-in-calais-in-uk-refugee-plan

Ana Wed 09-Sep-15 22:06:56

Yes, yet another petition which will have no effect whatsoever - that'll help the refugees...

durhamjen Wed 09-Sep-15 22:16:00

Over a million signatures on the petition about refugees got Cameron to make a statement this week, Ana. Not a good enough statement, but I think he said today that we might be able to accept 20,000 Syrian refugees this year. That's another change because of people petitioning.

You appear to have forgotten what you said further up the page, about sour notes in a positive thread, Ana.

Penstemmon Wed 09-Sep-15 22:22:18

As part of the WI centenary our WI had planned to collect 100 items to donate to a local Women's Refuge. We are now planning to collect 200 items so we can send to refugee women as well. We are making contact with charities already active to see what they need but sanitary pads, soaps, flannels etc. are likely to be the main items.

Ana Wed 09-Sep-15 22:24:32

No, I haven't forgotten what I said durhamjen. Why should you think that?

My scepticism about the value of petitions is just that - I'm not bewailing the lack of simple compassion shown by 'some people.

rosequartz Thu 10-Sep-15 14:40:53

I don't know if nappies are on the lists; in some of the refugee camps in Turkey mothers resorted to using polythene bags on their babies; some developed such terrible sores they required hospital treatment (after aid workers had finally persuaded the men to let them past to examine the babies).

Of course essentials are desperately needed, but I still think a little child in distress would be comforted by a small soft toy, at least that is what I have been given to understand by people who have been carrying out this humanitarian work for years, not just in the present crisis.

durhamjen Thu 10-Sep-15 15:47:37

Nappies are on my list, and sani towels.

rosequartz Fri 11-Sep-15 19:41:07

It must be awful for girls and women without the above djen

Nelliemoser Sat 12-Sep-15 16:53:59

I think some decent soft toys could be of great benefit for the children who must be so traumatised.

There is nothing wrong with decent second hand clothing as long as it is sent clean and wearable. I am sure many on here buy from charity shops.

rosequartz Sat 12-Sep-15 18:43:26

Nothing wrong at all, Nelliemoser; however I have heard from an established small charity that some of the clothing sent was not clean or fit for re-use!