Gransnet forums

Charities

AIBU

(69 Posts)
annsixty Wed 23-Nov-16 15:56:52

Last week I was shopping and paying by card. The total was £43;30. when I handed my card over the assistant asked if I would like to round it up to £44 for charity. I declined as I thought it was very inappropriate to be asked at the till,I felt sorry for the girl who I assume has been told to ask everyone. If asked at every shop I use and it could be anything up to a £ each time it could be expensive. Has this happened to anyone else?

Direne3 Thu 24-Nov-16 16:31:12

Haven't encountered this YET so in the event I have a planned response which will be 'that's not the way I contribute'.

Theoddbird Thu 24-Nov-16 17:20:05

I have only been asked this once. It was a national charity on the particular day for that charity so a one off day and I didn't mind rounding up to the next pound.

Marieeliz Thu 24-Nov-16 17:52:26

Last Saturday two youngsters where outside the Precinct with a collecting box. They were in Sea Cadet uniform. As an ex Wren I made a donation. This is how I donate I do not give my name or address or sign up to anything.

Jalima Thu 24-Nov-16 18:18:13

LewLew I haven't seen it yet; only popped in briefly earlier this week for some essentials!

Jalima Thu 24-Nov-16 18:23:15

LewLew I think it's meant to be a mickey-take of Misrilou from Pulp Fiction

Mauriherb Thu 24-Nov-16 18:25:42

I was recently in the body shop and they charged me 5p for a paper carrier. I questioned this as I had thought that the 5p charge only applied to plastic bags. I was told that I was right but they charge the 5p for charity. I didn't want to argue with the assistant over 5p but surely this should be voluntary rather than automatic

Bellanonna Thu 24-Nov-16 18:52:07

I thought that too. The payment is meant to discourage us from buying, rather than recycling, our plastic bags. Of course paper should be free but I see your point about not wanting to argue over 5p.

Spangles1963 Thu 24-Nov-16 19:05:44

Good grief! If I got asked this,I would be extremely pissed-off about it,and would be making a complaint to the store's manager. It seems that I cannot go anywhere these days without someone rattling a tin under my nose,or trying to get my bank account details off me. This would be the last straw! I get utterly sick to death of constantly being harassed by chuggers,charity collectors,junk mail,and phone calls,begging for money. I give on a regular basis to a couple of charities that are close to my heart. But that is it. I am on a limited low-income and cannot afford any more. And the 2 charities I support know this,and don't bombard me with requests 'to increase my donation'. They would get short shrift if they did. As for chuggers in every bloody high street,they are a menace IMO. Surely,the money they get paid for the job would be better spent going straight to the charity concerned? Going on the number of successful 'hits' they get from the public,this strikes me as a very inefficient way to raise money.

vickymeldrew Thu 24-Nov-16 19:12:18

Charities do such valuable work and are an essential tool in improving lives. Donations are entirely voluntary. Surely a request 'at the till' can be declined without taking umbrage. In order to raise money charities have to be increasingly innovative and I would suggest this simple idea contributes a lot to the coffers.

harrigran Thu 24-Nov-16 19:28:15

Charities do valuable work but why do the CEOs have to be pain vast salaries which all come out of donations ? Just google the main charity salaries, it is disgusting.

vampirequeen Thu 24-Nov-16 19:30:25

It's very embarrassing to say no when you have a queue behind who can hear you refuse. Last time I bought a toy from the Entertainer I was lectured by the assistant about how much money the company raises for charity this way.

I gave to charity today by choice. A lady with a MacMillan box who didn't shake it under my nose got all the money I had in my purse...admittedly not much but it was the widow's mite.

annodomini Thu 24-Nov-16 20:09:36

I know that garden centre very well, ann but haven't been there this month. However, forewarned is forearmed and I give to the charities I choose. Notcutts is well known across the country. I've been to at least two when I've been visiting family in Berkshire.

Lewlew Thu 24-Nov-16 21:20:17

Jalima Thanks... erm, I guess I have a Pulp Fiction knowledge deficit (and am glad!) grin

Jalima Thu 24-Nov-16 22:22:55

Confession time - I didn't know until I googled it because I hadn't seen it on the tv and I found it on Youtube!

FarNorth Fri 25-Nov-16 03:20:36

There's no legal requirement for shops to charge for paper bags, but they can if they want.
Why not? They've had to buy them in the first place.

Tina21 Fri 25-Nov-16 07:59:08

I have encountered this on some web-sites. I always decline. I really loathe chugging and do all that I can to discourage it.

As vendors have to pay a percentage to the bank on every card transaction I would like to know whether the banks are donating their 'cut' to the charity. AS they have not made a fuss of their largess I am guessing NOT.

I am not anti Charity, I sometimes pop my small change into the collecting boxes that are frequently on the counter

wilygran Fri 25-Nov-16 10:09:16

Chuggers earn more than pensioners, as do big companies. Like others here I only give to charities I choose, when I know how the money will be used.

Nananj Fri 25-Nov-16 18:47:44

In waitrose ,Three local good causes are nominated each month , £1000 pounds is divided up between the three causes according to the ammount of tokens collected for each cause .