Gransnet forums

Charities

Small triumphs!

(11 Posts)
grannyactivist Tue 04-Sep-18 15:50:07

Today there is one less homeless man living on the streets! One of my clients has been housed after sleeping rough for a long time and I am so happy I could do a little jig. (If only my dodgy knee and sciatica would allow it!) grin

Also today, one of my clients has had a brilliant response from our local Jobcentre, where the woman who deals with 'Vulnerable Customers' showed a determination to outwit the system that resulted in my client finally getting his Universal Credit Application sorted. He has had no income for months!

These are small triumphs for me and my team, but life-changing events for our clients.

Nonnie Tue 04-Sep-18 16:02:10

Good news is always welcome but especially for such people who do need so much extra help.

At the bus stop the other day and a woman started talking to me about the man nearby with his dog who now has a tent to lie in. She said she had been told he had moved here from the city because there were too many beggars there and we are a wealthy suburb where he might do better. She didn't know any of this, it was all rumour so I suggested to her that I wouldn't want to live on a street and I didn't know anyone who would. I said I didn't think it really would be anyone's lifestyle choice.

JudyJudy12 Tue 04-Sep-18 16:03:45

I assume it is a rare event if you have put it on here. Very good news.

Ilovecheese Tue 04-Sep-18 16:10:14

well done you and your team grannyactivist

Bathsheba Tue 04-Sep-18 16:20:16

Such good news. No wonder you are wanting to do a little jig grannya! Congratulations on such a lovely outcome from all your hard work.

Such good news. No wonder you are wanting to do a little jig grannya! Congratulations on such a lovely outcome from all your hard work.

grannyactivist Tue 04-Sep-18 22:45:12

JudyJudy12 It usually takes a huge amount of perseverance to get a homeless person into accommodation as there are a great many steps along the way. Every single one of our clients are on the street because, for whatever reason, they've 'slipped through the net' and have no support system to help them get back into the system. It takes us months of dealing with bureaucratic processes that are not fit for purpose to get them the help they need.

Sometimes along the way we meet a person in a position of some authority where they can, and do, help to address systemic problems. today was one of those days and they are always a cause for celebration.

As an example: I have a client who does not possess a working phone. If he had one he would have limited opportunities to charge one and no money to put credit on one. He does not have a computer or tablet and if he did he would have the same problem. He is also computer-illiterate, he has never even turned one on. The problem he has is that the ONLY way he can get Universal Credit and then sustain a claim is by smartphone or computer. All official DWP communications are by text/email and to sustain a UC claim he must check his online 'journal' DAILY. So whenever we manage to get a claim through we do get a little bit excited. smile

Bathsheba Tue 04-Sep-18 23:01:36

Oh dear, only just noticed my triple posting blush. Sorry, don't know how that happened!

phoenix Tue 04-Sep-18 23:55:08

GA you do such good, your persistence/perseverance is enabling people to make changes to their circumstances and their lives!

All power to you!

kittylester Wed 05-Sep-18 07:20:43

Brilliant news GA. Well done!