Gransnet forums

Charities

Is Children in Need drowning the many smaller charities?

(58 Posts)
Margs Wed 14-Nov-18 11:23:58

The run up to Children in Need Day starts way, way back in the year and gathers speed in October and is running at breakneck level by November - I feel the thousands of other charities hardly get a look in from the beginning of Autumn onwards.

Plus, it's doubtful that all but the bigger charities can come even close to trying to match the resources of the BBC when it comes to planning their various appeals campaigns. Certainly not the wall-to-wall coverage that the Beeb gives via radio & TV, and funded by the license fees too.

I wonder if Children in Need shares any of it's donations with the other charities (and not only for children but elderly, disabled, animals etc?)

PECS Thu 15-Nov-18 21:51:03

I think if you look on websites of charities you can see that for most big charities between 80%-95% of funds raised go directly to their 'field work' with 5%-20% being used for salaries and management/admin costs. All finance info is all publicly available. Many of the running costs are paid for by long established investments. To get the finances that charities need, to do their valuable work that many people depend upon, a great deal of management and admin is needed & that costs.

phoenix Thu 15-Nov-18 21:58:48

As I understand it, but may be wrong, the money raised by the Children in Need event is often used to help/fund smaller/local projects, I think there was something on Radio 4 today about a local charity that received funding from CIN.

Alygran Thu 15-Nov-18 22:03:29

CIN do fund projects in smaller charities. The charity where I am a trustee has a grant from them for 3 years to run activities for youngsters who are Carers.

phoenix Thu 15-Nov-18 22:08:18

Thank you Alygran for that clarification, I though that was the case, but good to have it confirmed!

HannahLoisLuke Thu 15-Nov-18 23:50:17

Oh dear, I'm now thoroughly disillusioned.
I only ever give to our local homeless shelter, usually donations of food, clothing and bedding, all new. They have a wish list of items that they need and local people can give whatever they care to.
I also buy my Christmas cards from the RNLI and donate small amounts to the air ambulance service.
After that, its local animal shelters, if and when I can afford it. Never Comic Relief or CiN as I feel it's grown far beyond the original purpose.

B9exchange Fri 16-Nov-18 23:00:32

You may recall the five minute film earlier with Francesca visiting children to give their parents a breathing space. Francesca's role at our local small Rennie Grove hospice at home charity is funded by CiN.

dinks13 Sat 17-Nov-18 05:44:37

Totally agree with you quizqueen.