Gransnet forums

Charities

Child Poverty

(186 Posts)
Sweetie222 Tue 20-Nov-18 20:33:18

We are always hearing about this, and I know a few single parents who regularly plead poverty. However, they never mention numbers.

I've been shocked to find out that so long as they work a few hours a week they often have over £800 per month from the government as well as perhaps £500 from ex partners. Do you think that the people who sympathise are aware of this?

GillT57 Mon 26-Nov-18 20:41:52

Trisher. Teaching assistant to teacher still requires a degree. The only difference is you are working and studying and it takes YEARS.

GrandmaMoira Mon 26-Nov-18 20:55:46

There are two other issues that have not been mentioned here. I think many young families manage only because grandparents help out. I buy most of my DGC clothes as well as paying for other things.
Whilst there are also some pensioners struggling, single people who are unemployed or have health problems have the lowest incomes and are offered the least help and often struggle a lot.

MrTumble Mon 26-Nov-18 20:59:49

Yes they do pay rent council/private landlord, but do not pay towards a mortgage. So you can have benefits of £600 plus rent ,but if you have a mortgage you have to pay it from the £600. smile

MissAdventure Mon 26-Nov-18 22:18:26

They pay a percentage of the rent.
Most private tenants have to pay a 'top up' amount, which can be 2 hundred a month. (Or more!)
The flat above me is

MissAdventure Mon 26-Nov-18 22:21:00

Bum! Posted too soon.
Anyway, the amount they pay is capped, depending on the size of the property.
I have been a working single parent, and a non working single parent of late, and I can assure you that its hard both ways round.
Actually better off working, which is as it should be, surely?

grannyactivist Mon 26-Nov-18 22:44:06

Old Batty I have The Wonderful Man who, when it all gets a bit much, lets me have a little weep on him, usually when I'm angry/upset about a client or a situation and I am not working in isolation, I'm part of a wonderful team of skilled and compassionate people; without them sharing the load it would be an impossible task. The woman who runs the local cafe and sees that the clients are fed has no training in working with our client group, but she and her staff are all superstars who deliver a lot of our practical help.

I should say too that I work with some very compassionate people who represent statutory bodies such as Housing, Social Work, Police, Outreach Teams etc. and they are all equally frustrated at being the gatekeepers of ever shrinking resources.

My greatest fear is that a client will die of an un-diagnosed illness, from hypothermia or from self harm. Because of that I sometimes have to give myself a bit of a talking to when people who have good health, warmth, food and beds to sleep in complain about minor things. I know that people are quite justified in having a little moan now and then, I do it myself, but I have to bite my tongue sometimes because I want to remind people to count their blessings.

Jennytree4 Tue 19-Feb-19 01:18:16

All the big Charities are corruot including Comic Relief and Children in Need. Why are their still children in this country and overseas still in dire need? Over the years bilions and billions have been ploughed into these charities. Where has all the money gone? British Red Cross hounded my son for money after he regularly donated and supported them; running marathons etc. It git to the stage when he was 24 years old and they were asking him to leave all his money to them in his will!!! After numerous begging letters and phone calls he saw reason and no longer gives to these big corporate organisations. I once tried to get help fir a British citizen in dire circumstances abroad; none of this Charities could help. It's a huge con. Also beware if NGO (Non Governmental Organisations) Totally Governmental and corrupt. I stick to small charities; donate blood and help in my local hospice. Don't part with any money. Most of it goes to Celebrities especially those who work with Children in Need and Comic Relief.

Jennytree4 Tue 19-Feb-19 01:21:11

Hear Hear I totally agree with you.

Nicenanny3 Tue 19-Feb-19 09:22:37

Agree Jennytree also we send billions of aid overseas why not help our own first if they need help. I only donate to my local hospice. Most of these so called big charities are run like a business making the top dogs running them rich.

Riverwalk Tue 19-Feb-19 10:06:11

Hear Hear I totally agree with you.

Who were you agreeing with Jennytree4 - your own post 3 minutes earlier?