Gransnet forums

Charities

Captain Toms charity to be investigated.

(28 Posts)
Jaxjacky Thu 10-Feb-22 22:11:13

Very sad if anything out of order is found.

www.salisburyjournal.co.uk/news/19915230.captain-sir-tom-moore-charity-investigation-accounts-published/

Peasblossom Thu 10-Feb-22 22:29:32

Just to be clear this is not the 33 million raised by his walk around his garden. That all went to the NHS Charities Together Fund.

This is a separate charity set up later.

lavendermine Thu 10-Feb-22 22:40:43

Oh dear!

Jaxjacky Fri 11-Feb-22 07:18:46

Thanks for clarifying Peasblossom, I should have done so.

HettyBetty Fri 11-Feb-22 07:29:52

It always seemed very dodgy to me. He was a sweet old man as far as I could tell but the whole thing was clearly to bring adulation to the family, especially that pushy daughter.

We gave money to a local relevant charity, we weren't happy about the whole Captain Tom thing and the way so many people fell for it.

PamelaJ1 Fri 11-Feb-22 07:49:48

I didn’t realise there were two different charities. I am glad that his effort seems to have been distributed as it should have been.

Galaxy Fri 11-Feb-22 07:56:37

The whole Captain Tom hysteria was very odd in my view but it was an unusual time. I was as convinced by it as I was by the clap for carers.

notgran Fri 11-Feb-22 08:04:47

I never give to these sort of charities. Nor do I give anything to "Children in Need" type events. Too much money is squandered. Interesting that this week a report condemning "Kid's Company" has been released. Another criminal waste of our money. My money goes to local charities or ones I know how their money is spent. Captain Tom, bless him, was a welcome distraction during Lockdown but I didn't buy or donate anything. My income isn't large enough to fritter away.

MissAdventure Fri 11-Feb-22 08:09:54

Can't say I'm surprised.
The whole family left me cold including captain Tom

love0c Fri 11-Feb-22 08:10:21

HettyBetty I am with you there. I never fell for it either!

Josieann Fri 11-Feb-22 08:15:56

love0c

HettyBetty I am with you there. I never fell for it either!

Yes, I know it was popular at the time, but it made me somewhat uncomfortable.

lemsip Fri 11-Feb-22 08:47:17

Peasblossom

Just to be clear this is not the 33 million raised by his walk around his garden. That all went to the NHS Charities Together Fund.

This is a separate charity set up later.

Thanks for clarifying this so I've pushed it up the page...

FindingNemo15 Fri 11-Feb-22 08:56:31

I agree totally with HettyBetty. Tom's daughter was and is a very pushy woman only out to gain brownie points and get her company publicity.

A figure of £164,000 for admin. fees was mentioned on the radio the other day too.

JaneJudge Fri 11-Feb-22 08:57:32

what is the 'management' element for? managing the grants or managing the charity?

I find it sad that the media has to find something bad in things that are supposed to be good. His daughter isn't a trained media star, she was just his daughter. I find people judging her character rather unpleasant. I know those that lived or worked locally knew the family had to put in security at the house as people kept getting into their garden, amongst other things.

25Avalon Fri 11-Feb-22 08:57:39

Lemsip how did you push Peasblossom’s post up the page? It is a good posting. I did wonder about the family setting up a separate charity when Captain Tom had gone. Pleased to hear all of the funds raised by him himself did go to charity.

Sarnia Fri 11-Feb-22 09:59:16

notgran

I never give to these sort of charities. Nor do I give anything to "Children in Need" type events. Too much money is squandered. Interesting that this week a report condemning "Kid's Company" has been released. Another criminal waste of our money. My money goes to local charities or ones I know how their money is spent. Captain Tom, bless him, was a welcome distraction during Lockdown but I didn't buy or donate anything. My income isn't large enough to fritter away.

I wholeheartedly agree with you. Our local school is fund raising for a sensory room to be built in their grounds. It will be a calm space for children with special needs or the quieter children who just need to chill out a little. I don't have any grandchildren there but we have supported various events they have held to swell the coffers. In Tesco this morning the self-service checkout asked me if I would like to 'round up my shopping' and before I presented my debit card at the petrol station last week it asked me if I wanted to donate. No thanks.

Galaxy Fri 11-Feb-22 10:02:14

I am not sure why people think local charities would be any less vulnerable to fraud, mismanagement etc.

notgran Fri 11-Feb-22 11:57:47

Galaxy

I am not sure why people think local charities would be any less vulnerable to fraud, mismanagement etc.

Local charities that I donate to, I will know the fund raisers involved and see were my money has gone. No one is being employed and it isn't silly amounts of money, like Children in Need where millions of pounds are raised. I am also very selective which Charity Shops get my stuff.

Galaxy Fri 11-Feb-22 11:59:37

What do you mean how can a charity function without anyone being employed. What do they do?

Chestnut Fri 11-Feb-22 12:05:24

Galaxy

What do you mean how can a charity function without anyone being employed. What do they do?

I was part of a civic society which was a charity. We all worked on a voluntary basis and a great deal of effort and hours were spent running events, collecting memberships and installing blue plaques. No-one was employed or paid.

Galaxy Fri 11-Feb-22 12:10:22

That's incredibly rare though and in my experience when people are talking about local charities they are talking about those with paid employees. And there is absolutely no guarantee I am afraid that those who arent being paid may also commit fraud. I am sure you were absolutely honest chestnut but those giving money to you cant know that for sure. Its I think a false reassurance.

25Avalon Fri 11-Feb-22 12:45:09

There was a local charity near me a few years back where the organiser made off with all the funds. I seem to remember a pub collecting for a charity and the landlord who organised it stealing the money. There needs to be accountability locally or nationally.

Blondiescot Fri 11-Feb-22 13:02:59

I understand what people are saying about things like Children in Need, but I work for a very local charity which runs a centre for children with additional support needs and the grant funding we receive from them has been an absolute lifesaver! We have been able to run so many activities and provide so much support not just for the children but for their families too, so please don't dismiss Children in Need out of hand - they do provide absolutely vital funding for many little local charities around the country.

Galaxy Fri 11-Feb-22 13:35:07

Yes the same for the charity I work for blondiescott (which has its issues like any organisation) I am not even a particular cheerleader for children in need but they keep many small local charities afloat.

Pepper59 Fri 11-Feb-22 14:41:40

I once worked for a charity but I am very uneasy when various family members are involved. There may be nothing untoward, but I don't think it looks right.