Gransnet forums

Charities

Chuggers

(39 Posts)
Ellie Anne Tue 12-Apr-22 16:23:16

Today I was approached by a young lady campaigning for a deaf childrens charity. She was very nice but obviously going through a script and very hard to interrupt without being rude. She only stopped when she got out the iPad to get information and I managed her to tell her I would not be signing up for anything and told her which charities we support on a regular basis. I know it’s a difficult job and she was only trying to earn a living but I find it a bit threatening and usually manage to avoid them.

Dickens Sat 08-Oct-22 15:37:41

crazyH

nexus - aren’t you lucky to be living in the West End ! Your house is probably worth a fortune !

... gosh, that's a bit personal!

What has the value of her house got to do with giving to charity or signing up at the request of a chugger?

Dickens Sat 08-Oct-22 15:53:20

This reflects one of the problems with our increasingly cashless culture.

People were willing to dig into their pockets or purse to put money into the chuggers' buckets, but not so happy to sign-up to something they hadn't the time to consider, nor hand over their bank details to complete strangers in the street.

I'd organise it differently - ask people to make a 'one-off' donation and get the charity to give their bank details for the payment.

BlueBelle Sat 08-Oct-22 16:15:22

We don’t have any in town Centre now but previously I just would smile and walk on it’s for me to decide what charity to respond to

Curtaintwitcher Sat 08-Oct-22 16:19:32

Anything which discourages the public from shopping in their town centre should be banned by councils. We have seen from 'lockdown' the impact of people buying on-line. Being harassed by anyone while out should be illegal.
If I see someone standing with a collection box and a tray of poppies/daffodils etc., inviting people to donate, then I am usually happy to do so. I make regular donations by phone and I shop in charity shops....because I choose to not because I have been goaded into doing so.

biglouis Tue 11-Oct-22 00:53:28

Theres no way Im giving my card details to some random in the street.

silverlining48 Tue 11-Oct-22 09:03:34

I think the person collecting ‘customers’ gets quite a decent commission fir everyone they sign up which goes on for some period of time.
So no, I have charities I contribute to directly and would not agree to do this.

Sago Tue 11-Oct-22 09:25:24

It’s wrong!
When my mother went into a home and I took over her financial affairs I discovered she had signed up to so many charities.
A small fortune was going out every month.

M0nica Tue 11-Oct-22 09:39:52

I smile, say ' I am not interested in donating to this charity' and keep walking.

swimcold Tue 11-Oct-22 10:54:42

Sago - same here my Mum went into a home recently loads of money going out each money on charity direct debits.

LizzieDrip Sun 30-Oct-22 09:43:11

I don’t like this way of fund raising. TBH I’d be surprised if they raised much for whatever charity it is. I would imagine people being hesitant about giving bank details to a stranger in the street - I know I wouldn’t give them my details.

grannysyb Sun 30-Oct-22 09:52:15

Recently, we have had people knocking on the front door, l always say no. Looked it up apparently it's legal.

Oldwoman70 Sun 30-Oct-22 09:57:54

I was approached by someone collecting for the local Air Ambulance. I was willing to make a cash donation but they said they were only looking for people to sign up for regular payments. I declined. Another time I was approached by a couple asking me to sign up for Alzheimers Society, again they were not taking cash donations.

There are certain local charities which I support and while I am willing to make the occasional cash donation to other charities I don't want to commit to donating any more money on a regular basis.

Beautful Sun 30-Oct-22 10:07:37

As soon as anyone approaches me I put my hand up & say ' No thank you ' & walk off ... why oh why do people give their bank details to someone in the street ... any one can hear !