Gransnet forums

Chat

Things I am now too old to do (a list)

(95 Posts)
twinklepickers Fri 06-May-11 21:56:09

1. I can no longer touch my toes (but frankly they are awful and I wouldn't want to).
2. I can no longer pretend to like people (I've become quite blunt lately and as a consequence, less popular).
3. Wear high heels (such pretty shoes in my wardrobe but just not worth the day after).

What are you now to old to do.

ceecee152 Sun 08-May-11 17:47:12

Weed the garden without getting back-ache. Time to downsize to a flat with a balcony!

dahlia Sun 08-May-11 18:30:49

I don't spend time reading a book cover to cover if it fails to grab my attention after the first chapter or so. (In this way I missed the charms of "Snows Falling on Cedars" for six years, until home from work sick with only this book unread on the shelf, so it's not always for the best!)

Contrary to Mollie, I now find it more rewarding to at least try to find the good in everyone.

No good in short skirts - varicose veins a blot on the landscape.

I've given up on trying to keep abreast of pop trends - Jules Holland is about my level.

Too old to do lunges - if I ever could.

But now old enough to use Gransnet - heaven be praised!

edsnana Sun 08-May-11 19:38:45

Def too old to drink anymore, the after effects are just too awful.
To be bothered about dust.
To even try to understand why the remote controls don't just say "play, stop, fast forward", etc, the symbols just look like gobbledeegook to me

upsydaisy Sun 08-May-11 19:56:50

talking of being too old to carry a tampon. Hoping someone can help. Not had a period since November last year, I'm hoping that's it, finished, no more, that's five whole months, is that it now? Or does anyone know different, are they going to come back to haunt me 'just when I thought it was all over' hmm

edsnana Sun 08-May-11 20:21:12

think it's a year before you can consider it over and done with sadly!

bikergran Sun 08-May-11 20:31:38

Well!! I didnt read the "small print did I" hmm

that all grandmas MUST! be able to jump and bounce on trampolines!

(oh my gosh! have you evr been on one of those things) shock

katied Sun 08-May-11 20:56:56

How I have laughed at your comments Grans! Thank you for explaining 'mooncups' for me. Things I cant do anymore - its easy,
I cant do four things at once, only three.
I admire people who can ignore children behaving badly in a resturant and wonder why the parents/grandparents dont take them to pizza hut!
I cant ignore bad language - I feel I have to reprimand people, who usually and surprisingly apologise to me.
I cant give up my high heels and treat myself to regular pedicures to repair the damage.
Like edsnana I cant be bothered to worry about dust.
I cant give up my precious time to worry about keeping fit, loosing weight, lowering blood pressure or worrying about things I cant control
grin

upsydaisy Sun 08-May-11 20:57:40

haha, bikergran I would love to go on a trampoline, know what you mean though, especially with kids bouncing around on it at the same time. Unfortunately my grandson is only 1 so too young plus my daughter doesn't have a garden and mines on a slope - not good for trampolining I wouldn't think. I'm a bikergran too by the way, I ride a pushbike and a 250cc scooter, who says we're too old. grin

bikergran Sun 08-May-11 21:16:45

Hi upsydaisy..lol..the only thing I can compare the feeling after being on a trampoline is ! having a few too many wine and being twilrled round a bout 50 times lol..oh wow another biker/scootergran! [smile] oh you beat me hands down 250cc shock lol im still struggling with L plates on a 125 bike,everything has changed now... one has to do Mod 1 then Mod 2 before I can tear L plates up..blaaaaa.. plus CBTS s costing me a fortune! but my challeng is too ride around the Great Orme in Llandudno..on a lovely sunny day, have been up in the car but would love! to ride up on the bike....I had a scooter 125cc prior to the bike (until a fellow motorist thought hmmmm lets see her off the road lol)hope your enjoying the good weather and getting about.. ta ta for now.and take care out there.[smile]

bikergran Sun 08-May-11 21:19:50

hmmm wondering how old scootergran upsydaisy is (but maybe I am being impolite) lol.....I am proud to be 55 lol... "old" is a dirty word lol.
but according to my 4 yrs old grandson I am old cos I have a kneck like grandads!!! hese 76 by the way) [smile]

upsydaisy Sun 08-May-11 21:57:35

Oh, bikergran, children say the kindest things don't they? smile I'm 49. I passed my bike test back in 1999, thankfully it was easier than it is now, I've read about all the stuff you have to do before they'll let you out on the road on your own even with L plates, tbh I don't think I could do it. Doing the U Turn was my stumbling block, especially on the stupid bike I had - it was a Suzuki Marauder (a kind of laid back cruiser type bike), I certainly wouldn't have fancied its chances getting up Great Orme. When I passed I had an ER5 restricted but rarely used it, mainly because the clutch used to really make my hand hurt. I've fancied a scooter for ages and got one off ebay in February. I love it but its made me realise just how much the roads have fallen into a state of disrepair since I last went on a motorbike. Good luck with your biking and hope you soon pass your test smile

Doris Sun 08-May-11 22:06:29

Hello - this is my first time on Gransnet and have just finished the day with lol. simply because I can't stay up much past 10 o' clock these days!!

GranMarie Sun 08-May-11 23:03:31

My first time on Granset too! This is the time when I get my 'second wind' and don't want to go to bed, I enjoy the peace when I get the living room to myself. I regret it next morning when 2 of the grandsons arrive at 7.45 for child-minding! I'm loving reading all you grans comments and getting to know your personalities, I think I'm going to enjoy your company and your wisdoms!

paddy62 Mon 09-May-11 09:53:41

Thanks for your comments everyone...made me laugh out loud! LOL (oh dear)!

Myfanwy Mon 09-May-11 12:47:27

I'm too old to be...so hard on myself.

I'm too old...for politicians.

I'm too old for B*ll S*it.

I'm too old to waste time fiddling with plastic wrapping designed not to open without a hand grenade.

I'm too old (probably) to have an affair with a footballer/celeb and sell my scandalous story.

I'm too old not to have TWO PURSES in my handbag (more to dither over in shops and lose in depths of handbag)

I'm too old not to exercise my pelvic floor religiously (get squeezing, ladies or else!)

supernana Mon 09-May-11 13:00:29

I think that a little book containing our witty wotsits should be published. Anyone want me to work on it? And yes, I'm too old to give a hoot about Katie Price and the likes...what a bore!

supernana Mon 09-May-11 13:17:57

I still don't understand what a mooncup is. I thought that it was a new type of bra. Tried a balcony-effect bra once and haven't been the same since. Anyone tried one of those so-called miracle girdles? I'm too old to struggle into mine...it takes so long to get it on...almost suffocates me when I'm in it...and the relief of getting out of it gives me serious palpitations...hmm

silkycat Mon 09-May-11 14:07:15

just had a look at the moon cup thank god i dont need to buy that lol

l am also too old for all the things Mollie is

Legs55 Mon 09-May-11 14:38:52

I'm too old to accept poor service

I complain about food if it's not up to standard

I complain to my local Council when necessary i.e. potholes & proposed housing developments which are detrimental to the area (lead to further overcrowding on roads, air polution, overstretch schools/health centre/sewage system etc)

I have become more vocal about complaining (angry old woman) either orally or in writing

I can say no to ideas I don't like

I can't do the things I used to do - too many creaking joints!

I'm sure this list could go on & on..... & on

jimswifein1964 Mon 09-May-11 14:42:32

glassortwo, pmsl at your wit grin

Def too old for shorts, bikinis, friday or saturday nights out when all the teenagers are prancing around short skirts.

Doris Mon 09-May-11 14:43:01

Supernana and struggling with 'girdles' reminded me of when I was 16 in the middle 60's and couldn't wait until we bought our first girdle - that meant we had ' grown up' and absolutely nothing to do with shoving it all in and creating a shape! How stupid was that?!

Myfanwy Mon 09-May-11 14:50:29

Re the Mooncup, I have the dubious honour of being one of the first to sell the infamous sponge tampon (Organic, Grit-free! Natural, Washable, Cheap). If you want to know how effective they were, soak a sponge in water then sit on it. Oh Dear. It was the year of the cruel white trouser, I seem to recall.

Mind you, they'd have been useful in one of my many campaigns-that-never -were, particularly the "Lets bleed unrestrainedly at work, on buses and throughout the home until they give us free sanitary wear" protest which failed to attract any takers. I still wonder why.

joycemw Mon 09-May-11 14:54:55

when my periods stopped i said thank god i hated them

mickey Mon 09-May-11 15:22:08

I am far too old and unfit to do more than 2 yoga exercises from a book which says it will make you younger-ha ha-they make me feel about 90.I am too old to think I will come out of the hairdressers looking better than when I went in-I usually look miles worse. I am too old to think make up will improve me.So what.

lili Mon 09-May-11 15:56:46

I don't think about what I can't do I am just thankful for what I can...I am enjoying just being and not being responsible for anyone else... I cannot believe how liberated I feel and sometimes I don't talk with anyone for days ... as for the moon cup what a brilliant idea they are however not menstruating is a massive bonus and being retired is another...