Gransnet forums

Chat

Things I am now too old to do (a list)

(95 Posts)
twinklepickers Fri 06-May-11 21:56:09

1. I can no longer touch my toes (but frankly they are awful and I wouldn't want to).
2. I can no longer pretend to like people (I've become quite blunt lately and as a consequence, less popular).
3. Wear high heels (such pretty shoes in my wardrobe but just not worth the day after).

What are you now to old to do.

Angelwispa Wed 11-May-11 12:07:40

Abime I think I'm right in saying that the 'moon' refers to the moon cycles and the feminine goddess, but maybe there is someone else that could enlighten us all smile

dorsetpennt Wed 11-May-11 21:00:06

I'm not too old to work, even it isn't the job I'd trained for just my 'retirement job'.
Not too old to admire a good looking man - but too old to act upon it.
Not too old to learn new skills and be better at it then some younger people I work with.
I'm not too old to visit museums, galleries, cathedrals etc., just as long as there is a decent loo and coffee shop near by.
Not too old for make up and nice clothes, I still enjoy fashion but wear what is appropriate for me. I'm not in beige yet!!
Not too old to go on hikes just as long as I don't have to climb very much
Not too old to travel just wish I had more money to travel more. I'm still very curious about the world
Like Mollie I can't be bothered with the so called 'celebs' or politicians or TV cooks and gardeners or reality stars
Way too old to have children but loving being a silly old granny that's a bit of fun.

GranMarie Wed 11-May-11 22:25:15

Annie,mascara has some feel good properties, I've worn it for 43 years and it's a good friend. Recommend boots no.7 waterproof, doesn't budge -cry,peel onions,be tired it will stay there and it just me now! (wink)

GranMarie Wed 11-May-11 22:27:35

Did I read that typing 'smiley' made it happen? too old for technology!

SeasonofJoy Thu 12-May-11 10:48:53

Hello, My husband is 11yrs older than me, so whatever age I am I always feel 'younger' , but;
I.m too old to read without glasses , especially small print on jars at supermarket.
I,m too old to wear a bikini
I,m too old to use a skipping rope
I,m too old to think I can trust everyone
I.m too old to stay up til early hours and be fresh as a daisy next day
I,m too old to have all three Grandchildren over night and not feel like a wet rag next day

NanaJosie Thu 12-May-11 10:56:40

I prefer to think about the things I CAN do now that I'm retired - that's if I wanted too.

I can play games on the computer till 4 in the morning, then sleep till noon

I can go out to lunch with the 'girls' and not come home till teatime

I can have chocolate biscuits and ice cream for dinner, if that's what I fancy

I can get away with saying/doing outrageous things, that I never would have dreamt of when I was younger

I can sit in the sun and read my book and not even think about doing the washing up till later

I can make beautiful lace and embroidery now that I have the time and infinitely more patience

I can wear a bikini and not care what anyone else thinks

Life is good

nanipipi Thu 12-May-11 11:14:23

Why focus on what you can't do? I can ditch friends because I like my garden best, Walk my dogs, cycle with my grandchildren, and even touch my toes. All fantastic for me as I was previously in a wheelchair for 16 years

Granmyth Thu 12-May-11 13:36:37

Thankyou, GrandmaAnge, best out-loud laugh for ages!!

auntieginzy Thu 12-May-11 15:27:24

Errr........ to old to?
Ummm.........
Think we should have a thread called 'Still young enough to" - will start one smile

irene1206 Fri 13-May-11 11:38:59

Hello-not too old to do this for the first time!

Too old to be told to go Team Building with 18 year olds!!!
Too old to care about 'Celebrities'. Who read those trashy mags?

SophiesMum Fri 13-May-11 17:50:47

Not old enough to be 'too old' for anything that I really want to do!

Definitely 'still young enough to live the life I want.

BurgundyGran Fri 13-May-11 20:29:41

I think it would be easier to say what I can do!

I no longer wear heels

comfort in all things is paramount so nothing tight, short of too uncomfortable

Drive, I wish I could as I love independence

Will no longer be taken in by false promises

Will fight for what I think is fair and won't take no for an answer

And Mollie I too must know where the nearest loo is

vert Fri 13-May-11 21:32:25

Yes to sleep through the night .....any answers to the 4.00am wee? It drives me mad!

milkflake Tue 17-May-11 17:04:55

Have to agree with Slinky about seeing the last of tampons, deep joy!

Bluegran, what is sex??????

These Mooncups are talked about by green people, but I am sure not many use the awful things , how on earth could you trust an upside down egg cup???

I cant drink much, shame as I used to be quite good at it!!

I cant walk very far but that suits me as I always hated walking smile

SoNanny Fri 20-May-11 11:34:15

Too old for all of the above but most of all......
I'm too old to care about ex husbands, 2 and that's 2 too many, especially the 2nd who unceremoniously dumped me in the middle of our 'dream' Californian holiday.
Still, good things come etc. I am now v. happlily back with my kids and grandkids. Enjoying life despite aches and pains etc but agree that celibacy is liberating. Sex is overated anyway.
Also have lost the ability to spell correctly....me who used to be the princess of school spelling bees!
Oh, where will it all end!

janthea Mon 23-May-11 11:50:32

I'm too old for very short skirts.
I'm too old for skinny jeans
I can't have a bath - only showers as my knees don't bend sufficiently to get in and out of the bath - although both knees are new!
I'm too old to have to drink wine when I prefer gin or whiskey
I'm too old to have to set through 'worthy' TV programmes. The same goes for reality programmes - ghastly!!
I'm old enough to indulge my dreadful taste (according to my daughters) in US TV programmes such as Glee, House, NCIS, Supernatural, Criminal Minds - the list goes on!

riclorian Mon 23-May-11 13:23:30

Let's not think of what we are too old for but think about all the good things age and retirement brings - spend time with grandchidren , and DH (I am still lucky enough to have one of those !),do housework , gardening , cooking or not depending on mood .Spend time with friends , and GO SHOPPING . So many things -

greeneyes57 Tue 09-Mar-21 21:35:56

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

Witzend Wed 10-Mar-21 07:48:38

Too old to do anything I don’t want to, because I ‘ought’ to want to, or I’ll look unsociable/unadventurous/a wimp.

Too old to give the most minute toss about what’s fashionable in anything from clothes to paint colours. In particular too old to give a toss that my kitchen is over 30 years old, as long as it still functions as a kitchen.

On the negative side, too old to get on the floor to play with grandchildren, esp. on dd’s hard floors - my knees no longer enjoy it.

Definitely too old for a bikini! In fact I could rather fancy one of those burkini things.
I hope I’ll never be too old to enjoy a swim, though, especially in a lovely warm sea.