Gransnet forums

Chat

science and natural history

(66 Posts)
Joyce44 Fri 13-May-11 11:12:42

Hello,
Is there anyone out there interested in the sciences or am I alone?

helshea Mon 11-Jul-11 05:14:12

The duck and echo thing? Well to be honest I don't know it is just something I must have been told when I was younger, and believed. It may or may not be true. The more I think about it now, the odder it seems.

JessM Mon 11-Jul-11 21:35:03

I am scratching my head over this one. Maybe it is one of those things people say to kids. When i was little i used to say to my Gran "come and play" and she used to say "I've got a bone in my leg"

Baggy Mon 11-Jul-11 21:39:00

Any sound can have an echo in the right circumstances — something for the sound waves to bounce off. Simple.

JessM Tue 12-Jul-11 07:22:36

well quite.
Here is an interesting science story that could affect people like us. Scanning breasts using warm water. Could be an improvement on those painful mammograms.

www.sciencedaily.com/videos/2008/0810-sound_detects_breast_cancer.htm

Baggy Tue 12-Jul-11 07:56:16

Awesome images of volcanic ash plumes from the Chile volcano Puyehue:

earthobservatory.nasa.gov/NaturalHazards/view.php?id=51316

Elegran Tue 12-Jul-11 08:55:59

Echo-less duck quack debunked - http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/sci/tech/3086890.stm

Elegran Tue 12-Jul-11 08:56:53

Sorry, link not converted.
Echo-less duck quack debunked - news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/sci/tech/3086890.stm

helshea Tue 12-Jul-11 19:57:04

Thanks Elegran at least I now that I did not imagine it. It may or may not be true, but it was something that I heard, and not something I'd dreamt! I was beginning to question my memory.

JessM Thu 14-Jul-11 06:58:20

Animals being used in experiments in the news this morning.http://www.guardian.co.uk/science/2011/jul/13/animal-experiments-rise
Numbers gone up 1%. Not, maybe the most catchy headline.
What do we think then folks? For or against?

Baggy Thu 14-Jul-11 08:34:48

I've just read the article. I'm not opposed in principle to animals, including humans, being used in scientific experiments (I've taken part in some myself, as a subject) but I am opposed to cruel practices. I don't think household products of any kind, including human cosmetics, should be tested on animals. On the other hand, some experiments, such as ones DH was involved in with spiders (you'll all have heard of Oxford's dreaming spiders wink), are purely observational — scientists gathering information by observing animal behaviour. DH also based his Ph.D thesis on observations of animal behaviour, mainly birds in the wild though he did 'use' a pet falcon (bred in captivity, which he bought legally) for some aspects of the research. One of the falcon's 'uses' was to be flown over the airfield at RAF Benson to clear the runway of birds that would damage aircraft by being sucked into engines. They would also, of course, be 'damaged' in the process so this, I feel, was a perfectly acceptable use of an animal, on a par with people keeping pets for their own comfort and/or use as many of us do.

Annobel Thu 14-Jul-11 09:08:10

I think I agree with you, baggy. I know that I and some of my nearest and dearest must owe our health, if not our lives to medicines developed in the course of animal experiments, so it would be hypocritical of me to object to this. However, on inessentials such as cosmetics, it's a whole other story. Interesting to hear about the falcon on RAF Benson. I wonder how the RAF is getting on with the red kites, now endemic in that part of Oxfordshire. Perhaps they are picking off the pigeons.
OMG I'm running late. See you later.

Elegran Thu 14-Jul-11 10:53:45

With you there, Baggy and Annobel. If the welfare of the animals is paramount, and there is a genuine need for the knowledge gained, then there is much to be gained from experiment. If it is possible to conduct the same research on tissue in a petri dish, it should be done so. That must be cheaper to use anyway.

One key thing is to have lines drawn on what is acceptable and what is not, and inspect all those licensed to use animals frequently, randomly and unannounced.

Another is for the public to know exactly what is involved in the administration of individual research, so that they know what is what - good and bad.

Edinburgh Zoo's brilliant new Budongo chimpanzee house and its Living Links exhibit double as behavioural research facilities for wildlife students and experts, with observation chambers and interaction points. When it was reported in the press that there would be "experiments" some people immediately imagined chimps strapped into torture chambers and forced to have terrifying experiences. Nothing could be further from the truth.

Elegran Thu 14-Jul-11 10:54:45

I too have taken part in a couple of drug trials - in my case a short one to see which of three oestrogen blockers patients found most acceptable to take after a lumpectomy and a 5-year one called Post-operative Radiotherapy In Minimal-risk Elderly (PRIME for short) where you were randomly assigned to get/not get radiotherapy after same lumpectomy. I drew not-get and after 5 years was still hale and heart (Now almost finished year 6 and going strong).

The word I disliked most about the title of this one was "Elderly"

JessM Sat 16-Jul-11 20:41:40

Well done you for volunteering. Not designed to encourage participation, the e word. Doctors used to refer to women having first babies in their thirties and forties as "elderly primiparae" . A hit every time. Not sure if they still do. What is wrong with the word "mature"?
I always think that the animal rights brigade should offer themselves as subjects for experiments. Perhaps they do.
Also i think a lot of the times when horses, dogs and cats used is for veterinary medicines - go figure - so how does that play on the barricades?
Interesting that fish numbers have shot up. I went to a study day on blood cancer research and they were saying that zebra fish were proving extremely useful in the kind of genetic research that they need to do to find better treatments for these conditions. They were also doing clever things with genes - cross checking existing drugs against leukaemia genes. If you can find an existing drug that turns off a leukaemia gene, you can potentially have a new treatment really quickly. They were getting excited about an antiworming drug.
I am against medical research on chimpanzees though. I think they are, in a sense, people.

carboncareful Thu 28-Jul-11 16:53:20

Absolutely JessM.

Baggy, just noticed your comment on 14th July - another area we agree: that human beings are animals! Lots of human primates seem to forget this; or appear not to have realised this in the first place. Most other animals, however, seem to have no problem identifying humans as animals......