Gransnet forums

Chat

Economising

(58 Posts)
apricot Sun 10-Jul-11 20:32:04

I've recently retired on a very small income and the ever-increasing cost of gas worries me. I've made the decision to only bath on alternate days and have turned the hot water down to minimum on my boiler. I know all the recommended ways of economising and they're not enough. What have others changed to save money?

alam2 Fri 15-Jul-11 10:49:46

Hi Jangly
Are they easy to put on? Thinking of getting some for my mother in law - she's 87 - for when she takes her dog out during the winter as her drive gets very, very icy. But no good if they are too difficult for her to use.
Thanks

JessM Fri 15-Jul-11 13:20:46

Oh gawd Helshea. Trouble is you don't get a lot of heat from an open coal fire do you? A lot goes straight up the chimney. Much less efficient than a wood burning stove. And calor gas also expensive and kicks out lots of water vapour. Must be a worry for you.

jangly Fri 15-Jul-11 13:54:46

Oh yes. An open fire is definitely not an economical option for serious heating. Lovely to sit in front of though for a bit of toasting (bread and me). We having been considering a wood burner but the smallest I can find would be 3 kw and to be honest I think that would too much in our living room. Luckily we've got a good source of well seasoned logs at a good price. Don't bother much with coal.

jangly Fri 15-Jul-11 13:58:05

You don't get as much warmth from logs though. Is really just a top up and decorative.

jangly Fri 15-Jul-11 14:00:50

alam - I only bought mine in the Spring tbh. I was in the shop to get something else and they had them in the sale. So, I haven't tried them out yet. From what Elegran says though, it sounds like they are easy to get on and off. (I hope so)

Elegran Fri 15-Jul-11 14:36:28

alam2 - Yaktrax have elastic which goes round the welt of the shoe and over the heel and toe, with the springs crossing the sole underneath. You put on your shoes, then fit the toe of each shoe into the elastic and pull the heel bit up over the shoe heel. You do need to sit down for this, unless you can hang onto something and work with one hand, and you need to be able to reach your heel - you'll know whether your 87-yr old MIL can do this. I put them onto a pair of ankle boots and left them on there even when I took the boots off - saved putting them on each time.

If she is using them only near the house, she can sit down in her own kitchen to take them off, supermarkets are a bit trickier. They say not to wear them on hard shiny surfaces as you can skid about, but I found that supermarket floors were no problem if I walked steadily and did not do a sudden turn, so I did not always take them off inside.

It is worth tying them onto the boots somehow with bootlaces if you can, then if one comes off in deep snow (as DHs did) it will still be dangling from the boot.

I believe the Yaktrax spring ones are better than the ones with little studs, but I have only tried Yaktrax so can't swear to that.

They are only about £10, so it won't break the bank if they prove unsuitable.

apricot Sat 16-Jul-11 16:29:48

We all have different houses and different priorities. I'd rather spend money on birthday and Christmas presents than on gas. My house is old and listed so no wall insulation or double-glazing. I have no heat on upstairs, ever, and keep windows open except in cold weather. There's no condensation or mould in draughty old houses. I'm not cold, just trying to reduce my bills.