Gransnet forums

Chat

Loo reading matter?

(60 Posts)
Annobel Mon 24-Oct-11 09:56:15

When I was a kid, I was always in trouble for taking my book into the loo (luckily we had two) and staying there for ages. It was the only place I could get peace and quiet. In my sister's house there's a bookcase beside the pedestal. I find newspapers a bit unwieldy, but have been known to finish the crossword 'on the throne'. Nowadays I don't need to look for peace and quiet - have them in abundance. Are you prepared to lay bare your reading habits?
www.guardian.co.uk/books/booksblog/2011/oct/21/reading-on-the-loo-study

Lizzieanne Thu 27-Oct-11 14:22:16

My Grandma always read The People's Friend in the loo. She spent hours there, laughig or crying at the various stories -- if we couldn't find her, or The Pepole's Friend we knew where she was!

snailspeak Thu 27-Oct-11 15:01:48

Can't understand that reading on the loo is all that pleasant but there again did you know that there are more germs on your computer keyboard that on the average loo seat. By the time that you have read in the loo you will have even more germs to transfer.
Used to read in the bath before I had my daughter. Don't know how I enjoyed it so much. I must have emerged as a wrinkly prune even at that age. Our bathroom has two atmospheric downlighters just above the bath and the rest of the bathroom can be in shadow. Often fancied a soak with scented candles but never have the time. Got loads of Occitane candles received as presents. Should really give them a try

gkal Fri 28-Oct-11 19:37:33

I have been known to dash into the loo with a particularly interesting letter or article that I don't want to stop reading, but generally do not spend enough time in there to warrant a supply of reading matter. The hygiene factor does come into it for me. I detest cleaning and books would just gather dust and germs (I was a nurse!). I have always had an aversion to library books, thinking of them being handled by all those sticky fingers. I wouldn't like to think they had been sitting in someone's loo for a couple of weeks. Reading back over this, I seem a bit obsessed with hygiene - but actually I'm just lazy wink

jinglej Sat 29-Oct-11 11:53:40

I might take the odd catalogue that has just plopped through the letterbox in with me. But I always pull the chain while still sitting if I don't plan on rising immediately.

Like to keep things "naice". grin

jinglej Sat 29-Oct-11 11:54:07

I can't believe I posted that! blush

jinglej Sat 29-Oct-11 11:55:25

gkal, I'm the same about library books. e-library books could be the way forward. smile

jinglej Sat 29-Oct-11 11:56:24

We won't have to touch anything soon. Won't that be good.

'Scuse me, my ocd is showing. blush

crimson Sat 29-Oct-11 12:56:43

Not sure if paper holds germs; I know wood doesn't [wooden toilet seats are more hygienic than plastic ones. Everyone used to have brass door knockers because brass doesn't hold germs. Got a bit obsessed with hygiene the first year we had swine flu around. I hate it when people sneeze into their hands; if you don't have a tissue you should sneeze into your sleeve.

greenmossgiel Sat 29-Oct-11 13:00:37

I read in the loo and in the bath. I also use the library very frequently and buy second-hand books. However, I am very particular about hand-washing, having received and given training on 'infection control' in my line of work.....the things we touch on a day-to-day basis....oooh! It's a mucky old world, but if we keep a good standard of personal hygiene, then we shouldn't pass on infection to others. smile

jinglej Sat 29-Oct-11 13:04:25

I buy second hand books! Why is that not so bad as library books. Suppose they have only been read by one person.

greenmossgiel Sat 29-Oct-11 13:11:52

jinglej - a second-hand book could've been read by one person with very mucky habits grin!

Gally Sat 29-Oct-11 13:18:06

Hello Greenmoss you back? How was your holiday?
Not sure about the health issues on reading in the loo.
Our GP Surgery don't allow magazines or books any more, which is a bit of a bore if you have to wait for ages, but they don't seem to mind if you read the pamphlets or information in ring-binders so not sure where they're coming from. They have hand cleanser if you use the self check in so I use it before and after as not many people seem to get the hang of following instructionsconfused.
I don't read in either the loo or the bath - the loo because I just want to get it over and done with (!) and the bath because I can only stay in for 5 minutes without getting hot and bothered or going all squidgy and anyway, the book would get soaked.

absentgrana Sat 29-Oct-11 13:24:29

I am attempting to perfect a technique for reading in the shower. grin

olliesgran Sat 29-Oct-11 13:28:44

umbrella????wink

jinglej Sat 29-Oct-11 13:34:39

Thanks Greenmoss. Thanks a lot!!!! grin

jinglej Sat 29-Oct-11 13:35:18

Mind you, I have survived.

Goes to show something, doesn't it. hmm

Elegran Sat 29-Oct-11 13:35:38

Bluetack the book to the outside of the shower and turn pages with one of those sock-putter-onners ? (which don't work for socks so could be usefully employed elsewhere)

jinglej Sat 29-Oct-11 13:36:58

I wondered where you'd been Greenmoss. Didn't realise you have been on hol.

Have a nice time?

Elegran Sat 29-Oct-11 13:37:05

blimey you were quick jingly posted before I had my reply written.

Elegran Sat 29-Oct-11 13:37:25

And then did it again

greenmossgiel Sat 29-Oct-11 13:48:05

Gally - thanks, I had a lovely holiday! I ate too much, though! Didn't walk about enough and as a result have put on nearly half a stone!!! It will go though....I'm sure...?!! Our GP's surgery stopped having magazines and toys for the children for a few months after the swine flu outbreak, but are back to having them again now. Does anyone think that perhaps we could all 'disappear up our own backsides' (not a good place to be!) with the constant 'need' for hygiene? It's also created a very lucrative industry for cleaning/hygiene products etc - similar to that of the slimming 'industry'. We can be so easily led into believing all that we're told when it comes to this sort of thing. Perhaps it's all to do with the 'nanny state' that seems to have drifted into our way of life? hmm

Annobel Sat 29-Oct-11 13:55:48

I agree with you, Greenmoss. I think Aggie McKenzie and her ilk have a lot to answer for. A TV doctor on BBC 24 this morning was pointing out that bacteria don't live long on surfaces like handrails and ATMs and that children brought up on farms have a lower incidence of allergies than children brought up in more antiseptic environments. There is evidence that exposure to bacteria can be beneficial. But we should still wash our hands after visiting the loo and before eating. All that guff about cleaning products that 'kill 99% of all known germs'! What if most of that 99% are beneficial bacteria?

Annobel Sat 29-Oct-11 14:05:47

PS. Welcome back, Greenmoss. Glad you've enjoyed your holiday.

jinglej Sat 29-Oct-11 14:06:16

And if it's the 1% that gets you in the end.

harrigran Sat 29-Oct-11 14:33:08

Books and paper do hold germs crimson in the days when we had scarlet fever etc all books and comics had to be burnt. I remember being upset when the fumigators came in when I was allowed out of the bedroom, nothing came out of my bedroom, there was an open fireplace in there.