Gransnet forums

Chat

Forum etiquette.

(331 Posts)
Greatnan Sat 21-Apr-12 08:14:10

I think forum etiquette is no more than normal good manners. I would not correct someone's grammar if I were speaking to them in person, and I don't correct any member's grammar, spelling or punctuation on forums.
Not easy for a pedantic former English teacher!

I can ignore personal insults (I think they say more about the poster than about me) but I think they are usually considered to be in breach of forum etiquette.

petallus Sat 21-Apr-12 10:41:29

Greatnan the answer is yes in my opinion. Anyway, I didn't mean you. You cheer me up as well smile

What doesn't is a whole thread on the desirability of children standing every time an adult enters the room.

But it takes all sorts.

You are welcome imjingl

bagitha Sat 21-Apr-12 10:50:59

If a thread doesn't interest you, don't go there. Some of us like to do serious and funny.

imjingl Sat 21-Apr-12 11:05:31

See petallus. It's not easy to stick your head........!!! grin

imjingl Sat 21-Apr-12 11:06:25

You have to learn to duck really quickly. smile

petallus Sat 21-Apr-12 11:08:24

Bagitha you have to read a thread before you know what's in it. I might persevere with the 'children standing' one right through to the end hoping to see challenges to the majority opinion.

Or I might just decide to read it and feel amazed/depressed afterwards and then make comments to that effect.

My choice I think and isn't that what makes for a lively and healthy debate rather than 'keep away if you don't agree with us'?

petallus Sat 21-Apr-12 11:14:52

It's alright imjingl I've got my special forcefield space helmet on this morning - repels bullets grin

imjingl Sat 21-Apr-12 11:23:39

grin

bagitha Sat 21-Apr-12 11:26:44

I don't have a problem with that approach, petallus. It's what I do. I didn't mean you should keep away if you don't agree with what's being said. Quite the reverse, as I think many of my posts show. Sorry if that wasn't clear. What I meant was if the opening post doesn't interest you, you don't have to continue reading the rest of the thread. That's all. Bit surprised you could think otherwise, really!

So what is your view about children standing up when adults enter the room? Should they, do you think? Or is Cameron being a twit again? See you over there if you want to take part in the discussion. [slightly baffled emoticon]

Grannylin Sat 21-Apr-12 11:30:05

I have to say I was slightly disappointed to see some of the lengthy discussions yesterday about bland subjects when only two of us commented when a Gransnetter disclosed an incidence of domestic violence sad

nuttynana Sat 21-Apr-12 11:38:15

Love listening to all your witty banter but also love it that this is , on the whole , a friendly site! We don't need any more hassle in our lives!

bagitha Sat 21-Apr-12 11:38:46

I didn't see that. Which thread, grannylin?

Ariadne Sat 21-Apr-12 11:41:50

Thank you, Greatnan

Carol Sat 21-Apr-12 11:41:59

I hadn't seen it, either. I miss lots when I'm out for an afternoon, so this one passed me by - it's the Relationships/Betrayal thread bags.

Anagram Sat 21-Apr-12 11:43:24

I think sometimes the problem is that people don't read back through the thread, they just jump in to respond to the last post. Thus some posts seem to be ignored or dismissed.

JessM Sat 21-Apr-12 11:51:19

I agree that picking up people about grammar or spelling is inappropriate in this medium.
I have said it a couple of times before, but I will say it again, the principle "go for the ball but not the man" is a good one on a forum - disagree with opinions but do not attack the person expressing them.
Sometimes new posts get missed due to time of day I think - if they drop off "last hour" for instance.

Carol Sat 21-Apr-12 11:54:16

Precisely Jess smile

imjingl Sat 21-Apr-12 12:00:19

I don't always feel up to playing the agony aunt giving relationship advice.

No-one says you have to.

jeni Sat 21-Apr-12 12:05:47

I hope I'm not bland?

imjingl Sat 21-Apr-12 12:10:27

jeni - you fishing for compliments? grin

petallus Sat 21-Apr-12 12:11:13

I was me who used the word bland. Of course, I wasn't referring to any individual. Rather I meant that a group of any kind where there is only agreement would end up being bland, so we need our dissenters.

petallus Sat 21-Apr-12 12:12:23

imjingl can't help grinning at the number of grins you put after your posts. Is there a reason for that grin

imjingl Sat 21-Apr-12 12:13:21

I get told off if I don't put a grin! I think I'm supposed to put a wink as well!

jeni Sat 21-Apr-12 12:16:34

jing. Yes please! My sense of unworthy is high today for some unknown reason. Probably the weather!
Give me sunshine etc: sunshine

Carol Sat 21-Apr-12 12:17:06

Ha Ha! Jingle. Since when did you put anything on here because you are supposed to? Don't ever change! grin (because I'm supposed to!)

Anagram Sat 21-Apr-12 12:18:07

grin