Gransnet forums

Chat

Forum etiquette.

(330 Posts)
Greatnan Sat 21-Apr-12 08:14:10

I think forum etiquette is no more than normal good manners. I would not correct someone's grammar if I were speaking to them in person, and I don't correct any member's grammar, spelling or punctuation on forums.
Not easy for a pedantic former English teacher!

I can ignore personal insults (I think they say more about the poster than about me) but I think they are usually considered to be in breach of forum etiquette.

nelliedeane Sat 21-Apr-12 09:18:10

Are you ok greatnan ?

Greatnan Sat 21-Apr-12 09:22:12

Yes, Nellie, I am fine - just about to get well wrapped-up and go off on a long hike into the higher mountains, which are still snow-clad. It has snowed on and off here for days but it is bright now.
I am not bothered by anything anyone posts about me, whether it is nasty or not - the best thing to do with such posts is ignore them!

Learnergran Sat 21-Apr-12 09:30:59

Have a good invigorating walk, Greatnan, and take care of yourself.

greenmossgiel Sat 21-Apr-12 09:40:18

Greatnan, I've found that people who make unkind remarks about others, usually have a rather low opinion of themselves. As you say, best to ignore this type of thing. It's really not important. There you are - striding off into the mountains, and I'm sitting here 'swithering' about whether to walk up to the local car boot sale because the weather's not very promising...! (Get a life, greenmossgiel)!! smile

Greatnan Sat 21-Apr-12 09:42:26

Thanks, Learner. I have had a long chat on the phone with my Kiwi daughter which always keeps me cheerful - it is so nice to hear how happy they all are. GD moved into her own flat in Nelson today with her fiance and has said there is a spare room for me to visit when I am next in NZ
Her mum says it is strange to be down to two children at home but the other four will no doubt keep popping back from time to time, as they do!

Greatnan Sat 21-Apr-12 09:43:43

Green - nobody could accuse you of not having a life!

nelliedeane Sat 21-Apr-12 09:44:24

enjoy your walk Greatnan glad all well smile

greenmossgiel Sat 21-Apr-12 09:50:03

Thank you Greatnan - it's a good one, too! smile

Carol Sat 21-Apr-12 09:50:35

I agree about not correcting other people's grammatical errors or spelling mistakes - it's tempting, but rude. If we know what the person is on about, it doesn't matter how it's phrased or spelt. If it's an official report that must be accurate, that's different, but this is a chat forum. We have Pedants' Corner for when we want an outlet for our urges to correct what we want to.

Some postings do make me wonder about the poster - are they being deliberately rude and offensive, or do they not realise what they have written?

Those postings that are written mischievously, but not with malice, and are mitigated with a smile or grin, are fine with me (especially when there is a cheeky look what I have got away with to show they (*Jingle*) are aware they are having a bit of fun). By the way Jingle one of your alter-egos is an imposter - time to own up!

And applause for Greatnan who knows exactly how to diffuse any feelings of being got at! flowers

imjingl Sat 21-Apr-12 09:58:45

I've never said anything nasty about you Greatnan. I just admitted that yu didn't really like me much (no-one could blame you for that) grin

Shut up Carol

imjingl Sat 21-Apr-12 09:59:04

That was a joke! Do not report!!!! shock

nanachrissy Sat 21-Apr-12 09:59:31

Sometimes it is the same with text messages, they can seem very rude or hurtful depending on how you read them.
I always try and read through before sending/posting as we were taught at school!

Enjoy your walk Greatnan it is very therapeutic! sunshine

Oldgreymare Sat 21-Apr-12 10:03:34

Greatnan.... Oh Crikey! The suggestion for the Gransnet Calander (?) is me trying (?) to be funny and posted before I saw the above. Hope you have a giggle xxx

Oldgreymare Sat 21-Apr-12 10:05:50

Spelling went to pot in rush to explain! Calendar!

Greatnan Sat 21-Apr-12 10:09:50

I haven't seen that post yet, but I am sure I will not take offence at anything you say, OGM. (I always want to type OMG !)

granjura Sat 21-Apr-12 10:14:04

Have a lovely walk, and I totally agree with your OP.

The first time I saw OMG on t'internet - it made me jump as it was my maiden (horrible word!) initials. It took me days to realise that it is short for.

greenmossgiel Sat 21-Apr-12 10:15:13

Oldgreymare - I hadn't seen your post about the GN Calender! Is it to be like Calender Girls? 'Calender Grans'? I think we'd do very well with that, don't you? I don't think I'd need bigger buns in the photo shoot though....perhaps a couple of croutons would suffice for me! grin

petallus Sat 21-Apr-12 10:17:44

imjingle doesn't mind sticking her head above the parapet. I find her input hugely refreshing. It saves Gransnet from getting too bland, caring and humourless.

Oldgreymare Sat 21-Apr-12 10:20:02

Green... it's on the Gransnet anniversary thingy. I would manage with croutons too, hence I would have my back to camera!!!!
Can you add any more suggestions? grin

petallus Sat 21-Apr-12 10:20:49

I meant getting too worthy.

imjingl Sat 21-Apr-12 10:21:14

Thank you petallus. flowers for that! grin

Greatnan Sat 21-Apr-12 10:28:46

Can you be too caring and worthy?

Greatnan Sat 21-Apr-12 10:33:18

Petallus - I don't think I have ever been accused of being bland - and have you seen my contributions to 'This made me laugh'?smile

For the calendar - it should have happened before I lost two stone and dropped from a firm 38C (couldn't hold a pencil under my breast) to a saggy 36B (could hold a typewriter).

greenmossgiel Sat 21-Apr-12 10:33:39

I don't think so, Greatnan.