Gransnet forums

Chat

Elegran

(88 Posts)
glassortwo Sat 21-Apr-12 20:36:20

If anyone would like to show their respect for Elegran it is planned at the funeral to have a collection plate for St Columba's Hospice Edinburgh who have been very supportive during her husbands illness.

The Hospice are at the moment are carrying out urgent rebuilding to upgrade and modernise the Hospice.

This is the link if anyone would like to donate online
www.stcolumbashospicefundraising.org.uk/get-involved/donate-form-43.aspx

This is the postal address.
St Columba's Hospice, Challenger Lodge, 15 Boswall Road, Edinburgh EH5 3RW
Telephone: 0131 551 1381 Fax: 0131 551 2771

If anyone would prefer to make or compose something for Elegran to go into a file as we did for Gally please post and let me know.

Elegran Sat 28-Apr-12 08:37:25

I slept until 6.30. I'd taken a sleeping pill to make sure (but don't intend to keep doing that regularly) It still took a while to get off, but not too long. A shower cleared my head and made me feel more competent.

The house seems very quiet, and somehow colder. The sky is bright and clear and chilly looking.

Breakfast next on the cards, then to begin on the sort-out. My clothes first, then N's. That will be hard, which is why I am starting with mine.

nanachrissy Sat 28-Apr-12 08:41:23

Good morning Elegran I hope you slept well. Our funeral was yesterday, so it is now onwards and upwards.

I'm sure you were comforted by all the well wishers at the funeral, I think it can be a very positive experience in a strange way.

Don't feel alone, we are all here as usual, to cheer and comfort whenever we can sunshine
Love and hugs xx

Bags Sat 28-Apr-12 08:48:41

Doing is always good, elegran. Good luck with the clear outs. Will be thinking of you. It might even spur me to do a bit too! x

whenim64 Sat 28-Apr-12 09:00:56

Have a good day Elegran. Like nanachrissy says onwards and upwards. We're all hanging about if you need a hug smile

glassortwo Sat 28-Apr-12 09:56:53

Have a good day elegran sunshine

harrigran Sat 28-Apr-12 10:52:47

Good morning Elegran sunshine

grrrranny Sat 28-Apr-12 12:59:46

elegran I have just been catching up after about 10 days and want to add my love to you and thoughts for the new start you have to make.

soop Sat 28-Apr-12 13:09:18

Elegran Wouldn't it be marvellous if we Gransnetters could climb into a tardis and find ourselves on your doorstep? If you care - or dare - to invite us in, we would do our utmost to cheer you. Or, if you rather we sat quietly beside you, with brew cupcake and smile we would be happy to offer you companionship and (hugs). We are here for you. Be kind to yourself. You are in my thoughts smile x

Elegran Sat 28-Apr-12 17:27:14

Come in, the door is open. So nice to see you all. I'm afraid the cakes and biscuits are all finished (the grandchildren saw to that) but there is a little left of the excellent fruitcake a neighbour brought in to me warm from the oven. Such a lovely thought. DS broke into it before it was cool and since then we have been working our way rapidly through it.

There is also a batch of bread getting its last rise so that will be ready soon, who would like a slice with lashings of butter? Hang the diet.

This has been a very long day. By lunchtime I felt as though I had been up for 12 hours and was feeling a bit abandoned. Then in the afternoon my brother came in with his beautiful spotty dog and we drank hot chocolate and ate more fruit cake so now I am happier. Chocolate has great healing power.

soop Sat 28-Apr-12 17:34:59

Elegran Good company, a spotty dog AND hot chocolate. That's what I call a real treat. grin If we GN's do come calling, we would come bearing gifts for your cupboard. And - we'd do the waiting on you and the washing up. Where's that tardis when you need it?

whenim64 Sat 28-Apr-12 17:36:55

Some fruit cake, a hot chocolate, and then slide down in the armchair for a few zzzzz's. Sounds like my ideal kind of afternoon Elegran. smile

Elegran Sat 28-Apr-12 17:42:00

Spotty dog did not get any chocolate, it is poisonous to dogs, or any fruit cake. She did get a bowl of water and a water biscuit broken into small pieces and administered slowly. She was very loving to me, but looked around wondering where her favourite uncle was. He usually feeds her the biscuit and pets her.

Elegran Sat 28-Apr-12 17:43:24

Spotty dog's real name is Cara.

nanachrissy Sat 28-Apr-12 17:44:21

Elegran sunshine

soop Sat 28-Apr-12 17:46:57

Elegran Animals can be very sensitive. Some, moreso than people.

Our feral cat has been basking in the sunshine. Paying not the slightest attention to a robin and blackbird who have been cheekily picking away at his plate of biscuits no more than a paw's length away grin

glammanana Sat 28-Apr-12 17:57:17

Elegran Take things slowly and take care of yourself how lovely to have a nice doggy pal come to visit with your brother they are the best visitors you can have I think,Barney the JR has been to the beach with me this pm and he has been chasing seagulls but when one stood its ground and refused to fly off Barney came scampering back with his little tail between his legs,such a coward of a little man he is.flowers for you.

whenim64 Sat 28-Apr-12 18:55:24

My basset hound, Nell, really tunes in to how I'm feeling and seems to know when to come and sit by me. I can sometimes look up and see her weighing me up, as though she's looking deep into my mind - or it might just be a form of hypnotism to get me to give her a treat!! Nevertheless, dogs really do know how to bring comfort just when we need it. Hope today has been a companiable one Elegran smile

jeni Sat 28-Apr-12 22:33:23

I'm exhausted. My dgd is visiting! I've spent about 4hours cooking the curry. Which they have allloved and eaten !
I'm too tired to eat and my ankle is so painful, can hardly weight bear enough
Toe to bed!
It was still worth it to see them!smile
Goodnight allsmile

glassortwo Sat 28-Apr-12 22:39:28

jeni I only seem to see you to say goodnight smile are you just taking your toe to bed grin

glassortwo Sat 28-Apr-12 22:48:52

elegran catch you tomorrow sunshine

Ariadne Sat 28-Apr-12 23:06:07

Good night, my lovely ladies. elegran a peaceful night to you. Xx

glassortwo Sat 28-Apr-12 23:09:22

Goodnight ariadne sleep well.

Elegran Sun 29-Apr-12 08:08:27

Yes, Ariadne it was a peaceful night. I am taking sleeping pills for a few nights to retune my sleeping patterns, which have become geared to early rising and waking at the drop of a feather. I don't want to go on too long with them though.

Spotty dog Cara is a great silent comfort. She is a Dalmatian with an impressive pedigree (I think grandfather did well at Crufts) but she seems happy to hobnob with us mere mortals. When she passes our gate on her way back from a walk in the woods, she often turns in at the gate and waits at the front door. Hearing footsteps in the hall, she instantly sets off round the side of the house to the back door, knowing that muddy paws will not be welcome.

yogagran Sun 29-Apr-12 11:49:56

There'll be lots of muddy paws with this amount of rain we're getting at the moment. Smelly dog towels - ugh [screwed up nose emoticom]. Our dog seems to love the rain and keeps asking to go out for more!

whenim64 Sun 29-Apr-12 12:02:36

My dog took one look at the pouring rain, had a wee and turned round! She's asleep in her basket now and rouses every now and again to check whether I'm standing over her with her lead. What a wuss!