Gransnet forums

Chat

Tattoo at 70?

(60 Posts)
bakergran Mon 23-Jul-12 09:28:36

www.telegraph.co.uk/news/newstopics/howaboutthat/9417106/David-Steels-wife-Lady-Steel-reveals-why-pink-jaguar-tattoo-was-the-perfect-70th-birthday-present.html

A pink jaguar tattoo for your 70th birthday present to yourself - would you do it?

The only reason I never got a tattoo is because I was scared of the pain - and I haven't got any braver as I've got older! There's no way I would get a pink jaguar though. Pretty nasty if you ask me.

petallus Mon 23-Jul-12 09:33:48

Wiser to get a tattoo in old age as there is less time to have to put up with it if you go off it.

I shall be 70 next year and this has set me thinking. Would be difficult to find a design that wasn't tacky though.

How about 'I did it my way' (except for me that would be a lie)! smile

JO4 Mon 23-Jul-12 09:36:10

Good for her I say. If that's what she wants, why not?

Barrow Mon 23-Jul-12 09:40:01

I don't like tattoos and would never have one - but I don't judge those who choose to decorate their bodies with them. Each to their own!

Ella46 Mon 23-Jul-12 09:41:49

I got a small tattoo when I was 55,which no one can see unless I choose to show it.

I like a small act of rebellion now and again! wink

susiecb Mon 23-Jul-12 09:45:17

Not for me and in any case as we get older our skin getting droopier so it will soon go out of shape.hmm

Anagram Mon 23-Jul-12 09:55:48

I agree that you'd have less time to go off it/regret it! At 70 you wouldn't be worried about what anyone thought - so good for her!

bakergran Mon 23-Jul-12 10:05:11

Good point about less time to get sick of it, petallus!

I'm never sure about words as a tattoo, I think I'd prefer an image. Also DEFINITELY no colours.

absentgrana Mon 23-Jul-12 10:11:04

I don't think I shall be getting any tattoos, but if someone wants one or more – whatever their age – why not? If it was good enough for the King, it's good enough for the rest of the country. grin

nightowl Mon 23-Jul-12 10:42:04

I don't like tattoos for myself, but I have a good friend who is in her late 60s and has had several tattoos after escaping from an unhappy marriage in her 50s. They are part of who she is and also sum up her new attitude to life - she has more energy then many 20 year olds and still works full time, is a Union steward, looks after grandchildren, and is generally an inspiration!

If anyone wants a tattoo I say go for it, age shouldn't be an issue.

harrigran Mon 23-Jul-12 11:30:29

I heard an Aussie describe a tattoo as " a tramp stamp " grin

Ella46 Mon 23-Jul-12 11:37:11

I think good for her!
If it makes her husband look at her a little differently for a change then it's a good thing! wink

Nonu Mon 23-Jul-12 12:09:58

I didn"t know the King had a tattoo ! I wouldn"t have one as I would be scared it would hurt , also wouldn"t know what to pick , so much choice . Hats off to people who do though

AnneMaria Mon 23-Jul-12 12:12:28

Why not.

gracesmum Mon 23-Jul-12 12:21:38

OK - name dropping alert!
I went riding with Judy Steel (who my sister remembers from a pants emergency at the bus stop out side the nursery school they both went to ) about a hundred years ago and she has preserved pretty well from the (dare I say it) slightly dumpy curvy girl with geek glasses- she looks great. But what really caught my eye though was that she had it done at the tattoo shop in Selkirk 2 years ago and that used to be my Granny's paper shop and the front office of my greatgrandfather's, then my grandfather's, then my father's printing and publishing business. I earned my first pocket money barely able to peep over the counter "helping" my Granny in that shop!

soop Mon 23-Jul-12 12:59:45

I would not wish to have tattoo. However, deep breath, before those who have a liking for tattoos feel that my remark is controversial [can't be too careful] I fully respect your choice in the matter. My sister has a bluebird tattoo on her shoulder. smile

Littlenellie Mon 23-Jul-12 13:15:51

I have two,one done as an approaching 50 rebellion 9 years ago ,it is a small butterfly,I have always wanted my children's names so designed shooting stars with names like whoosh marks at the base of my neck it is coloured as is my butterfly,I can show them off or cover them if inappropriate,I don't see anything wrong even if you are older,but I think you have to think carefully where they will go so that the effect is spoilt by ageing....they didn't hurt either.

Notsogrand Mon 23-Jul-12 13:21:08

I had a similar rebellion when I hit 50 nellie, and had a small sunflower tattooed at the top of my arm. Not really visible, even in a t-shirt, but I know it's there and I love it!

Littlenellie Mon 23-Jul-12 13:32:40

My 2nd was done last year notso,I think 50 is not so much about mid life crisis,but definitely Chang of life,I also left my husband of 26 years after his being unbearable with his mid life crisis...thing is wouldn't mind another probably on my wrist a forget me knot pattern,they are quite addictive .

Notsogrand Mon 23-Jul-12 13:43:07

Mine was prompted by suddenly noticing the frequency of references made within the family such as...You know what Mum's Like! or Your Mum wont like that you know.
So I thought, well if you all think you know me inside out and feel I'm that predictable..........guess what?
The shocked responses to my tattoo were very gratifying. grin

dorsetpennt Mon 23-Jul-12 13:45:30

I loathe tattoos - on men and women. Ever seen an old man's tattoo - it looks like someone has spilt ink on the area. Saw a wedding once, the bride wore a beautiful strapless dress and looked wonderful - until she turned around. There it was, a massive tattoo across her back which spoilt the whole look. My daughter has a couple of tiny ones on her hips and has threatened more elsewhere. She hasn't yet as she probably knows the reaction she'd get from her brother and me.

Nonu Mon 23-Jul-12 13:46:48

Good on yer notsogrand , it"s great surprising the offspring ! they think they know us , if only they knew , what ? [chuckle a lot]

moomin Mon 23-Jul-12 13:51:02

I've always been a bit blinkered in my opinion of tattoos, I'd have been horrified if my children had decided to have one done (the boys were always threatening to do it in their teens!). However, my DDiL1's mum had one done last year on her 70th birthday and I have to admit to being shocked shock - I mean, at her age wink but then my DDiL2 had a tattoo on her foot (can't imagine the pain shock) and it is actually quite beautiful!

Also, a friend of my DD in NZ has a small, discreet tattoo on her foot which I really liked when I saw it!

It seems to be a bit of a fashion "thing" now and not regarded in the same way it was in years gone by.

However, I don't think I'd ever have one myself.

Anagram Mon 23-Jul-12 14:03:21

Which King has a tattoo absent? confused

Anagram Mon 23-Jul-12 14:03:54

Elvis? confused