Gransnet forums

Chat

Tattoo at 70?

(61 Posts)
bakergran Mon 23-Jul-12 09:28:36

www.telegraph.co.uk/news/newstopics/howaboutthat/9417106/David-Steels-wife-Lady-Steel-reveals-why-pink-jaguar-tattoo-was-the-perfect-70th-birthday-present.html

A pink jaguar tattoo for your 70th birthday present to yourself - would you do it?

The only reason I never got a tattoo is because I was scared of the pain - and I haven't got any braver as I've got older! There's no way I would get a pink jaguar though. Pretty nasty if you ask me.

Zenella Sat 28-Jul-12 17:12:57

Don't know about there NannaAnna. My inner forearm is just as wrinkled as everywhere else on my body except perhaps for my stomach which stays smooth however how big it gets!

Anagram Fri 27-Jul-12 17:21:57

My DD's not like that at all, in fact rather the opposite! She has a tattoo at the back of one shoulder and hasn't regretted it yet (although she's only 32).

flump Fri 27-Jul-12 17:16:49

Had a chat with DD and she thought about the friends who had tattoos. She said that they were people who usually made decisions quite quickly, lived in the present and were not inclined to plan much for the future.

chess Fri 27-Jul-12 08:48:52

i can't help thinking that tattooing is a fashion thing. i've been in the fashion business for 30 years and know that once older women start to take on things the younger ones wear they immediately become unfashionable. I'm sure this is the same as tattoos.I'm already noticing fewer girls who come into my dress shop having tattoos as their mums and even grans do. I don't dislike some of the more discreet ones but feel it's a shame not to have something less permanent so it can be removed if and when the fad wears off

redfern Thu 26-Jul-12 23:46:58

I'd really love to have a small rose tattoo on my upper arm.
Not brave enough though.
Hats off to those who are! flowers

vampirequeen Thu 26-Jul-12 22:37:20

Viking dragons were protectors. They were on ships to scare off sea monsters and sea spirits that might do harm to the ship and/or it's crew.

Christian dragons just seem to be the bad guys who's role is to be defeated by the Christian hero.

I want a strong dragon not a wimp.

Gmajen Thu 26-Jul-12 22:23:45

Can I recommend a John Irving book which deals with the subject of tattooing by making the main character a female tattoo artist. Fantastic read

rozzo55 Thu 26-Jul-12 15:16:53

Never liked them personally, but have seen some excellent art work by tattoo artists. Good luck to her!

baNANA Thu 26-Jul-12 15:07:49

Yes do agree they can be sad my son got his first tattoo on the death of his older brother, which I understood at the time, but wished he could have stopped there. He then went on to get 3 more tattoos including one of his then current girlfriend, now an ex, and will therefore have to go through life with this girl's name, as lovely as she is, indelibly inked on his torso. Just reminds me of that sketch Catherine Tate did a while back when her teenage character Lauren had a tattoo of a boyfriend called Ryan, broke up with him and the sketch ends with her saying to her mates "anyone know a Ryan?" implication being any future boyfriends could only have that name. Why does Angelina Jolie, who I do like as an actress, have to have the geographical coordinates of her childrens' birthplaces inked all over her back and arms?, just looks atrocious in an evening dress, which she has to wear quite often.

NanaAnna Thu 26-Jul-12 13:56:42

Hey NannaAnna.....this is NanaAnna with one less 'n'. I didn't realise there were two of us with such similar usernames. This could get confusing!!!!!

As to those of you who can't understand why people get tattoos, all I can say is that there are many different reasons and some of them are very personal and very sad.

sussexpoet Thu 26-Jul-12 11:08:36

I've had a good laugh over some of these messages. I had always wanted to be tattooed: at the age of 40-plus I realised that there was nothing to stop me any more; my whole life had changed direction. So I got two tattoos done, one easily visible and one not!(immortalised in a poem). I'm now 74 and have never regretted having them done.
One amusing side-effect: my first design is a little bird on my shoulder. I found out some time later that in some circles this means that you've been imprisoned for something major; I finally understood why skinheads in the street and on the Underground kept giving me respect!
It's everybody's personal business how they ornament their faces and bodies: personally the very thought of having Botulinus toxin injected into my face makes me cringe, yet some people have it done regularly. There is, indeed, nowt as queer as folk!

Ella46 Thu 26-Jul-12 10:20:24

stansgran grin That's a very good idea!

Stansgran Wed 25-Jul-12 21:41:14

Over 75 I want DNR tattoed on my forehead

jeni Wed 25-Jul-12 20:39:15

confused I have never met a Christian dragon? How do their beliefs differ from the pagan dragons?
In fact, I have never had a long enough conversation with a dragon to discover their religion!
Have you! Even more confused

I think I'm going back to avatar land!

In fact, after today!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

It's more believable than what I've heard?

vampirequeen Wed 25-Jul-12 19:36:32

No a pagan dragon. A proper Viking dragon not a wishy washy St George wimp lol.

Littlenellie Wed 25-Jul-12 14:36:46

baNANA I had mine done as a little statement of who I am,and how I felt ,and for me to know that it is there if I WANT to show it and covered if I DON'T or it is inappropriate..I had another done last year at 58 in a place that isn't baggy or saggy and doesn't look tawdry..but it is my choice and my perogative to have that done,it can also be covered or shown depending on the situation,I suppose it is like body art and as someone else has said " beauty is in the eye of the beholder" and I see it like I see jewellery different things look good on different people some I like and some I don't.....having said that my daughter had tattoos and went too far and I hated them on her,and her nose piercing,my son has some that he would like removed....and has had piercings though they have now healed as he is older....I also argued with my daughter as a young single mum at 18 and a mixed race child in a council flat would have to work twice as hard to gain a good opinion of people and tattoos didn't help...my son has grown out of his....but I still love mine....I think it is an individual thing some people love'em and some people hate 'em but the important thing regardless is that we accept the person for who they are,and not how they are decorated....sunshine

Anagram Wed 25-Jul-12 14:03:25

Thanks absent!

jeni Wed 25-Jul-12 13:56:34

Not a Christian dragon?confused

vampirequeen Wed 25-Jul-12 13:33:08

I'd love a little pagan dragon on my foot but too scared of the pain.

absentgrana Wed 25-Jul-12 13:30:22

Anagram Edward VII.

whenim64 Wed 25-Jul-12 13:25:18

Can't stand them. My daughter has a small dolphin on her shoulder and is paying hundreds to have it gradually removed without it leavng a trace. It's taking months!

Ella46 Wed 25-Jul-12 12:51:11

As a matter of fact I think they are extremely unsightly too.

I just can't get hot under the collar about them, and as I said before, each to their own.

baNANA Wed 25-Jul-12 12:30:40

Flump I'm with you, one of my son's has four, hate them, hate them, hate them! Because they are so permanent, like you say nail varnish can be removed. I think it's such a shame when you see young people with wonderfully toned limbs with drawings all over themselves and it makes them look a bit dirty and tawdry. If you haven't got a perfect body then they only draw the eye in and personally I wouldn't want to draw attention to mine now I'm over 55. I also don't get "my little rebellion" cause I've reached 50, 60 or 70 in my opinion at best they look corny and cliched on an older woman and at worst they can look as rough as guts. However, we all hold different opinions so I must respect some see them as works of art.

flump Wed 25-Jul-12 11:54:51

Ella46 Nail varnish, makeup etc can be removed easily, tattoos cannot. I realise some people consider it beautiful. And, yes, each to their own.

Anagram I know it's a service. There will always be someone to provide whatever someone else wants, whatever that may be. It's the way of the world.

I was just trying to get a better insight into the reason why some people consider it at all, from a sociological point of view. However, I guess I'm not going to get very far with that, so I'm off to have lunch with my DD. Just FYI, she's of the 'each to their own' opinion.

Anagram Wed 25-Jul-12 11:33:06

Tattooists are providing a service, flump. I doubt that they feel the need to use skin as their canvas in some deviant way!