Gransnet forums

Chat

Your Gransnet habit

(56 Posts)
specki4eyes Mon 30-Jul-12 22:29:17

I'm wondering how similar everyone's connection with Gransnet is. Here's mine - I used to boot up my lap top, check my emails, read some newspaper headlines or articles, look up the weather etc etc. Just a leisurely little browse with my coffee. Now, I dash through just my emails, because I can't wait to Log in to Gransnet! Far more interesting than any magazine or paper! The wide ranging and diverse topics, the laughter and the heartaches shared, the little arguments that develop and then are resolved. It is a triumph.
But here's a confession, I don't tell anyone that I am a member. Not even DH. If I told him, he'd start spying and making disparaging comments - you know the sort - they usually start with the word "Women!" That would spoil it for me.
So come on, 'fess up, who else is a closet Gransnetter?

gracesmum Mon 30-Jul-12 22:41:34

Fortunately DH is totally un nosey but my Gransnet habit is way out of control and I can feel my fingers itching as soon as I get back if I go out of the house during the day.

whenim64 Mon 30-Jul-12 23:04:20

Yes, definitely closet! I don't want friends and family looking to see what I've been chatting about, even if they do already know what my opinion would be. Gransnet is just for me. smile

yogagran Mon 30-Jul-12 23:32:31

DH knows that I look at and read GN but doesn't know the extent of my addiction! Certainly wouldn't let him know my log-in details and I also use a different password to the ones that I normally use. I also prefer to use my own laptop or tablet to visit GN, if I use the main computer that we share I'm careful to delete my browsing history. We have to keep some things to ourselves don't we

harrigran Mon 30-Jul-12 23:39:35

I use my own laptop to log on but DH knows my username and I often relate jokes and amusing stories to him. I think he is probably glad that I am amusing myself and not bothering him.

Greatnan Tue 31-Jul-12 07:07:17

I am about to go 'cold turkey' for over two weeks as I am staying with my sister in England and she does not have internet connection. It will be tough!
I will miss you lot! I might sneak into her local library and have a crafty half hour.

Gagagran Tue 31-Jul-12 07:33:31

Hope you have a wonderful time Greatnan and enjoy the wedding - bring your brolly - it's raining again!

PRINTMISS Tue 31-Jul-12 07:40:10

I let everyone know I do this, and my daughter said that when she told her friends what I do, they were all a bit 'wow' about it, can't think why, she thought it was just the thing I would do, she knows I like to listen and chat (reading this is of course listening, isn't it) and I experiment with things on the computer. I think it is a great place to be, I have opinions about a lot of what is said, don't always agree with them, don't always write about them, but enjoy the 'company', so pass on the link to any one I think might be interested.

glassortwo Tue 31-Jul-12 07:49:10

My lot all know about my GN addiction, they are always laughing about it and when I bring something up in conversation 'oh where did you hear that dont tell me GN' hmm I am pleased I have given them something to keep them amused saved them being bored.

Ariadne Tue 31-Jul-12 08:16:28

My lot know too, and DH is always happy to hear GN stories. Mind you, he does love stroppy, assertive women (can't think why!) at the best of times.

I only mention it a little when out and about, usually to a like minded woman.

I have days when I'm always nipping back to GN, as the iPad makes it so easy - sit down, cup of coffee, GN!

Ella46 Tue 31-Jul-12 09:09:30

I resisted getting a lap top for a long time as I knew I'd be addicted, but my dd bought me one. It's taken over my life mainly since I joined GN.
My family and friends all know I'm on here, my life is an open book grin

I get up and read the paper and Gn,Emails and fb, in turn.
Some days I even have a life!

glassortwo Tue 31-Jul-12 09:10:58

hmm I leave my lap top open all day and as I pass have a peek!

Greatnan Tue 31-Jul-12 09:18:35

Ariadne, what on earth can you mean - stroppy, assertive women. We are all pussycats on GN. grin

Annobel Tue 31-Jul-12 09:20:35

The family know about GN from my passing references to it, but don't think they realise the extent of my addiction. grin

Greatnan Tue 31-Jul-12 09:27:29

Granjura and I are sitting in the same room, commenting on various threads!
GN is my chance to have a chat in English with women of more-or-less my own generation. I love the fact that there are huge differences in us - it would be boring if we all just echoed each other's opinions.

glammanana Tue 31-Jul-12 09:41:38

My family all know that I love GN and laugh at me when I am on for a while,DH tells DCs sorry you can't talk to mum yet she is gransnetting and I dare not interupt her,my user names and passwords are open for all to see in "my little black book" but they know that they would have no interest in what I had been posting,I leave my laptop on all day and pop in and out as the mood takes me,its the best pastime ever.

Annobel Tue 31-Jul-12 09:43:04

I often wonder what they would think if they happened to read through one of our parties...grin

Greatnan Tue 31-Jul-12 10:07:40

Mine wouldn't be surprised - they have long regarded me as 'eccentric' which is polite for 'mad as a box of frogs'.

glammanana Tue 31-Jul-12 10:31:17

Oops !! forgot about the parties annobel

petallus Tue 31-Jul-12 10:44:50

And what about the Fifty Shades of Grey thread?

I'm on and off Gransnet all day - so far this is the third time.

All family and some friends know. In fact, they must get a bit fed-up with me sometimes mentioning this or that which 'it says on Gransnet'.

The other day my 13 year old GS who was visiting came into the room whilst I was engrossed in one of our debates, glanced over and said 'Is that Gransnet? Are you Petallus?'

I said sternly 'I'm not telling you, the whole point of screen names is that you are anonymous'.

Luckily, he's much too involved in his own websites to bother about his grandmother's (I hope).

Amber Tue 31-Jul-12 10:54:42

I do not tell anyone not even my OH that I am a Gnetter ooh that even sounds like a confession!!smile

Mishap Tue 31-Jul-12 11:08:58

I tell people that I go on a website for grandparents, but don't say which one it is in case they log on and recognise me! My forum name is an old nickname (based on my maiden name) and the family know that this was what I was called. OH isn't likely to look in - he is in his own world!

specki4eyes Tue 31-Jul-12 13:23:05

OMG! There are other grandparent websites??!! Oh no!! please tell me not to look! grin

jeni Tue 31-Jul-12 13:32:24

I'm sitting here GNetting in my lunch break! I'm halfway through a very fraught tribunal and need some relief!

soop Tue 31-Jul-12 13:54:23

Since I do little other than sing the praises of GN and it's marvellous members, Mr soop understands that, if I'm not busy with [a little] housework, I'm otherwise engaged with issues that really matter to us lot. He has said many times, GN is GOOD for you...and what's more, he means it grin