Gransnet forums

Chat

South East Meet-Up

(60 Posts)
Notsogrand Sat 25-Aug-12 18:45:03

Just a toe dipping exercise to see who may be interested.....?

I would. smile

yogagran Sun 26-Aug-12 20:40:34

Guildford is fine with me. There's a main line station or if you're driving in there are three different "park & ride" places. Parking at them is free and if you have a bus pass then the bus into the centre of the city is free too
This website gives details of where they are:
www.guildford.gov.uk/parkandride

nanaej Sun 26-Aug-12 21:06:48

Guildford extremely easy for me as only 3 miles away .. am happy to seek out a meeting place if you want !

Notsogrand Sun 26-Aug-12 21:13:17

That would be great nanaej if you know the area. smile

nanaej Sun 26-Aug-12 21:32:36

OK..do we have a date yet?? I am a bit slow and did not join the thread earlier on! I will go on a reccie and post some links soon!

nanaej Sun 26-Aug-12 21:50:38

http://www.angelpostinghouse.com/facilities.php

Can look in and see what it all looks like.... it is an uphill walk from the station.. all of Guildford is...just saying in case anyone finds walking tricky.

Also if people are OK with Guildford make a post to say so. That way potential numbers can be estimated!

nanaej Sun 26-Aug-12 21:51:16

www.angelpostinghouse.com/facilities.php..oops forgot to click the box

nanaej Sun 26-Aug-12 21:52:38

www.angelpostinghouse.com/facilities.php

third time lucky!

annodomini Sun 26-Aug-12 22:44:11

When are you doing this? I could gatecrash join you. I could arrange to visit Sandhurst which is on the line from Reading to Guildford.

nanaej Sun 26-Aug-12 23:00:27

Don't know if any date has been suggested .. just that I live very near Guildford so said I would give info of potential meeting places..

Also nice restaurant at the top of House of Fraser store... may be able to reserve a good table ... happy to sort whatever people want ....

gramps Sun 26-Aug-12 23:43:17

I;m in North Kent - Dartford, backing onto Bluewater!

Of course, I'd have to buy a skirt, or I'd look out of place!

(just kidding Ladies!) grin

Notsogrand Mon 27-Aug-12 04:04:20

So are we settled on Guildford then?

Depending upon dates it looks as though definites would be:

Yoga
Nanaj
Annodomini
Notso

Wtih the following as possibilities ???

Daisy
Ariadne
Flump
Gramps
NannaAnna

The Angel Posting House looks lovely nanaj, what do people feel about the price range for their menu? Perhaps a bit pricey on top of travel costs? I'm not sure.

As for dates, what do people think? Some time towards the end of September or early October?

It's starting to look real now....how exciting!

nanaej Mon 27-Aug-12 10:28:05

The top floor of the House of Fraser Tea room is lovely..has views over the hills.. when we know numbers I could ask if they would reserve a table near a window. They are not cheap but would be less than The Angel. There are many other places like Cote and Loch Fyne & Jamies but was looking at easier to find venues!

Advantage of Post House is we could just sit in the lounge area if necessary whereas in a restaurant only may feel pressure to leave or keep ordering stuff!!

I will not have any costs getting there so happy to follow others' preferences.

nanaej Mon 27-Aug-12 10:38:39

Can we avoid Mondays & Thursdays as I work on those days? Also away from 5th October for a holiday... realise we will all have fixtures so hope we can find a date that meets all diaries!
Someone suggest some dates!

Notsogrand Mon 27-Aug-12 12:56:10

If everyone adds their preferences we should be able to fix a date to suit all nanaj
As I've retired, I'm fairly flexible with days of the week.

ninathenana Mon 27-Aug-12 13:04:21

bah, sad I'm in North Kent, but will be staying with DD in Camberley just down the road from Guildford but that's week begining 10th Sept.

This will take a bit longer to organise smile

ninathenana Mon 27-Aug-12 13:06:53

I'm retired too any date except 28th-29th Oct. suits me

Ariadne Mon 27-Aug-12 13:22:37

Think I'll have to wait for a West get together; if all goes well we're off to Devon 20th Spetember!!!

jeni Mon 27-Aug-12 13:28:00

The west is meeting in Birmingham on 6 oct.easy to get to from Devon!

baNANA Mon 27-Aug-12 13:44:59

Just read that Guildford is a possible meet up place, I can get there quite easily so add me to the list please.

Notsogrand Mon 27-Aug-12 14:04:31

Would you be able to get to Guildford from North Kent nina as long as we avoid late October?

The more the merrier baNANA!

yogagran Mon 27-Aug-12 14:37:11

I've been to the place at the top of the House of Fraser, it's good. We had a table for a school reunion that was a bit separate from the main tables. I think they wanted to keep us away from the quieter diners!
Will come back to you with my dates to avoid later if I may please

Ariadne Mon 27-Aug-12 17:27:42

Thanks, jeni will have a think. (Can't actually think beyond exchanging on Tuesday!) Ds2 lives in Cheltenham so could break the journey...

yogagran Mon 27-Aug-12 20:59:09

I'm away from October 3rd till 6th then again later in the month on the 17th till the 22nd. Something the week starting October 8th would suit me fine.
If you're planning for September - it's a bit "pot luck" as there's all sorts of things going on then

Notsogrand Tue 28-Aug-12 13:42:33

If you go away on October 5th nanaj, when will you be back?

We could potentially meet when you come back, but before yoga goes away on October 17th?

Or we could aim for a bit earlier than that.....how about either Friday 21st September or Friday 28th September? How would people feel about those dates?

(Note to self.....set up a speadsheet of holiday dates grin)

jeni Tue 28-Aug-12 13:47:16

Where are you off to nanaaj?