Gransnet forums

Chat

Funny old sayings that give away (y)our age

(131 Posts)
Grannyknot Tue 11-Sep-12 22:53:21

I said at work today 'I doff my hat to you' and my colleague looked at me blankly. I also recently said 'photo-stat machine' till a young colleague said 'Why do you say that, instead of photocopier?' (blush). I wondered why myself, and then remembered about roneo-stat machines, but decided against trying to explain to a 23 year old. No wonder DD sometimes says to me "How do you still fool them at work, woman?" grin

soop Wed 12-Sep-12 14:31:19

Movedalot Sometimes - on high days and holidays. grin

harrigran Wed 12-Sep-12 14:56:49

Yes, put the big light on. I can hear my mother saying it as she sat sewing at dusk.
Sandshoes but gym teacher calling them plimsolls.

Movedalot Wed 12-Sep-12 15:14:53

I set the table Kitty

Does anyone still talk about children or is it always kids?

feetlebaum Wed 12-Sep-12 15:31:43

@Granny23 : You've kindled a memory, with 'gutties'!

A member of the RAF Band in which I served, in Cyprus in the 50s, was a lovely gentle soul from the west of Scotland somewhere - he wasn't always easy to understand, I have to say. One day, he pointed at something in my tent and said "Wha's gu''ies are yuck?' (He glottal-stopped the 't's in gutties).

We questioned him for some time, but to this day I'm not certain if it was 'Whose plimsolls are the ones with the stains?' or '... are full of stones?' that he was asking!

Ah well, his euphonium playing spoke volumes...

vampirequeen Wed 12-Sep-12 15:47:39

I talk about the bus station and the train station rather than the interchange.

annodomini Wed 12-Sep-12 15:49:11

Our cookery teacher (in Ayrshire) would tell us to bring an ashet to the next lesson - a big plate, derived from the French assiette. Some joint of lamb (leg?) was known as a gigot which is also a French word.

kittylester Wed 12-Sep-12 16:20:18

Gaga my nan used to side the table. She was a mill girl from Horwich and had a host of funny sayings which might, or might, not come back to me grin

annodomini Wed 12-Sep-12 16:22:19

My in-laws, from West Yorkshire, sided the table and washed the pots. Coming from Ayrshire, I needed an interpreter - my ex.

Lilygran Wed 12-Sep-12 16:24:11

We used to side the pots. Do you mash tea? Or do you brew it? Not 'train station' absent. Station used to mean trains.

Ella46 Wed 12-Sep-12 16:32:04

We used to set the table, and side the table and then wash the pots. We dried them with a pot towel not a tea towel.

vampirequeen Wed 12-Sep-12 16:49:55

Films are shown at the pictures and I still miss the shorts and the main feature. Now you just get adverts and the film.

Bez Wed 12-Sep-12 16:56:50

No ice cream girl either in the interval - remember the Edgar Alan Poe black and white films which were so often the 'B' film.

soop Wed 12-Sep-12 17:05:13

Yes! And we had an organ that came up in front of the stage in the cinema and Reginald Dixon would play jolly tunes prior to the film starting. I loved Pathe News...with the crowing cockerel...and how, as ABC Minors, we stamped our feet whenever the villain did something wrong. The back seats were 2/6d and 1/9d along the front row. As ABC Minors, we children got in for a shilling. Now, those were the days...grin

annodomini Wed 12-Sep-12 17:16:58

My granny - born and bred Dundee working class - used to 'infuse' the tea. i don't know if this usage was prevalent or if she was being 'posh'

vampirequeen Wed 12-Sep-12 21:00:16

I was an ABC minor and when we stamped our feet the whole circle shook. Every week the manager would stop the film, come on stage and tell us all off. Then he would threaten to throw us all out. We would calm down a bit but I wonder how the poor old Royalty ever survived.

Tea mashes it doesn't brew and if it's left too long it stews.

I go into town not into the city centre and if I go to one of the major shopping streets I go on t'road.

Rain siles down...not pour.

Does anyone remember eating lap of lamb. It came on the bones, you picked it up with your fingers and the grease ran down your chin. The only time we were allowed to use our hands to eat at teatime.

annodomini Wed 12-Sep-12 21:05:45

We went 'down the town' and 'up the country'.

vegasmags Wed 12-Sep-12 22:13:37

I completely confused my GS by asking him, when he was down in the dumps, if he'd lost a bob and found a tanner. I still refer to my brother as 'our kid' even though he's now 70! And when someone is anxious that a stain or similar is obvious, I still reassure them with a saying of my dad's: 'A blind man on a galloping horse will never notice that'.

glassortwo Wed 12-Sep-12 22:17:37

vampire my MIL made a really good lap hotpot.

MiceElf Wed 12-Sep-12 22:26:34

Tha's elevenpence to the bob.

annodomini Wed 12-Sep-12 23:03:55

Wha's stealt your scone?

Nelliemoser Wed 12-Sep-12 23:15:43

How about an "occaisional table" which to me means a small side table of normal height ie (not a low coffee table)

Joan Wed 12-Sep-12 23:19:44

vampirequeen I remember stamping our feet at the flicks when we went to the Saturday matinee. This was 'cos we didn't like the 'sloppy' bits, ie we didn't appreciate it when the cowboy hero kissed the woman who'd caused all the trouble in the first place.

Having moved from West Yorkshire to Queensland, sometimes I forget what is old fashioned, what is Yorkshire, and what is different just 'cos it's English.

Anyway, here are some of mine:
set t'table.
Side t'table
mash t'tea
petticoat
knicker elastic
swimming costume (swimmers or here)
Wireless is a problem - so anxious not to get it wrong, I've been known to call the wireless on my computer, radio.
video for DVD
and lots more I can't bring to mind.

gramps Wed 12-Sep-12 23:47:10

Anagram, "cossie" is a abreviation quite often used!

Littlenellie Thu 13-Sep-12 07:41:11

Mum would say about someone who she thought was daft,oh they are ha'penny short of a shilling...
Dad would say of someone a bit dodgy," ' E's as bent as a nine bob note"

Littlenellie Thu 13-Sep-12 07:59:34

And thinking of the Saturday morning pictures,we used to have 6d or 9d seats all the wimpy kids used to upstairs in the circle,and we rowdies all used to go downstairs in 6d seats,but there was a fire exit,one person paid and let the rest in the back fire exit..you just pushed up the bar,then you split the entrance money to buy sweets and chips on the way home,we used to see The perils of Pauline which used to make me feel important,as that is my real name,and all the other kids used to laugh.
Some of the posh rowdies used to go in the circle with the wimps and lob rubbish and missiles at the kids downstairs.
We used to get our money to get in from the R Whites factory by the bomb site in the town by pinching the bottles out the back at taking them to the off licence and getting the 2d deposit back we have a divvy up at the end of the week and that was our money for the flicks.....happy days sunshine