Gransnet forums

Chat

Funny old sayings that give away (y)our age

(131 Posts)
Grannyknot Tue 11-Sep-12 22:53:21

I said at work today 'I doff my hat to you' and my colleague looked at me blankly. I also recently said 'photo-stat machine' till a young colleague said 'Why do you say that, instead of photocopier?' (blush). I wondered why myself, and then remembered about roneo-stat machines, but decided against trying to explain to a 23 year old. No wonder DD sometimes says to me "How do you still fool them at work, woman?" grin

annodomini Mon 17-Sep-12 11:18:04

Soup is made in the pressure cooker which cuts the cooking time by at least half and so saves on the gas. Since I cook only small quantities of potatoes and other veg, it's cost-effective to use the microwave - 5 minutes instead of 25 on the hob. I buy a kilo of carrots, use half for carrot and coriander soup and freeze the rest.

annodomini Mon 17-Sep-12 11:19:50

Think I put that in the wrong thread - sorry!

trendygran Mon 17-Sep-12 16:59:53

My Gran always used to announce that the bathroom was"at liberty" Can just imagine saying that to my Grandchildren. They'd wonder what planet I
came from. Mind you, I do wonder that myself at times these days!

vampirequeen Tue 18-Sep-12 11:29:04

Totally showed my age today. Described the weather as a blanket day and youngster had no idea what I was talking about. Didn't understand I meant it was sunny and breezy...perfect for drying blankets lol.

annodomini Tue 18-Sep-12 11:34:25

As opposed to a 'duvet day'!