Gransnet forums

Chat

Where's my Memory?

(31 Posts)
merlotgran Tue 25-Sep-12 18:07:05

bcove.me/ld86hjjp

My SIL has just sent me this. Made me laugh as I have just spent twenty minutes looking for the car keys.....they were in DH's pocket and I asked him TWICE if he'd seen them.

Ana Tue 25-Sep-12 18:10:20

I love that, Merlot! So funny! grin

matson Tue 25-Sep-12 18:15:47

last week without a care in the world, i queued in my local bank for 10 mins to post a parcel!!!!!!! felt so daft [ confused]

annodomini Tue 25-Sep-12 18:20:14

So what did I do today? Turned up 50 minutes early for my doctor's appointment so had time to do a bit of shopping, take it home, look at Gransnet and get back to the health centre. After all that, she was running late. While I was shopping, I doubled back to get something I wanted from an aisle I'd just passed. Then I couldn't remember what I wanted - then I got home without the butter. Why am I confessing these lapses? Well, I want you all to feel you're not alone. grin

jeni Tue 25-Sep-12 18:22:51

And me!

merlotgran Tue 25-Sep-12 18:25:59

I often pick up the laptop because I want to google something and then forget what it was so I go through the, 'go back to where you were when you first thought of it' routine. confused

Grannyknot Tue 25-Sep-12 18:30:17

I have so many security or access passes (a.k.a. "electronic tags" because you can't move without them) that I regularly stand in front of the lift at work waving my Freedom Pass or try to get through the turnstile at the station with my work access pass. blush

Ana Tue 25-Sep-12 18:33:17

Oh, the times I've tried to pay for my shopping in the supermarket with my Boots Advantage card....blush

merlotgran Tue 25-Sep-12 18:42:03

I haved shoved my nectar card in a cash machine then panicked because it's not accepted.

Greatnan Tue 25-Sep-12 18:53:20

Too close to home! But very funny!

nightowl Tue 25-Sep-12 18:53:26

The other evening I was on my mobile phone talking to a friend and she asked me if I had another friend's mobile number. 'Just a minute' I said 'it's in my phone'. I then start looking for my mobile - can't find it anywhere. 'Oh no' I said in a panic, 'I'll have to call you back - I've lost my phone'. 'Aren't you speaking to me on it?' she said. blush

littlemo Tue 25-Sep-12 19:07:50

This morning I had to dress my 9 month old grandson. I gathered all his clothes together - vest, top, shirt, trousers, socks and shoes. He is at an age where dressing him is like wrestling a jellyfish but I managed until I came to put on his socks and I couldn't find them anywhere. I was certain I had brought them in but they were nowhere to be found.
After searching all around I put him back in his cot and went to get another pair thinking I must have been mistaken about getting them already. However when I came back to put on the new socks I found the first pair - I had already put them on his feet!

crimson Tue 25-Sep-12 19:30:14

I drew £100 out of a cash machine; took my card and walked away. Heard a clunk and realised I'd forgotten to take the money. Had to wait a week for the bank to sort out their money before I could have it. And this was years ago. I'm much worse now! nightowl; you have numbers stored on your phone!! I have a scrap of paper with them all written on as I don't know how to use it properly blush...

nightowl Tue 25-Sep-12 19:41:26

crimson it's been a long hard journey, but I have been dragged into the mobile age by my daughter who tries to get me to use my phone for all sorts of things apart from making and receiving calls - eeek! No wonder I get confused

Ella46 Tue 25-Sep-12 19:54:03

merlot That is soo funny!!

annodomini Tue 25-Sep-12 20:04:43

In France this spring, I was using a pre-loaded mastercard. When I tried to pay a hotel bill, it was rejected and I had to use my credit card. Several times I tried to use it and it kept on being rejected. I was sure that my pin for that card was the same as for my debit card - until I tried the number I use for my credit card. Bingo!! blush

Grannyknot Tue 25-Sep-12 22:17:29

'Nightowl' LOL! I do that panic thing too ... grin

merlotgran Tue 25-Sep-12 22:25:53

Has anyone else come out of a supermarket, pushed the trolley to the car and then noticed with horror there's a big scrape down the side? You wonder what on earth has happened, how your going to explain it to DH and then the penny drops....It's not your car grin

Ana Tue 25-Sep-12 22:28:35

I've actually tried my car key in the lock of 'my' in a car park and wondered why it wouldn't work - until of course I realised......blush

Ana Tue 25-Sep-12 22:29:24

Should have read 'my car' of course - do wish we had an edit function!

bikergran Tue 25-Sep-12 22:31:32

Went for a weekend away 3 weeks ago (only!! went the wrong weekend)!!! shock

merlotgran Tue 25-Sep-12 22:43:53

We went to SIL's 70th last Saturday. We would have turned up on Sunday because I hadn't read the invitation properly but thanks to Facebook, I spotted a request from my niece to her friends for some extra folding chairs as they were having a big BBQ on SATURDAY for a very important occasion. Phew! shock

annodomini Tue 25-Sep-12 23:13:17

Ana - I did that just the other day - same colour car but not a Toyota! blush

Elegran Tue 25-Sep-12 23:16:33

I once came out of the supermarket after a quick shop while DH waited for me in the car, returned, threw the shopping in the boot and went to sit in the passenger seat beside a surprised stranger - same colour and size of car but not ours.

Greatnan Wed 26-Sep-12 08:32:27

I can't blame all my lapses on age - when I was in my 40's I hired a car while mine was being serviced. I forget to note the number, make or even the colour. I parked it in the multi-storey at Liverpool and completely forgot even which floor it was on. I had to walk up and down seven floors until I saw a car with my coat on the back seat. Now, of course, I would have an electronic key - they are great for recognising your car! I blamed it on having too much on my mind. Now, I make a note of my rental car number as soon as I pick it up.
My sister has been leaving bags, umbrellas, shopping, etc. on buses and in telephone kiosks for most of her adult life. She has had her purse stolen several times because she leaves it on top of her shopper then turns to get something off the shelf. She now has a coiled thing which attaches it to her bag - but last month she left her bag in Wilkinsons. She was convinced somebody had stolen it in Morrisons, and reported it to the police and cancelled all her cards. As it had her address and her keys in it, she was about to get the locks changed when Wilkinson rang her on the Tuesday to say she had left it there on Saturday. She was, quite naturally, somewhat annoyed that they had left it three days, especially as it contained vital medication for her heart complaint. Fortunately, she had more at home. I have now given up nagging her about looking after her belongings as it is obviously something she just cannot help.