Gransnet forums

Chat

Gransnet How did you hear about it?

(61 Posts)
glitabo Thu 11-Oct-12 23:04:28

I was surprised when reading another thread to find out that there are about 7,000 Gnetters. How did you hear about GN.
I think I found it accidentally when surfing?

Ella46 Fri 12-Oct-12 09:53:28

I heard about Mumsnet first and told my dd, and I think I must have read it in the Daily Mail paper.

Marelli Fri 12-Oct-12 10:02:50

I'd read about it in a newspaper. It was an article by Polly Toynbee, who said that she'd very likely join the forum.....come on then - who are you Polly? Out with it!! wink

annodomini Fri 12-Oct-12 10:08:19

Are you a lurker, Polly? Or are you 'one of us', contributing incognito? All I know is that I'm not you!

harrigran Fri 12-Oct-12 10:38:13

It isn't any of us that have met up or we would know who she is.
I read about Gransnet on BT Yahoo and joined within days of it starting, I asked DH "do you think I should" ? I think he may now be regretting saying yes because jobs don't get done until I have read the latest happenings.

DavidH22 Fri 12-Oct-12 10:43:46

As a self-confessed lurker I heard about Gransnet at the last Budget when I read quotes from a representative of the site pointing out the anger site members felt at how Osborne's measures would affect them.
I tend not to be active on the forum as I find the majority of views expressed are fairly ingrained. I still read them and find the opinions on all sides of an arguement very interesting.

Grannyeggs Fri 12-Oct-12 11:07:26

I read it in a paper too, ella. She wrote anarticle about it and said she was disappointed that there were not more postings about Grandchildren and too much other chat, I quite liked the sound of it and joined immediately. Ms journalist, are you still out there and are you enjoying it more?

jeni Fri 12-Oct-12 11:34:12

My DD when she became a mother told me about it and said she thought I'd enjoy it!
I'm still thinking about it!
Seriously it's the best thing since vodka!

Nanadogsbody Fri 12-Oct-12 11:59:56

* david* grin

POGS Fri 12-Oct-12 13:04:25

DD suggested I try it as I was just learning how to use a computer. Still am. I don't know of any friends or family who use it.

Granny23 Fri 12-Oct-12 13:18:39

I joined Mumsnet nearly six years ago, when DD1 was pregnant with DGS1, to learn about current baby products and practises, as my knowledge was nearly 40 years out of date. I was about to give up on Mumsnet - the gratuitous swearing really annoyed me - when the launch of Gransnet was announced and I came over from the dark side.

tezizin Fri 12-Oct-12 13:33:53

Hi folks. I have just joined 'gransnet' after reading about it in 'computeractive' magazine.Will be spending some time nosing around to see how it all works.smile

annodomini Fri 12-Oct-12 13:42:32

Welcome, tezizin. We are sometimes slightly (?) mad, but invariably supportive. Enjoy 'nosing around' and join in whenever you feel like it.

tezizin Fri 12-Oct-12 13:57:58

Thanks ANNODOMINI smile

whenim64 Fri 12-Oct-12 14:01:14

Welcome tezizin. Interesting to find we are highlighted in a computer magazine smile

Nanadogsbody Fri 12-Oct-12 14:02:52

Welcome tezizin

kittylester Fri 12-Oct-12 14:03:41

Hi tezizin flowers

I am also still me grin and I too heard about it on Breakfast, so presumably when absent did.

jeni Fri 12-Oct-12 14:14:26

Wellcome tezizin and I'm still me (I think) confused

tezizin Fri 12-Oct-12 14:20:39

hello Kittylester & Jenni glad you are both still you wink

nonnasusie Fri 12-Oct-12 14:23:16

My DD told me about it and sent me the link. She is a member of Mumsnet and thought I might be interested!

gracesmum Fri 12-Oct-12 15:24:21

Some of us were discussing this last week in Brum and I have to admit I have no idea how I first came upon Gransnet, but I spend more time on it than just about anything else!

numberplease Fri 12-Oct-12 15:50:58

I was told about Gransnet by a friend who`d just joined.

glassortwo Fri 12-Oct-12 16:56:17

I was a Mumsnet addict but mostly lurked unless I was having a brave day hmm as you need to keep your head down over on the darkside!
So I waited patiently for the GN Launch morning so I could join, I am still me, in fact same user name as Mumsnet grin I am confused enough without changing names!!!

Maniac Fri 12-Oct-12 19:05:21

Talking to a friend in 'Growing old Disgracefully' about the heartbreak of 'Denied Contact' with my grandson.She told me about Gransnet I've had lots of support and comfort.The problem has not been resolved,but I've made lots of new friends,had scintillating discussions,been on my first cruise withjeni and met a gp of lovely GNs in Birmingham last week. What next?!!

Elle Fri 12-Oct-12 20:21:57

I saw the link in the magazine Computer Active. A forum for grannies seemed just up my street so I joined just fifteen minutes ago. Be gentle with me.

whitewave Fri 12-Oct-12 20:42:08

elle hello and welcome. Some grans will be gentle and some not!! But it is a friendly site and as chatty as you want it to be.