Gransnet forums

Chat

Gransnet How did you hear about it?

(61 Posts)
glitabo Thu 11-Oct-12 23:04:28

I was surprised when reading another thread to find out that there are about 7,000 Gnetters. How did you hear about GN.
I think I found it accidentally when surfing?

janeainsworth Fri 12-Oct-12 20:53:58

I came via the Oldie.
The first thread I looked at consisted of people complaining that Oldie readers had been allowed their own sub-forum, and just who did these people think they were.
Plus ca change!
grin

Nonny Fri 12-Oct-12 21:02:03

Hello Elle.
I heard about Gransnet on radio 4 probably on Womans Hour. I like to read the discussions.

Elegran Fri 12-Oct-12 22:00:22

Jane I remember that stushie. I think at the root of it was that it appeared unexpectedly with no warning that we would be sharing our toys with someone else - not just new members (they appear all the time) but a whole group transplanted in.

janeainsworth Fri 12-Oct-12 22:31:35

elegran that was what seemed so unfair! That Oldie readers were being lumped together like children from a school that had been closed down, going to another school and then muscling in and taking over the playground!
The reality, for me anyway, was that although I had been a subscriber to the Oldie since the first issue, I had never been on the Oldie website or communicated in any way with any other Oldie Readers.
GN felt like a very hostile place and I didn't bother coming back for months.
Glad I did though grin

harrigran Fri 12-Oct-12 22:42:29

Welcome newbies smile

annodomini Fri 12-Oct-12 22:48:52

Glad you did too, jane. smile

Ana Fri 12-Oct-12 22:49:48

I remember all that fuss, janeainsworth! Glad you decided to stay. smile

janeainsworth Fri 12-Oct-12 22:53:11

Thank you, harri anno and anasmile
moon

Elegran Fri 12-Oct-12 23:14:39

Yes Jane glad you stayed.

That was exactly how it felt, true enough - as though one morning the playground was suddenly full of kids from another school. I think there was some confusion about when they would all arrive, and the announcement at school assembly did not happen until after the "invasion". A pity.

It did subside though, and those of you who stayed on or joined since are all one with the rest.

janeainsworth Sat 13-Oct-12 07:28:00

Thank you Elegran
Have a good day everyone.
I'm back up to Newcastle today after 3 days of looking after DGD while DD was away on a school trip. DGD was an absolute delight and I feel I'm a very lucky GN. sunshine