Gransnet forums

Chat

Extra hours sleep tonight - yippeeeeee

(33 Posts)
Soupy Sat 27-Oct-12 09:38:37

Well folks, the clocks go back tonight so we'll all get an extra hour in bed.

DH and I are going out for a group meal with about 20 other people and it's over an hours drive each way so I'm thrilled we get a bit of a lie in tomorrow.

Not really looking forward to the dark afternoons to come though.

vampirequeen Sat 27-Oct-12 10:04:01

It's swings and roundabouts. I like the extra our but like you not looking forward to dark afternoons. On the other hand I live northish and wouldn't relish waiting until after 9am for dawn in mid winter.

petallus Sat 27-Oct-12 10:08:43

Doesn't please me because I always wake up too early through insomnia and now it will be even earlier when I am sitting up in bed reading and waiting for the day to begin.

goldengirl Sat 27-Oct-12 10:12:22

I loathe dark early evenings. I just don't feel safe in my area and so stay in more. At least the mornings will be a bit lighter though so I won't feel like a mole too much. We actually had a smattering of snow in the night which is just melting! Winter has arrived though a lot of the tree still have their leaves. Some of the photos of autumnal shades in the papers are gorgeous and very cheering.

Gally Sat 27-Oct-12 10:20:31

Someone - a sleep 'expert' - on the news has just told me that it's 'very'bad' for us to have that extra hour - apparently we won't catch up with sleep until the clocks go forward in Spring - what a load of old tosh wink

Soupy Sat 27-Oct-12 10:36:27

Wonder how the sleep expert accounts for jetlag then Gally?!!

Gally Sat 27-Oct-12 10:44:24

Well Soupy I really don't know - after a couple of journeys to Oz and back between now and then I will probably be on another planet or have metamorphosed into some strange unsleeping creature........grin

gracesmum Sat 27-Oct-12 11:18:54

I hate the dark afternoons/evenings too and suspect it contributes to the increase in accidents although the same could be said for dark mornings. I remember putting the clocks back by 2 hours as an experiment when I was a student in St Andrews, I know students have a reputation for rarely seeing daylight, but I would have qualified as a vampire. It seemed like perpetual gloom!
Most of the hour I gain is spent putting all those clocks and timers back by an hour so not a lot of benefit. Dog doesn't seem to know about it either.

tanith Sat 27-Oct-12 12:07:16

I hate the dark afternoon/evenings, I find closing the blinds in the late afternoon makes my mood mellow.. although I wake early so light in the early am doesn't bother me..

absentgrana Sat 27-Oct-12 12:26:16

I can't put my cats back. They will still assemble outside my bedroom, bang on the door, scrabble on the carpet and howl for breakfast as usual tomorrow.

glassortwo Sat 27-Oct-12 12:30:07

absent the same with the DGC they will still be through at silly o'clock stood at the side of my bed until I open my eyes to " Grandma we are hungry" I need a lock on the door and then they might find their way to their parents bedroom hmm

absentgrana Sat 27-Oct-12 12:34:53

glass Or they might just assemble outside your bedroom, bang on the door, scrabble on the carpet and howl…

glassortwo Sat 27-Oct-12 13:07:03

Hmm absent easier to provide breakfast. grin

Ella46 Sat 27-Oct-12 18:00:46

glass can't you just leave them a little surprise snack in their bedroom? Like a packet of sandwiches and a flask of tea! grin

gracesmum Sat 27-Oct-12 18:47:00

Is that the cats or the grandchildren?smile

Ana Sat 27-Oct-12 18:53:28

Mine would be in the kitchen, foraging....

absentgrana Sat 27-Oct-12 18:55:26

Only one of my cats – Dingbat aka Fatty – drinks tea. They all like Marmite on toast.

glassortwo Sat 27-Oct-12 23:45:30

Well Dgd will want chocolate sandwiches and dgs will want little weetabix with warm milk, but I might not be fit to make breakfast for them tomorrowgrin

grannyactivist Sun 28-Oct-12 00:36:02

It's just me then is it? I love it when the clocks go back and the long evenings set in. grin

NannaAnna Sun 28-Oct-12 00:41:21

I won't get an extra hour because I have to drive to Heathrow at silly o'clock to pick up daughter (returning from doing shows in Doha) as her husband is working.
At least I'll get a lovely pub sunday roast for my trouble (cooked by SIL - he's the chef).

absentgrana Sun 28-Oct-12 08:28:44

Cats were bang (literally) on time as predicted. Still I get an extra hour on Gransnet. grin

NfkDumpling Sun 28-Oct-12 09:03:24

Woke up at half past five (GMT) this morning. Got up at six. Being retired means I can just pretend it hasn't happened. Worked last year - until the clocks went forward in the spring and I still kept adjusting the time for appointments!

Gally Sun 28-Oct-12 09:44:09

I woke up at 7 on the dot and thought, no not getting up yet, so watched a ridiculously weepy Catherine Cookson on the telly - now I can't get going at all. MrG would have been horrified at what I get up to these days - telly in bed on a sunday morning - Never!!

jeni Sun 28-Oct-12 09:46:11

Couldn't sleep! Got up and had my annual bath. Almost fell over! As the handle on the wall I lean on to get in and out decided to lose its suction and part company with the wall!
I then had to remember how to work the bath lift.
It's no use, I'll have to forgo another cruise next year and have wet room fitted!
Don't worry though, I do have showers inbetween, but the shower in my room is very cramped.
I now have the first load of washing in. Just having a coffee prior to reading files for next week.

nanaej Sun 28-Oct-12 10:50:15

Went to bed early (10 ish) and woke up at 7:00 ish new time =result! grin