Gransnet forums

Chat

Do you believe in Mediums

(60 Posts)
CHEELU Thu 13-Dec-12 23:07:25

I am so intterested in this. My daughter in law swears by her one and asks her loads of stuff, according to her she is always spot on. I went to one once and she described my life to a tee.

dorsetpennt Mon 14-Jan-13 09:53:37

I'm sorry everyone it's all hokum! My son worked on a TV programme with some so called Psychics and said they were very clever. Were able to ask various questions which appeared to the 'sitters' to be an insight or a forecast of their lives. These poor people were trying to contact a deceased person who may have been murdered so obviously were very distressed. My son was horrified at how the pyschic detectives were able to tap into their grief.

gracesmum Sun 13-Jan-13 18:07:36

Goodness nanaej - so did my Mum!! The local AmDrams really fancied themselves they were called The Selkirk Players and Mum rarely got more than the odd line but this was her moment of glory!

nightowl Sun 13-Jan-13 14:59:11

A little OT, but this thread reminds me of a parents' evening for DS1 over 20 years ago when his teacher told us the class had been talking about this subject. She said they had made a 'luigi board'. OH and I were looking at each other wondering what on earth she was talking about but as she went on the penny dropped. I am still not sure what was the worst thing about this whole episode. This was a class of 8 and 9 year olds confused

london Sun 13-Jan-13 14:28:34

years ago my cousin and her friends had the glass out on her mothers table, when my brother walked in she said the glass moved and spelt things only he would no ,smileno i dont believe in mediums ,but my mother did x

Nelliemoser Sun 13-Jan-13 14:04:13

I do believe in Mediums. I am totally unconvinced that they can do what they claim.
Is that more pedantry? wink

crimson Sun 13-Jan-13 13:51:54

I used to live in a very old manor house in Cornwall and sometimes friends would come round and use a ouija board. To this day it scares me to think of how frightened I was one night afterwards. I must contact my flatmate form that time one day to ask her what she remembers of it.

nanaej Sun 13-Jan-13 13:44:16

grace always said in our home too!
My mother was into amateur dramatics and played Madam Arcarti in Blithe Spirit..iI can remember being fascinated by the idea of mediums as a child as a result. My father was clear that it was all 'tosh & nonsense'!! As an adult I echo my father's view.

gracesmum Sun 13-Jan-13 13:37:46

Always strike a happy medium was one of my father's favourite aphorisms grin

feetlebaum Sun 13-Jan-13 13:33:47

The ouija board - originally marketed as a game,- 'works' through the involuntary impulses, known as 'ideomotor effect' which propel the planchette.

To see this in action, have someone 'operate' it while blindfolded - the 'results' will be mostly unintelligible.

jeni Sat 15-Dec-12 12:03:05

See above thread for definition

CHEELU Sat 15-Dec-12 11:32:27

what is pedant corner

Lilygran Sat 15-Dec-12 08:51:15

Ariadne grin!

Nelliemoser Sat 15-Dec-12 08:35:38

jess Back in my NWR days we went to the home of a Jewish member who was trying to explain various Jewish Festivals to us. The person who was able to fill in the most details of these was a from a northern Ireland Protestant background. She was obviously much better schooled in the Old Testament.

JessM Sat 15-Dec-12 08:17:46

When my Dneice was in Catholic girls school in Ireland aged 12, she (from an atheist background) was the only girl in the class who knew that Protestants were Christians. shock

Ariadne Sat 15-Dec-12 06:14:10

Greatnan grin

Ariadne Sat 15-Dec-12 06:13:23

Lilygran I was correcting myself! As an ex English teacher, I should be more careful! smile

Greatnan Sat 15-Dec-12 06:11:35

Cheelu, I love your remark that Catholics are now referred to as Christians!

CHEELU Sat 15-Dec-12 00:25:59

Yes it will move if you rinse it due to the water--have I mis understood, it didnt just move willy nilly it moved towards words and spelt stuff--Its ok if you are not a believer of these things but it did happen.

harrigran Sat 15-Dec-12 00:22:42

Of course the glass moved CHEELU it is the heat of the fingers which warms the air inside the glass. Try rinsing a glass with hot water and upturning it on the worktop, it will move entirely on its own.

CHEELU Fri 14-Dec-12 23:51:42

Well mostly sceptics then I was not aware that the Christian religon is against Mediums, I wonder if that also covers RC I assume so as RC's are now more often refered to as Christians...I can tell you that when I was 9yrs old I played the ouigi board alone==my family used to play it recreationally and that glass did move.

Lilygran Fri 14-Dec-12 21:13:07

One pedant, two or more pedants

Ariadne Fri 14-Dec-12 20:45:40

Pedants'. Whoops!

Lilygran Fri 14-Dec-12 19:56:56

Before I join Ariadne in Pedants' Corner - There's a difference, isn't there, between mediums and psychics? Although, as Greatnan suggests and miceElf confirms, the mainstream churches advise members against contact with both, there are several spiritualist churches whose members believe in direct contact with the spirits of the dead. I think psychics claim to be able to read character, life history and to predict the future through various techniques and devices. And no, I don't believe anyone can do any of the above.

jO5 Fri 14-Dec-12 19:09:42

No.

Ariadne Fri 14-Dec-12 18:50:24

Sorry, granjura was being a bit slow there! [ smile]