Gransnet forums

Chat

Nominations for retirement in 2013

(90 Posts)
JessM Mon 31-Dec-12 10:03:05

I am reluctant to say anyone should be prevented from continuing to work past 65 on the grounds of their date of birth. These days many people retain their sharp wits and reasonable health into their 80s.
There are a few notable examples in the media that are going on and on. And on. The only ones I can think of are men. This in part reflects the poverty of opportunity for women of their generation. But the BBC is not immune to agism.
Off the top of my head the three the BBC keep using are:
Attenborough 86
John Humphries 69
Bruce Forsythe 84
I went through an anti Attenborough phase and have come out the other side.
Would any of these be still going if they were women? Is it time for any or them, or anyone else, to step down now and give someone else a chance? And are there any other suggestions?

Riverwalk Thu 03-Jan-13 09:54:52

It's quite scandalous that there are just so many male presenters on radio/TV, who've been around for years, and now in their 50s, 60s, 70s & 80s ....... and no equivalent females.

So not only do the men get most of the plum jobs in the first place, moving around presenting various programmes, they are then secure and don't get shunted aside as the women do.

dorsetpennt Thu 03-Jan-13 10:09:53

These I'd like to retire but not necessarily because of their age just because I'm fed up with seeing them. Bruce Forsyth [I don't want to hear that he's a national treasure, he's not he's past it].Stephen Fry [too much exposure] Benedict Cumberbatch [same reason] Simon Cowell, Russell Brand, Jonathon Ross, those two so-called comedians who got drunk on Channel 4 and made crude remarks about the Queen. No women in that collection!

JessM Thu 03-Jan-13 12:31:16

Yes well, i guess if we sat down for an evening and just did little tally of people on non-fiction non-reality TV there would still be a lot more men than women.
And how many times has Any Questions had a female majority on the panel?

Movedalot Thu 03-Jan-13 13:17:14

David Cassidy?

Sorry to be controversial but is BF any worse than he has always been? I have never 'appreciated' him. People like Cliff and Macca at least used to be worth watching but have had their day now.

Yes, Leave John Hunphrys alone, I would miss him terribly. You can also leave Rod Stewart who has done a great job of reinventing himself. Have you noticed his wife is always in the audience when he performs?

I would retire Darcy Bussel, she isso annoying!

Ana Thu 03-Jan-13 13:29:20

David Cassidy? confused I haven't seen him hogging the airwaves recently, Movedalot!

crimson Thu 03-Jan-13 13:29:47

I thought Engelbert was fantastic in the Eurovision Song Contest. It actually made me want to see him live; never thought I'd say that thirty or so years ago. What has Rod Stewart reinvented himself as? He couldn't really carry on as he was into his seventies[I keep thinking of Kenny Everett impersonations of him smile].

Movedalot Thu 03-Jan-13 13:53:56

RS has gone in for more crooning than rock these days and it really suits him.

DS was on TV about a year ago and was awful with that stupid grin from when he was a child.

Never did 'get' Engle so happy to see him go.

kittylester Thu 03-Jan-13 14:22:10

Englebery used to work for my father - well I say worked, he actually sat around singing and daydreaming and getting on his fellow workers nerves.

jO5 Thu 03-Jan-13 14:25:00

Oh wow! kittylester

kittylester Thu 03-Jan-13 14:43:27

Actually, it was Englebert who worked for my Dad. grin

I never met him jingle but Dad kept complaining about the layabout who sang all day and did nothing else.

soop Thu 03-Jan-13 15:35:47

kitty Back in the early sixties, I worked with someone who travelled from Leicestershire to Northampton. He told me that he would sometimes meet EH on the train. EH used to say...One day, I shall be famous. Admire the positive attitude.

Nanado Thu 03-Jan-13 16:44:08

Wasn't Engelbert originally Gerry Dorsey?

soop Thu 03-Jan-13 17:00:48

Yes, Nanado...smile

crimson Thu 03-Jan-13 17:05:46

I thought that was Gerry from The Pacemakers but he was Gerry Marsden and they used to be called Gerry and The Mars Bars [I kid you not]...