Gransnet forums

Chat

ROOM 101

(146 Posts)
specki4eyes Fri 11-Jan-13 22:19:49

Just watched this and thought what a rich seam it could be for us!

My choice for today would be young women who affect squeaky, little girl voices.

absent Fri 18-Jan-13 11:51:18

Mobile phones.

absent Fri 18-Jan-13 11:58:50

Smug women who, when asked a question, invariably answer for themselves and on their husbands' behalf at the same time "Well, we like to do x,y and z". Similarly, women who buy their husbands clothes for them. Such men resemble the poor put-upon Richard Bucket. Shove all such harridans down the chute into Room 101.

gillybob Fri 18-Jan-13 12:07:29

Hey watch it Absent I buy all my husbands clothes for him. Have no bloody choice or he would be walking around starkers ! The man won't set foot in a clothes shop and heaven forbid he had to try something on. grin

Anyway on the tiny chance that he would shop for himself i would dread to see what he would come out with !

jeni Fri 18-Jan-13 12:08:49

Mine was the same!

Butty Fri 18-Jan-13 12:19:51

As of this morning, I'd nominate to throw myself in!

As for buying my husband's clothes. Never. He can wear exactly what he wants, when he wants. So do I.

absent Fri 18-Jan-13 12:20:30

gillybob Perhaps I should have said women who choose to buy their husbands clothes for them and won't let said husbands choose stuff for themselves. I once knew a woman who not only bought all her husband's clothes and spoke on his behalf to the tailor while he was standing silently being measured, but also laid out his clothes for the morning – from underpants to tie – before she went to bed every night because she felt she knew best. He was a headmaster and, come to think of it, bore a striking resemblance to Richard Bucket.

gillybob Fri 18-Jan-13 12:41:00

Glad we cleared that up Absent grin. The sad thing is he is totally hopeless and finds it difficult to even put an outfit together if we are going out. He is fine during the day as he has his "work outfit" but can't seem to grasp what colours go with what.

I would never go so far as to lay his clothes out for him (no way) but offer gentle hints as to what he should or shouldn't wear. wink

Incidentally he bears no resemblance to Dick Bucket grin

Movedalot Fri 18-Jan-13 12:47:55

DS1 was meeting DH in the company of someone he considered importand and did ask me to dress him befor letting him out!

I would put men who addressed themselves as 'Mr .....' because I was always taught that it was wrong to give yourself a title. Different if you want to convey that you are a married/single woman though.

Brabant Fri 18-Jan-13 13:03:25

Oh dear, that is me my - long dead - parents will ever be Mummie and Daddie to me. Perhaps I can meet Boy George's dogs in room 101, I'd like that.

Brabant Fri 18-Jan-13 13:17:02

And my list?

Arrogant young men who cannot breathe without a phone clamped to their ears, even in public places.

Small minded beaurocrats, living in Germany they are a daily occurance.

Chewing gum because it makes pavements look as though they have a disease when spat out and left.

Most members of the UK royal family who seem to have forgotton manners and how to behave but expect to be treated as something special.

Newspapers that fill their pages with stories about the royal families throughout the world thus enhancing their foolish beliefs that they have a place in todays society whatever stupidity or vulgarity they commit.

Postal charges because the higher they go the less we write letters and the more we resort to E-mail

E-mail - although I use it a great deal - because we are never allowed thinking time to reply and the dammned thing clicks in wherever you are.

Out of season food which is flown in, thus destroying the ozone layer, and tastes like a cross between uncooked turnips and carboard. Why not eat strawberries in season: look forward to them, indulge in them, enjoy them and then wait patiently till the season comes round again?

Pathetic celebrities (B or C list) who publish their personal diet or exercise regimes. I assume they do this to make money which they then use to try and climb up a list, forgetting that it is talent and ability that really counts.

Probably grumpy old women like me........

PHM12 Fri 18-Jan-13 13:44:36

People ---- usually older ladies- who think they are the only people in the store with a trolley and block access to the fruit and vegetables.

People who flatly refuse to have anything to do with the Internet and then make me feel as if I am an upstart because i love it -I am 73

People who think its funny and make no allowances when some people have a hearing problem

Movedalot Fri 18-Jan-13 13:50:38

People who say 'at our age' to me!

j07 Fri 18-Jan-13 14:35:49

Shysal have you seen that your very funny comment about wire coathangers is featured on the "quote of the week" bit on the front page of Gransnet? smile

AnneMaria Fri 18-Jan-13 15:13:08

Fake trees and flowers. I really don't see why you would want a row of fake trees lining your path.

shysal Fri 18-Jan-13 15:15:58

I never look at the front page. Thanks jo7

jeni Fri 18-Jan-13 15:26:31

I can't find the front page on ipadconfused

shysal Fri 18-Jan-13 15:37:42

jeni, I discovered you have to touch the Gransnet banner picture . I always stay logged on and go straight to the forums.

agapanthus Fri 18-Jan-13 16:03:53

Well this has been v amusing, and having never heard of the programme 101 I see its on tonight at 8.30.Thanks GNers...I shall watch it especially as Ben Fogle is on it (but I bet he calls his parents Mummy and Daddy!!!)

jeni Fri 18-Jan-13 16:04:56

Thanks Shysal

agapanthus Fri 18-Jan-13 16:06:36

PS I haven't posted much before, and I see some people are a bit fussy about grammar etc. Please excuse mine if its not up to scratch....I'm a bit lazy about it when using a 'punter.

agapanthus Fri 18-Jan-13 16:07:00

That is 'puter.

Movedalot Fri 18-Jan-13 16:19:54

Aga I don't think many of us care whether you can spell, punctuate or are grammatical and those who de generally stick to Pedant's Corner and if they don't they jolly well should! grin

Ana Fri 18-Jan-13 16:21:35

You can always blame it on your iPad, Agapanthus, a lot of 'em do!
(Doesn't matter if you haven't got one...)

Nine Fri 18-Jan-13 16:28:29

People who park half on and half off the pavement so that you can't get by with the pushchair.
People in supermarkets who use their mobiles to phone home to ask which make/size of product - MAKE A DECISION!!
- that feels better - smile

Marelli Fri 18-Jan-13 16:32:40

susie - I had to laugh at that grin. Sorry!