Gransnet forums

Chat

ONE BILLION RISING. Will you give your support to women across the planet on 14 February?

(217 Posts)
whenim64 Sat 26-Jan-13 12:54:55

Starting a fresh thread to keep the momentum. We all know the horrifying accounts of women raped by gangs of men in India, and that rape is as common in all parts of the world and most cultures (in fact, no culture that is rape-free has been identified).

Please lend your support to this momentous plan for women to rise up and demand an end to violence at the hands of men, on 14 February.

One Billion Rising is publicised on he internet, and you can find what's happening near you by checking Facebook. It's growing daily, so please share this with your friends.

Butty Fri 15-Feb-13 07:28:46

ga Great photo!

Goose Fri 15-Feb-13 08:43:21

G'day all. I don't have tv or radio, so can't look it up myself....BUT was this (worldwide) event deemed important enough to be shown on the News in this country??? I've been told that it didn't feature on our local tv news round-up - if that is the case, well I'm gobsmacked, surely it warrants some publicity -or is it being ignored cos it's regarded as 'just a bunch of silly women prancing about and shoutingshock

whenim64 Fri 15-Feb-13 09:28:06

I saw Ruby Wax talking outide parliament on national TV but didn't notice if One Billion Risng was mentioned, as I walked into the room when I recognised her voice. I think there was a lot of competition from other news stories.

annodomini Fri 15-Feb-13 10:00:57

There was comprehensive coverage of the debate on Today in Parliament on Radio 4. But who listens to late night radio?

grannyactivist Fri 15-Feb-13 10:04:15

Watch Channel 4 here for coverage of OBR.

Butty Fri 15-Feb-13 10:11:05

That's good to hear there was a debate, anno - but I agree with you about late night radio. smile

goose - Pleased you had a good time in Oxford, and although I don't have the tv on much at all, I wasn't aware of this event being highlighted in any news programmes. Perhaps, as when says, there was too much competition on the day.

This event will continue to raise awareness I'm sure, and will become recognised, as an important International day of action.

whenim64 Fri 15-Feb-13 10:27:45

Well done Channel 4 for covering the event ouide parliament.

annodomini Fri 15-Feb-13 10:34:17

I didn't see Channel 4 news but watched the link this morning. That was excellent coverage.

Granny23 Fri 15-Feb-13 11:56:33

Was tied up yesterday with DGS's 6th Birthday Party and trying to catch up with news today. I have seen Zilzch about OBR or its positive message and loads about Oscar the sports star and Kevin from Corrie, complete with comments about the pressures of fame as mitigating factor. Very depressing sad

Marelli Fri 15-Feb-13 12:27:09

I agree with you there, Granny23. I have just watched the excellent Channel 4 news link put up by grannyactivist.
To consider the pressures of fame as a mitigating factor for abuse of any kind - depressing indeed. angry

JessM Fri 15-Feb-13 14:53:35

My MP replied today. Didnt get to debate but wants to visit school. Unfortunately star nurse has just resigned, damn.

absent Fri 15-Feb-13 19:04:18

I know that we don't seem to have a lot of male Gransnetters theses days, but most of those we do have seem to have been notable by their absence on this thread. Don't they have mothers, sisters, wives, daughters and granddaughters? Doesn't the statistic that 1 billion women have been the victims of rape and violence (rape is of course violence) across the world stick in their craw too?

whenim64 Sat 09-Mar-13 09:44:02

At last my MP has replied, and I am not happy with him - he started out working with the probation service and will know plenty about violence to women. Here's his reply:

Thankyou for your email regarding the One Billion Rising campaign.

Although I remain deeply concerned about the use of violence against women, I was unable to attend the recent debate; however you can read a transcript of it online at http;//tinyurl.com/croemjh

I will continue to pay close attention to this important issue but please do not hesitate to contact me if you feel that I can help you with this or any other matter.

Yours sincerely
Paul Goggins

whenim64 Sat 09-Mar-13 09:50:04

I tried the link given in the letter to me and can't get it to work.

Did find this interesting piece from the 'For Our Daughters' website:

forourdaughters.co.uk/index.php/one-billion-rising-party-leaders-ignore-debate-on-violence-against-women/

whenim64 Sat 09-Mar-13 09:56:16

Here's the transcript, which you have to scroll down a long way past oter business before you get the debate:

www.publications.parliament.uk/pa/cm201213/cmhansrd/cm130214/debtext/130214-0002.htm

whenim64 Sat 09-Mar-13 10:13:38

The transcript is very long-winded, but here is the outcome of part of the debate, regarding education about sex and relationships:

Fiona Mactaggart: I will be brief, Mr Deputy Speaker. I want to thank everybody who has contributed; it has been an excellent debate. I am grateful to hon. Members for pointing out that sex and relationships education based on zero tolerance to violence might be part of the solution. However, it is by no means all of the solution. We have had many excellent contributions about the other issues that need to be taken on board to bring to an end to violence against women and girls—we need to bring this violence to an end. We have made progress on some of these issues. We have to make practical progress now, and that is why I tabled this motion.

I want us to vote on the motion, because we have heard one voice against it, and I will speak to the hon. Member for Shipley (Philip Davies). In my political life, I have campaigned strongly for all victims of violence. In the past year, 109 women have been murdered by the people they loved. Domestic violence, the violence we have talked about in this debate, and the control that goes on inside ostensibly loving relationships, terrorises all of women. That is why this is a specific issue, and that is why we need to deal with it. Unless we can teach young men and young women that wherever we go, however we dress, no means no and yes means yes, we will not have a society in which women are safe.

Question put and agreed to.

Resolved,

That this House notes the One Billion Rising Campaign, and the call to end violence against women and girls; and calls on the Government to support this by introducing statutory provisions to make personal, social and health education, including a zero tolerance approach to violence and abuse in relationships, a requirement in schools.