Gransnet forums

Chat

I Love Trees

(39 Posts)
dorsetpennt Tue 05-Mar-13 09:22:06

I live in an 'avenue' which as the name implies is a road lined with trees. Sounds nice. Its an almost an avenue as the local Council keeps pollarding the trees. I agree that there must be some management of the trees so that they don't block the road or scratch cars - not my reasoning by the way - it's nearly spring and there are bunch of guys outside hell-bent on attacking the tree outside my house.
This seaside town is known for it's pines and tree lined roads - one of the reasons I live here. Yet I've had a few battles with neighbours who have wanted to chop down the trees in the back. One actually said she hated trees - why move here then? say I. It's fine to trim back the lower branches but they don't block out the sun and we have a wealth of birds etc because of them. If you must trim get a bona fide tree surgeon who knows what he's doing. I managed to get a tree lover from our local council to list our trees ,so that now the tree haters have to ask for permission and trim properly.
My idea of hell is to live on one of those treeless estates that proliferate on the outskirts of many towns and cities.

Butty Tue 05-Mar-13 21:05:29

Grannylin We're all converted out. Don't think there's another conversion in us, unfortunately. Devon however sounds lovely. smile

york46 Tue 05-Mar-13 22:06:41

My idea of heaven would be to have a garden with a spreading tree in it so that I could sit in its shade on a sunny warm day! We have just shrubs on our chalky soil and no shade at all.

NfkDumpling Tue 05-Mar-13 22:32:38

I love trees, but when we moved to our present house there were two large trees within 20 feet of the house - a Scots pine overshadowed by a Macracarpa - with preservation orders on them. We were assured by the tree office there would be no problem getting rid of the Macracarpa - height 70 feet - mature height 120 feet min. He lied and turned down permission to fell. (It turned out the multi trunked tree was in fact 4 trees planted 2 feet apart.) We appealed. A professor came from Camcridge to here in North Norfolk. His recommendation then went to the Secretary of State's office and eventually the permission came through. Plus felling the cost was £4000.
We now have a lopsided but loved Scots Pine whispering away in the front garden. Luckily it leans away from the house.
Lesson - trees are wonderful in the right place. A small suburban front garden isn't the place.

nanaej Tue 05-Mar-13 23:12:13

We had one giant fir tree when we moved in 18 months ago. It was not very attractive and dominated our odd shaped garden so I had it removed. my neighbour came round and was delighted as she now had sunshine in her living room! I have replaced the loss with 2 x cherries, a rowan and an apple tree and a peach tree too! The garden is wide but not very deep so big trees, which I like, are not suitable..though I could be tempted by a silver birch...

PRINTMISS Wed 06-Mar-13 08:30:44

I just cannot understand people who dislike trees - I know they some have very bad habits, like harbouring insects (for the birds of course!) and spreading roots causing damage, but they give us so much pleasure and the gentle sound of the breeze whispering through the leaves is lovely, plus the glorious colours in autumn.

annodomini Wed 06-Mar-13 08:54:05

The bare skeleton trees in winter have a beauty quite apart from their summer leafiness. I can't quite explain why I find a lone oak, shorn of its foliage, to be just as majestic as it is in high summer.

BAnanas Wed 06-Mar-13 09:03:00

annodomini agree about the bare skeletons of trees in winter they do have a beauty all of their own. Also agree with PRINTMISS is there a more glorious time for colour in trees than autumn, I remember some wonderful days out when the trees looked particularly lovely back in October.

dorsetpennt Wed 06-Mar-13 09:12:25

Pogs the rhododendrons are not quite out yet but their buds are - a walk I do along the west cliff towards the top of the cliffs is surrounded with them - the local council have put them just above weeds I'm afraid. Exbury Gardens near Southampton, near the New Forest is a wonderful sight with rhods and azaelas in the spring.
BAnanas I live on the West Cliff all part of the area you know and you're right it is wooded - we are famous for our pines.
Dorset is full of lovely woods and old, old trees like oaks - heaven for me!

BAnanas Wed 06-Mar-13 09:34:50

dorsetpennt - Jealous! I love that area. Beaches second only to Malibu where I was lucky enough to go a few years ago. Truly I'm not being facetious.

Grandmanorm Wed 06-Mar-13 10:34:18

I love trees. I have asked my family to plant a tree (or trees) for me when I die, instead of buying flowers. We have many trees in our garden, in particular, two rowans which ward of witches!!!

gulligranny Wed 06-Mar-13 14:01:12

We are lucky enough to have a (listed) ancient beech tree in our garden. When we moved in 3 years ago and found that there were no blinds on the velox windows in our bedroom we were horrified - but within a week we swore we'd never have blinds, and one of the great pleasures of life is to lie in bed watching our tree. It's wonderful in all seasons but perhaps winter is my favourite because on clear nights the tree has stars caught in its branches ...

NfkDumpling Wed 06-Mar-13 17:35:18

I miss our velux windows they were perfect for star gazing.

I should have added to my last post that as the four trees were 'preserved' we had to replace them. It was decreed that 2 yews and 2 ilex would suffice. So we have planted a rowan (worked this Halloween) 3 hollies, a lilac and a holm oak in the front garden, 2 irish yews, a Cyprus (grown from a cone brought home from Spartahori), a winter flowering almond and an olive in the back where it was impossible to grow anything because of those bloody great trees.

POGS Wed 06-Mar-13 19:39:07

Dorset

Lovely. We will be 'down' to lovely Weymouth in May so hopefully will be just right. smile