Gransnet forums

Chat

Money can be a curse

(108 Posts)
petra Mon 25-Mar-13 15:56:02

By this I mean: if I didn't have any money I wouldn't be in the situation that I am now of one DD accusing me of giving more to the other DD.
This is totally untrue. The trouble is, the accuser is in a bad way with her health and her love life and she wants to lash out at someone.
I wish I had had a warning, then I could have put the crash helmet on LOL.

soop Fri 29-Mar-13 16:39:42

Ejoy being with your family, Frank I look forward to hearing that your latest grandchild has joined the clan. Would be lovely to be an Easter babe. smile

Galen Fri 29-Mar-13 11:51:00

He does talk about his dog occasionally. Oh and also unwanted trees

HUNTERF Fri 29-Mar-13 10:24:55

absent

To me it does not matter as long as I don't get any more hustle from my father's ex's supporters.
My experience may be used to illustrate the pitfalls of care fees and second wives / husbands in the future.

My granddaughters are on the way now so I am unlikely to come in to Gransnet for a few hours.

Oh I am wrong. They have just arrived.

Frank

absent Fri 29-Mar-13 10:10:25

Does it matter now?

HUNTERF Fri 29-Mar-13 10:07:37

Movedalot

You are totally correct.
I think however there are a lot of people about who think if a person gets married again and the son / daughter owns half the house through inheritance from the mother the son / daughter loses that half of the house to the second wife which is incorrect.
Also as I have said before even if my father had willed his half to a new wife I am not sure what would have happened because it said in the land certificate the house could not be sold, transferred or charged without the consent of all owners.
I am not sure if the will would have taken priority or the land certificate clause.

Frank

Movedalot Fri 29-Mar-13 09:40:30

On a serious point, if you marry after you have written your will siad will becomes invalid. If you want to leave your property to someone other than the new spouse you do need to make another will after the marriage.

HUNTERF Fri 29-Mar-13 09:38:09

Hi shysal

There have been no problems with the previous babies but my daughter is having the baby in hospital.
She must have confidence in the hospital as she works there.
When she was in a private hospital once for 5 days she said it was difficult to forget she was not at work and she was almost tempted to help the staff.

Frank

shysal Fri 29-Mar-13 09:17:40

Frank, do you have any other topics of conversation? What do you talk about with your grandchildren? I hope you can be humourous sometimes, but I have seen no evidence on here. Do you understand any of the amusing banter which goes on around your posts? If you have a sense of humour perhaps you could demonstrate it by joining in sometimes!
I look forward to hearing about the new baby with no mention of money. I hope all goes well. sunshine

HUNTERF Fri 29-Mar-13 09:15:22

Oldgreymare

I think the present members of Gransnet are.
New members will however arrive and may want advice and I am sure there will be existing Gransnetters who have not looked at my posts.
Unfortunately I don't think people take interest in things like care home fees or wills until they are affected by them.

Frank

Oldgreymare Fri 29-Mar-13 09:11:06

Frank Consider everyone sufficiently warned! smile

HUNTERF Fri 29-Mar-13 08:44:15

Bags

I bring this up as a result of other people's posts to warn them of possible complications.

Frank

Bags Fri 29-Mar-13 08:28:07

If she is dead and you now own the whole house, why do you keep banging on about it, frank? Take up a new hobby.

HUNTERF Fri 29-Mar-13 08:21:38

The main thing is the woman left when Dad said I was not leaving and she got no title to the property.
I did have months of hassle from people who thought she should have had the house but as I have said this has mainly frizzled out and the woman is now dead.

Frank

HUNTERF Fri 29-Mar-13 08:17:03

Bags

As absent said if he had bought a wife in to the house things may have been very uncomfortable had she lived there.
In theory Dad could have willed his half of the house to the new wife but again there could have been problems if Dad passed away and she was living in the house.
In any case further problems re the ownership could have happened.
The land certificates states the house could not be sold, transferred, or any charge given over it without the consent of all owners. I don't know what would have happened if Dad had willed his half to her as I would have not given the consent for the transfer.
Possibly the matter would have finished up in court.

Frank

Bags Fri 29-Mar-13 08:15:33

Yes, it's sad, isn't it? Poor Frank.

absent Fri 29-Mar-13 08:08:27

Bags That was what I trying to explain, but it's banging the head against a brick wall again. I am very tired of hearing about that house and those wills. I think I shall just give it all a wide berth every time it crops up again in the future – which I have absolutely no doubt it will ad nauseum.

Bags Fri 29-Mar-13 07:59:42

You know, it really was his 'total' home, frank, because he didn't have any other. His not 'owning' it outright is irrelevant to his living there for the rest of his life if he chose to, and to bringing his friends into it. Similarly, you could have brought a friend to live with you. In neither case would the friend have any automatic right to the house.

HUNTERF Fri 29-Mar-13 07:49:58

In summery wills are a minefield and as I have said you can not cater for every possible eventuality.

Frank

HUNTERF Fri 29-Mar-13 07:47:47

absent

What happened was as I said my mother left half the house to me so legally it was not his total home after Mum passed away.
Dad wanted me to return and my house in London was sold, we kept the best furniture, my daughters had some of the furniture and the surplus was given to a charity.
If Dad had re married I would have probably been forced in to a position of having to get another home and having to buy new furniture etc.
Also I had spent £50,000 on repairs / improvements to what was then our jointly owned home and another £20,000 when the woman was there.
Obviously if Dad had wanted me to go I would have been claiming my half share of the house, the £70,000 money spent on improvements etc and possibly compensation for the furniture.
In any case I had a legal right to live in the house and the position would have indeed been very uncomfortable.
Dad could have gone and lived in her house which was worth about £180,000.
I never asked what the position was re the ownership.
It may possibly have been half owned by her sons.

Frank

absent Fri 29-Mar-13 07:14:50

Enviousamerican Pre-nuptial agreements have no legal standing in the UK, although they are beginning to be taken into account in some divorce cases.

Round and round we go. HUNTERF I think your father would have had every right to remarry and bring his wife, the person you have referred to as a woman, into his own home, even though you owned half of it. Clearly, your unwillingness to embrace such a possibility may explain much and would certainly have made life very uncomfortable for him and for her.

HUNTERF Fri 29-Mar-13 07:03:07

Enviousamerican

A pre Nuptial agreement is possible.
A problem could arise if say a women sells her house and goes to live in a house belonging to a man say jointly owned with 1 of the offspring.
If say the marriage lasts 15 years and the man dies houses could have risen drastically in price during that time and she may not be able to buy another house even if she had invested all her house money.
Another way round it is an agreement could be made where the children would inherit all of the house on the proviso the woman is allowed to live in it for the rest of her life.
Again problems could arise if say the woman wants to get married again and bring a new possibly younger man in to the house.
I don't think many offspring would agree to let him stay in the house if say the woman pre deceases him.
Obviously my father could have not got married and bought a woman in to the house as I half owned it and was living in it.

Frank

Enviousamerican Thu 28-Mar-13 23:53:19

Could we solve this problem with a pre Nuptial agreement or don't they have those?Wouldnt that be legally binding? it would state my spouse has no right to the family home,she has her own money and support.

HUNTERF Thu 28-Mar-13 23:23:39

gracesmum

You said ''But surely the people who matter are the couple in question. I do not think adult children have any call on property unless their parents so wish it. For heaven's sake - what does growing up mean if it doesn't entail standing on your own 2 feet?''.

I was just illustrating that the children could have a claim on the property and this could cause a problem for a potential marriage.

Frank

gracesmum Thu 28-Mar-13 23:21:36

And clearly unforgettable grin
Move on!

HUNTERF Thu 28-Mar-13 23:19:49

Ana

I did not have a fight. Dad split with his ex.
Its just the fact she tried to claim the property 3 years later was stupid.

Frank