Gransnet forums

Chat

Was Easter warmer when we were children?

(34 Posts)
glassortwo Fri 29-Mar-13 20:36:12

Did anyone else get a new cotton dress, cardigan and Clarks crepe soled sandles for Easter Sunday, was it warmer then or were we made of harder stuff? grin

nanaej Fri 29-Mar-13 20:43:42

Harder stuff..but yes those sandals! have been looking for them for DGD but no longer available. Startrite do similar but at £45!!

ginny Fri 29-Mar-13 20:46:15

I think the weather varied then as it does now. Yes, always a new dress and sandals. We didn't have all the central heating and were outside playing so much more so probably we didn't notice the cold so much.When you are used to the net cutains being frozen to the inside of the windows anything seems warmer. smile

Mishap Fri 29-Mar-13 20:47:10

I do think Easter was warmer when I was little and indeed when my children were little.

I can't wait for aome sun so I can go for a walk/hobble!!

glassortwo Fri 29-Mar-13 20:50:01

My Mum would spend weeks knitting all three of us new cardigans to match our dresses.

nanaej Fri 29-Mar-13 20:53:47

My DD2 has a mid- April birthday and i remember worrying in the wet /cold week or so leading up to her party hoping the weather would be OK..and it always was! Have photos of garden based parties from Aprils in the 1980s!

Ana Fri 29-Mar-13 21:28:04

Central heating, ginny? You're absolutely right we didn't all have it - we didn't until about 1965! grin

shysal Fri 29-Mar-13 21:37:30

I can remember eating many an Easter Sunday lunch in the garden, in the past and more recently. It was certainly hot around this time last year.
How I hated those sandals, preferred bare feet whenever possible, still do!

glammanana Fri 29-Mar-13 21:38:37

nanaej have you tried buckskins they do nice white leather sandles I used to get them for DGD until a couple of years ago when she outgrew the style.I think we never felt the cold when we where young and where determined to wear our new frocks weither we where cold or not,just to show off our new toggs.smile we always had ribbons made to match our dresses and mum had sewn ribbons onto our socks.

glassortwo Fri 29-Mar-13 21:43:35

glamma my hair was always short (think basin cut) so no ribbons.
We were used to the inside of the windows freezing and I cant remember feeling especially cold.

Granny23 Fri 29-Mar-13 21:48:11

Yes I remember it well. Also new white ankle socks. Ribbons for my curly haired sister but none for me - they simply slid out of my poker straight hair. I also remember fondly the hard sugar eggs with a peep hole and a scene inside which father's cousin sent from the USA year after year - anyone else remember these?

ginny Fri 29-Mar-13 21:52:34

Ana... 1965 ? No central heating for me until I was married in 1976. My parents didn't have a it until 1987.

Ana Fri 29-Mar-13 21:56:14

Quite! I was just surprised that anyone had central heating in the 50s when I was a child - but you may be younger than me! smile

Sook Fri 29-Mar-13 22:07:32

Remember the sandals. Always got a new dress and was forced to wear layered net petticoats underneath it to make it stick out. They were itchy and scratchy and when I sat down they would leave patterns on my legs.

My mother despaired of my long thick hair, so I had to wear it up in a bun. This was sheer torture and involved lots of battles which ended up with me getting my legs slapped.

Easter always seemed sunny and warm although I'm sure it wasn't.

Galen Fri 29-Mar-13 22:12:03

I remember having toast and marmalade one Easter Sunday that we were eating in my fathers waiting room. It doubled as our dining room out of surgery hours.
I lost my two upper incisors on the toast!
I've never eaten marmalade since!

Galen Fri 29-Mar-13 22:12:56

I remember that day as cold!

Flowerofthewest Fri 29-Mar-13 22:21:13

Easter was warmer LAST YEAR - never mind when we were young. I had an Easter Egg Hunt in the garden in the sun. I am sure. Maybe false memory.

I too always had a new dress and sandals. One Easter a mauve duster coat and my sister a pale yellow one.

I used to go to Woolies in Wisbech (we always spent Easter in Wisbech with my father's family) and bought large chocolate eggs with sugar flowers on. No extravagant boxes, just cellophane.

nanaej Fri 29-Mar-13 22:23:31

glamma tried to google but nothing came up!

Elegran Fri 29-Mar-13 22:34:11

Easter is early this year. Could that be something to do with it?

harrigran Fri 29-Mar-13 22:59:02

I remember the sugar eggs with the peephole and scene, they were lovely.
New dress and sandals with crepe soles because we had to be smart for church on Good Friday and Easter Sunday. I am sure I had cream lace gloves too.

Hunt Fri 29-Mar-13 23:19:22

I remember an Easter wedding ,very windy. The next day we had four inches of snow but it had all melted by lunchtime. Another Easter we were on our narrowboat and woke up to inches of snow. We had to dig ourselves out with a dustpan! I think the diference with the snow this year is that it isn't going! When we were very young my sister and I always had a new straw hat for Easter .I can remember one with cornflowers and red poppies and my sister had a straw bonnet with ruched blue ribbon inside the brim and lilies of the valley to decorate the edge of the crown.

Bags Sat 30-Mar-13 06:50:26

Used to go back to the grammar school in our summer uniform. I remember often feeling cold for the first few weeks of the summer term. And then it was back to winter uniform in September and often feeling too hot.

"Ne'er cast a clout till May be out". People understood the seasons better in the past.

absent Sat 30-Mar-13 07:15:47

As the date of Easter varies, so almost inevitably does the weather. I can remember my mother telling me how, as a young woman, she always bought a new dress, shoes, hat and gloves for Easter but sometimes it was far too cold or wet to be able to wear them.

Granny23 I was given one of those sugar eggs and kept it untouched for several years. It eventually went brown and started to disintegrate. The scene inside the peephole was one with rabbits. I thought it was utterly wonderful.

Bags Sat 30-Mar-13 07:34:45

Even if the date of Easter didn't vary, the weather still would. Variable weather is what we get all the time.

JessM Sat 30-Mar-13 07:53:22

Last year, the last week of March was so warm people were sunbathing.
This year we are getting some chilly air from NE Europe, bearing smuts from their coal fired power stations. Makes you wonder why people plan easter weddings but it used to be the end of the tax year thing hmm
CH did exist but not gas CH as that came after NS gas didn't it.
Coal boilers. The footman used to have to roll up his sleeves and stoke ours several times a day in severe weather I seem to recall. grin
Keep cosy everyone.