Gransnet forums

Chat

Are we older, wiser and nicer than Mumsnet?

(56 Posts)
Sel Thu 11-Apr-13 10:04:28

Amanda Holden gave her views on Mumsnet last weekend, here's another.

I do hear echoes on some of the comments made on Gransnet. Maybe it's just a female thing.

[[ http://www.dailymail.co.uk/femail/article-2307129/Amanda-Holden--Shona-Sibary-Why-I-hate-smug-bullies-Mumsnet.html]]

Sel Thu 11-Apr-13 10:07:54

www.dailymail.co.uk/femail/article-2307129/Amanda-Holden--Shona-Sibary-Why-I-hate-smug-bullies-Mumsnet.html

glassortwo Thu 11-Apr-13 10:09:23

amanda holden

Just off to read it.

Sel Thu 11-Apr-13 10:17:32

glass now you've got your browser sorted grin

j08 Thu 11-Apr-13 10:18:53

shock shock shock

I don't understand why they don't moderate more. Do the want another Gina Ford debacle?!

Yep! Flower of British womanhood on Mumsnet. hmm

j08 Thu 11-Apr-13 10:19:46

they not the

NextStopWaverley Thu 11-Apr-13 10:21:28

How did they know who she was ? If she had stayed anonymous behind a user-name they could not have criticised her face, husband and work.

Gransnet is not as feral as Mumsnet. Occasional spats, yes, but not the infighting and free-for-all insults that go on there. Later generations are more prone to say exactly what they are want, without weighing up the power of their weapons first.

In some ways that is good,freeing up the impulsive praise and support that makes the recipient stronger, but firing a virtual nuclear bomb at someone as a first reaction is a little extreme.

glassortwo Thu 11-Apr-13 10:26:55

sel yes all sorted thank you. smile

I think we have mellowed and dont feel the need to be so attacking in our posts, or is it that we are past the stage of worrying what other people think? grin

Ana Thu 11-Apr-13 10:28:11

She's a journalist, NextStopWaverley. The Mumsnetters had been discussing her before she joined - it's rather like the Gransnet thread about Liz Jones.

kittylester Thu 11-Apr-13 11:45:57

I think we are less judgemental, probably because we've had more life experiences. We do have spats and some people have really entrenched political views but we are able to put that aside and be supportive first and foremost. I have had so much support lately from so many people and that is rhe huge strength of gransnet

Bags Thu 11-Apr-13 11:52:05

I think mumsnet has that strength too, kitty.

ninny Thu 11-Apr-13 13:13:20

I feel some posters are very condescending on the political and news threads.

Nelliemoser Thu 11-Apr-13 19:49:43

Very much so! No question of it. wink

cathy Thu 11-Apr-13 20:21:01

Had a look at Mumsnet and found it quite aggressive in its nature.

I surely do not understand how they find the time to be on the internet so much, as when my DS was little there certainly was not too much time to fiddle.

baubles Thu 11-Apr-13 20:58:54

My first couple of forays into Mumsnet left me rather bemused. I didn't like the tone of the threads I looked at, however I've read a few lately that have had me literally laughing out loud. There is also genuine concern and support for people in emotional turmoil.

I've changed my opinion about it and I've learned a thing or two grin

I particularly like the expression 'cat's bum mouth', I know someone who regularly does that. We ought to have an emoticon for it. smile

Bags Fri 12-Apr-13 07:10:50

This is what mumsnet is really like

annodomini Fri 12-Apr-13 07:35:31

Interesting, Bags. Quite a lot of what she says could apply to Gransnet too.

MrsJamJam Fri 12-Apr-13 08:02:08

I have found that some of the younger generation fire off hurtful comments into the ether without enough thought. When we wrote letters, there was time to reconsider before actually committing them to the post box and some therefore never got sent. DH and I have learnt the hard way to not respond to some of DDs emails - if we responded in kind the family would never recover.

Nelliemoser Fri 12-Apr-13 09:42:13

My thoughts about the mumsnet thing as well "anno".

I think the younger uses of social media are probably less polite than our generation.

I am disgusted by the anonymous nasty trolling that goes on say on Youtube, but I suppose there were always "saddos" who sent poison pen letters. Its just quicker, easier and cheaper with t'internet.

bluebell Fri 12-Apr-13 10:34:04

Bags - a great link. But about the press and attitudes to women spot on!! And yes if you want to see vile, really vile comments, look at those on the DM - but I expect there are others as well

baubles Fri 12-Apr-13 19:48:13

this is a lovely thread from Mumsnet

Butty Fri 12-Apr-13 19:54:44

What a heartwarming thread from Mumsnet, baubles. I love postcards too.
A great link and one that highlights thoughtfulness and kindness. smile

johanna Fri 12-Apr-13 20:06:30

Older, wiser AND nicer than Mumsnet?

Well , reading the Maggie Thatcher threads , perhaps not.

They ( the threads ) give the impression of a load of over fifties full of rancour.

bluebell Fri 12-Apr-13 20:25:53

Ooohhhhh - is it a competition? Full of rancour = doesn't agree with me !!!

Ana Fri 12-Apr-13 20:29:52

Childish comment.