Gransnet forums

Chat

Bets are being taken on possible names for William and Kate's baby!!!

(62 Posts)
soop Thu 11-Apr-13 12:46:07

Can we leave Margaret Thatcher in peace for a wee while, please?

Gally Thu 11-Apr-13 18:28:30

yes! (Georgiana actually......)

gillybob Thu 11-Apr-13 18:32:15

Oh I see ( silly me) I thought that was a name you just thought of off the top of your head to stop them referring to your baby as "it" .

Blimey I am dumb sometimes.

I do love the name Georgie sort of sophisticated, ladylike and tomboyish at the same time. smile

Nelliemoser Thu 11-Apr-13 18:35:48

Some more suggestions to bring the Royals into the 21st century!
( Says nellieM whose DGS is biblical.)

These are all cut and pasted in I hasten to add.
Hipster girl names

It seems like all of the hipster celebrities are naming their kids vintage names. One of the hottest girl names of the year is Pearl. Kings of Leon frontman Caleb Followill and Lil Aldridge named their daughter Dixie Pearl, while Marchesa designer Georgina Chapman named her daughter India Pearl.

Olive is another buzzworthy girl name of the year, with Drew Barrymore, Isla Fisher and country singer Jake Owen all choosing this cute name.

Here are more cool hipster girl names we predict will be hot in 2013:

India Dixie Clementine Penelope Matilda (or Maud) Eloise Cora
Scarlett Quinn Odette

Edgy, modern boy names

For boys, we predict the hottest names of the year will be edgy and modern. For instance, the futuristic names Zaiden and Nico are climbing the charts. Gwen Stefani named her son the cool, edgy name Zuma, while January Jones and Robert Downey Jr. both named their sons the “X” names of Xander and Exton.

Check out more cool boy names of the year:

Hawkins Ryker Kannon Brooks Jace
Knox Ronan Duke Slade Acer

Can you imagine Prince Kannon or Ryker.
Princess Quinn or Cora.
More traditonal? I don't like Charles. Richard? Henry? Louis is too foreign. There have been a lot of Prince Arthurs over the years none of whom have survived to be king. That would be a bad omen.
Perhaps another George. The last one ended up being very popular.

I like the name Alexandra. that would work for a Queen. Katherine, Anne? Mary? they chopped off the head of a few queen Mary's! Elizabeth would do pretty well again.
I am not sure if the law to allow any gender of first born to be in line for the throne has been enacted yet, or will be by the time this sprog has been born. Does anyone know or care. ?King Diezzal Queen Chardonnay?

grin

Ana Thu 11-Apr-13 18:39:01

I believe the legislation will be retrospective, Nellie, so that whatever sex the baby is, it will be the next in line after William.

gillybob Thu 11-Apr-13 18:42:21

Isn't pearl a singer nelliemoser ? That would be too common.

Olive is her from on the buses isn't it?

What about those nice boys from One Direction? Zayne, Niall, Louis, Liam and oooops Harry? Could name him after uncle Harry.

LullyDully Thu 11-Apr-13 18:45:23

I remember being cross when 2 years after my William was born, calling her baby the same name. Especially as DS1 was called Charlie!!!

If Ivy, Henry, Edward are fashionable again, when are Susan, Margaret,Janet, Patricia, Gillian etc coming back!!!!? { my class was full of them }

gillybob Thu 11-Apr-13 18:48:15

Never I hope LullyDully I hate my name and wouldn't want any more poor kids to be saddled with it. Can still hear my English teacher Jilllllleeeeeeaaaaannne...

Nonny Thu 11-Apr-13 18:59:19

Margaret may be popular again now.

gillybob Thu 11-Apr-13 19:02:17

You have got to be joking Nonny oh sorry I get it, you were. grin

merlotgran Thu 11-Apr-13 19:04:49

Hey, Nonny NO! Are we not all Margaretted out on here? shock

Nonny Thu 11-Apr-13 19:06:13

It does offer lots of shortened names and my mum is Peggy!

Ana Thu 11-Apr-13 19:07:04

merlot! grin

Gorki Thu 11-Apr-13 19:09:31

What about Williamina-?-a good old Scottish name I believe.

Nelliemoser Thu 11-Apr-13 19:41:42

lullyd My class had all those names as well! It was the babyboomer effect.

*GillyB" was your teacher always shouting at you for playing on GRANSNET instead of getting on with your work!

ana Thanks for that I wasn't sure.

Gally Thu 11-Apr-13 23:28:18

Zane, Cody, Cory, Tully, Mason, Fletcher, Murphy, Nelson, Tyler, Phoenix, Indie - just a few of my DGS's pals in Oz. I could go on but it's a bit painful wink
Hope they go for something like Alice or Arthur - I'm just a bit old hat when it comes to names..........

Gally Thu 11-Apr-13 23:30:25

Gillybob grin

Gally Sat 13-Apr-13 10:44:35

Talking of names - I've just read a birth announcement in a certain paper
'a son Biggles and a daughter Posie, bro and sis for Tuppence'. More ideas for Kate and Wills? grin

annodomini Sat 13-Apr-13 10:52:05

Gally grin

Maggiemaybe Sat 13-Apr-13 11:28:36

As a Margaret (officially), I sincerely hope it'll never be coming back! smile

Still, as you say Nonny, there are loads of short forms - one site says 97. Some are quite trendy now - Maggie (but of course), Meg, Peggy, Daisy, Maisie, Pearl... Who knows, even Madge might make a comeback one day.

For the Royal baby, I like Matilda - our first female ruler, usurped due to rampant sexism and never mentioned in the list of monarchs. Typical.

Galen Sat 13-Apr-13 11:39:17

If its a girl how about Ethelfleda. A boy Arthur

absent Sat 13-Apr-13 12:09:33

Galen Arthur is one Prince Charles's names – Charles Phillip Arthur George – although I have a feeling that Lady Diana Spencer said them in the wrong order at their wedding.

Maggiemaybe Norman royals on an English throne, whether Maud (Empress Matilda) or Stephen and Matilda (his wife). Not really our first female ruler in an inclusive way.

Galen Sat 13-Apr-13 12:18:26

Hilda after Hilda of Whitby? A very powerful lady!

Nelliemoser Sat 13-Apr-13 12:20:50

Tuppence! That is used as a euphemism for a vagina!

Child cruelty! IMO wink

Nelliemoser Sat 13-Apr-13 12:22:59

I think at last two Prince Arthurs have died in childhood. Henry Vllls older brother for one.

Galen Sat 13-Apr-13 12:29:04

Wasn't the other murdered by John?