Gransnet forums

Chat

Do you like pootling?

(66 Posts)
Greatnan Tue 16-Apr-13 18:28:08

By which I mean sauntering round a new town or village, just looking!
Today I found a little village in France which is not famous or touristy, but you entered under an arch that was part of the ramparts, and the main street was lined with lovely Belle Epoch houses, very tall, with high windows, shutters, and little Juliet balconies in wrought iron. There was no shop, just a good-looking restaurant, a mairie and a post office. The church seemed small from the front, but when I got round the back I realised it was built on the very edge of a ravine, and the rear of the building plunged down about 100'. I spent a happy thirty minutes just wandering up and down.
But, of course, pootling is not real exercise, so I left the village and took a two hour round journey which included a very, very steep climb. This entitles me to a glass of wine with my dinner, and some strawberries and ice cream afterwards. It was so good to be out in the sunshine, even though there was still some snow on the higher peaks.

Oldgreymare Sun 21-Apr-13 23:04:48

Go Greatnan!

Greatnan Sun 21-Apr-13 23:04:00

I have to admit that I do look for adventures, going off the marked paths and up precipitous slopes - which is why my daughter wants me in NZ so she can keep an eye on me. (I will slip away, though!)

Oldgreymare Sun 21-Apr-13 22:44:14

Greatnan that sounds more like an adventure, a BIG adventure envy

Greatnan Sat 20-Apr-13 06:51:22

I have promised not to take her up any more unmade dirt roads with big drops at the side. (Wimp!)

MiceElf Sat 20-Apr-13 06:48:55

We'll expect some good postcards from the edge! And no tumbling down any ravines.

Greatnan Sat 20-Apr-13 06:44:47

You can come and pootle round the Alps with me! Anno will tell you there are some good pootles in Annecy and Chamonix! When she comes next week, we are going to pootle round Aosta in Northern Italy too.

MiceElf Sat 20-Apr-13 06:43:21

Trouble is, I couldn't pootle for the many hours it would take for me to get there. Boo.

MiceElf Sat 20-Apr-13 06:41:57

Can I come?

Greatnan Sat 20-Apr-13 06:29:50

OGM - sounds fun, but it is not pootling because it is not aimless!

Ariadne Sat 20-Apr-13 03:54:26

GillieB I'm in North Devon - in Bideford - whereabouts do you hope to visit? PM me if you fancy a meet up! smile

Oldgreymare Fri 19-Apr-13 23:44:32

Lallygagging..... thats what a smalll group of us do, but there are rules:
1. duty driver
2. navigator with large map book
3. 3 places must be visited (garden, NT property etc)
4. a delicate lunch with wine (except for the duty driver) tea/coffee stops
Result: 4 very happy lallygaggers!

GillieB Thu 18-Apr-13 21:01:41

Thanks, Greatnan - really looking forward to it.

Greatnan Thu 18-Apr-13 18:12:21

Devon is wonderful pootling country, with lovely little villages and historic towns. You will have a great time!

GillieB Thu 18-Apr-13 18:10:37

Wel,l I guess we will be doing lots of pootling next week as we are off to north Devon tomorrow. DD, who recommended where we are staying, says there are lots of lovely little towns and villages to visit, so I think we will definitely be having a pootle. I just hope the weather is better (and warmer) than here in the north east. I need some sunshine.

FlicketyB Thu 18-Apr-13 16:17:01

Lunch is obligatory.

j08 Thu 18-Apr-13 16:07:34

And lunch. I hope. smile

FlicketyB Thu 18-Apr-13 16:00:26

DH loves a pootle, but not a mooch. He has also reminded me that in our family we also have an event known as 'going for a jaunt'.

A jaunt is a little more focussed than a pootle. It usually involves a drive to some business destination such as: 'Lets have a jaunt to Hungerford, there is meant to be a good craft shop there'. When we reach the destination we pootle. The destination should never be a necessary visit, so DIY stores, clothes buying etc is excluded. In this household it usually involves junk shops, antiques centres, auction viewing days, and craft or sewing shops.

Ruth2ann Thu 18-Apr-13 15:02:26

Interesting when I think of mooching I immediately think of Minnie the Moocher who was a red hot hoocie coocher.......

Greatnan Thu 18-Apr-13 12:37:07

Nonu - I don't think you realise when you are being rude.

whenim64 Thu 18-Apr-13 12:04:44

I love to drive down unknown, inviting country roads, just to see where I end up. It's fun with one or two female friends, but I would never have attempted it with my ex or with male friends. They just don't get it. My BiL won't even stop for a coffee when mooching about garden centres or holiday villages.

As for women and the boon of having the right man. Nonu!! grin keep up girl - it's 2013 now. My single life is bliss without being encumbered, even by George Clooney, who would get on my wick after a few days of being my 'boon!' grin

Nonu Thu 18-Apr-13 10:54:59

Re-read it I said the^right man^grin

Nonu Thu 18-Apr-13 10:53:29

You do go on a bit Greatnangrin

Greatnan Wed 17-Apr-13 23:14:38

Nonu - you said the right man was the greatest boon a woman could have - that might be true for you, but not for everybody.

Cathy, I do have a lovely life, but I am not so sure about luck! It took a lot of hard work and planning to achieve the life I want. The luck comes in being very fit and healthy and that really is the greatest boon for me!

cathy Wed 17-Apr-13 21:12:05

What a lovely way to spend a day Greatnan how lucky are you!

j08 Wed 17-Apr-13 20:43:39

I do nothing but pootle. It's nice. smile