Gransnet forums

Chat

Do you like pootling?

(65 Posts)
numberplease Tue 16-Apr-13 20:38:33

Welcome to GN Giginanna, enjoy your break in Avignon. I`ve wanted to go there ever since we learned the song in junior school!

Giginanna Tue 16-Apr-13 20:11:16

This was my first post on gransnet so I don't know much about it,but just looking around over the last few minutes it sounds like you chose the best name! Loved your jokes! So you are in France! We are heading there on Saturday to Avignon. ... Making a break; ,a magical mystery tour ,to find some sunshine and relinquish the responsibilities, just for a week! So nice to meet you!

MiceElf Tue 16-Apr-13 20:07:48

I didn't know there was a cat as well. I think you should tell us all about her/him and send pussycat greetings across the mountains to Phoenix' cats.

Greatnan Tue 16-Apr-13 19:39:40

Thank you Gigi - I am not actually on holiday - well, no more than I am permanently! I live in France but this month I am house/dog/cat/plants sitting for Juragran, who live in Switzerland, but close to the French border. It means she and her husband can visit their family in England without worrying, as I have done it several times and the pets know me.
It gives me a chance to widen my exploring - there are so many lovely historic towns and pretty villages in the area.

LullyDully Tue 16-Apr-13 19:34:22

We love pottering, pootling and faffing. Trouble is we usually have Gch with us and they aren't so keen.

Giginanna Tue 16-Apr-13 19:30:59

Hi Greatnan, sounds like you have had a wonderful day .Pootling, by the way is absolutely considered to be exercise and much better than a route march; pootling is mind and body exercise! Body pleased and mind relaxed ,which equals rejuvenation!!
I think you probably deserve a second glass of wine ,bearing in mind the steep hill! Cheers.... And enjoy the rest of your break.

kittylester Tue 16-Apr-13 19:16:29

We not only pootle, we faff too. grin

Greatnan Tue 16-Apr-13 19:15:14

I like the idea that the activity is essentially pointless time wasting! So much of our lives are directed towards reaching goals, it is nice to just be sometimes.

Eloethan Tue 16-Apr-13 19:05:14

Even more than pottering. My Malaysian friend always says "What exactly is pottering?" and I'm hard pushed to explain.

Marelli Tue 16-Apr-13 19:04:45

Love pootling! There's always something to look at if you take your time in places that are new to you. It's also very important to ensure that when you are pootling around, that if you stare through an antique/bric-a-brac shop window, it really is a shop - and not someone's living room which has a lovely assortment of dusty old jugs on the windowsill blushblush

Ariadne Tue 16-Apr-13 19:01:42

Pooling is definitely one of my favourite things, and Theseus is a good pootler, because he he always knows where he's going!

Grannyknot Tue 16-Apr-13 18:44:01

I love a pootle, it exercises my happiness factor. smile

matson Tue 16-Apr-13 18:37:42

we call it pottering or mooching about, I love a good mooch around new shops and places. x

bookdreamer Tue 16-Apr-13 18:34:48

I love to pootle (what a lovely word and one you don't hear very much now). Your day sounds wonderful.

Greatnan Tue 16-Apr-13 18:28:08

By which I mean sauntering round a new town or village, just looking!
Today I found a little village in France which is not famous or touristy, but you entered under an arch that was part of the ramparts, and the main street was lined with lovely Belle Epoch houses, very tall, with high windows, shutters, and little Juliet balconies in wrought iron. There was no shop, just a good-looking restaurant, a mairie and a post office. The church seemed small from the front, but when I got round the back I realised it was built on the very edge of a ravine, and the rear of the building plunged down about 100'. I spent a happy thirty minutes just wandering up and down.
But, of course, pootling is not real exercise, so I left the village and took a two hour round journey which included a very, very steep climb. This entitles me to a glass of wine with my dinner, and some strawberries and ice cream afterwards. It was so good to be out in the sunshine, even though there was still some snow on the higher peaks.