Gransnet forums

Chat

Newbies .

(71 Posts)
Nonu Sun 12-May-13 20:35:51

I just wonder what happens to newbies ?

They post , they are welcomed , and then a lot of the time they are never from again .

Minder Thu 16-May-13 13:13:28

Hi again,

Sorry, I disappeared again. grin Nonu, I personally didn't think you were critizing newbies at all. smile and AKA, yes, I'm also a childminder which is why I chose the name.......... In my spare time I like to.......... oh, forgot, I don't have any spare time.... grin.

I can't go on Netmums anymore, there were some Mums on there a while back who were really slagging off childminders and what 'we do for our money', Suggesting we don't do much to earn the money we get for doing the job shock It's very rare I have a tantrum but I did then.

I haven't posted much but have felt very welcomed from the replies I've had I have to say.

Minder.

Minder Thu 16-May-13 13:18:11

Thank you Gorki, sorry, I forgot to say that when I posted just now.

I only came to live in this part of the country 10 years ago and for 6 of those I was caring for my husband so I don't have many close friends really and my family are spread about.

Grannyeggs Thu 16-May-13 13:23:21

Hello minder, my daughter is just setting up as a childminder, and I'm proud of her, she has had a difficult few years and is now back on her feet. I think your tantrum was justified, how dare they criticise. People moan about how difficult it is to get child care, but seem to not want to pay for it. I hope you stay on GN, you will gain friends here.flowers

Minder Thu 16-May-13 13:35:09

Hi Grannyeggs, fabulous name grin

Good luck to your daughter, you are right to be proud of her. It's a very demanding job but so rewarding at the same time. The paperwork though...... angry We seem to be more like teachers these days. I started in 1987 when you just looked after children and you all had 'fun'. I do still have fun with them but so hate all the paperwork we have to do.

With all that's been going on in my life recently I'm waaayyy behind. Haven't looked at it since February and I will be in trouble if Ofsted come to inspect me. I'm well over a year overdue my inspection.

I lived in Herts for many years and a lot of the parents worked in London and had more money coming in. These days I'm in a small market town and they just can't afford to pay hundreds a week. There would be no point going out to work if all their money went on childcare. We really do do a heck of a lot for the money though so it is awful to read comments like I've seen many times on Mumsnet.

I hope your daughter loves minding as much as I have. I'm hoping to start winding down soon, I'm past it ha ha.

Thank you. I really hope to have more time soon to stay around. smile

flowers

Minder

Grannyeggs Thu 16-May-13 23:02:04

Thanks Minder ,I have just picked up your post. My daughter is having an Offsted report done next week and is dreading it.As you say,it's much more than just entertaining kids nowadays, but she is so good with children I think she will enjoy it. Am off to bed nowmoon

Galen Thu 16-May-13 23:49:38

I just witter on. (At least that's what DD calls the pearls of wisdom that drop from my lips)
Night all moon

Nelliemoser Fri 17-May-13 00:21:50

Ana re spellcheckers! This post is several days later than yourOP but I use Firebox browser and they give you a spell checker. However mine at present seem to be switched to USA English and I cant quite remember how to go into Firefox options to change it. I need to do a bit of digging to find it again.

Minder Fri 17-May-13 05:51:23

Morning all,

It's my day off and I woke up at 5:15am. angry. I've got physio on my back today and then going to see my husband and then my Auntie. It's all good fun when you get to 60 isn't it.

Grannyeggs, tell your daughter not to panic about her ofsted visit. It'll be fine, they are there to help when it's your first visit. She just needs to show them she knows what she's doing. Everyone dreads it and then says oh, it was fine actually smile

Galen, I witter on too. I call it waffling.... grin

Have a good day everyone

Minder.

Gorki Fri 17-May-13 06:40:46

Enjoy your day off Minder even though you won't have much free time to yourself. I am off to visit a friend who recently went into a nursing home and is not happy about it . She was disabled by a German bomb during the war but is mentally extremely "with it". Having been widowed she can no longer cope.

Minder Fri 17-May-13 12:38:28

Thanks Gorki. I've been for the physio and been to see my husband. He looks so old and lost and has lost quite a few teeth. sad

That's really sad about your friend. I hope she settles, it must be very hard when you are mentally 'with it'.

Eloethan Fri 17-May-13 12:49:55

Minder I hope you suggested to those on Netmums slagging off childminders that they are very welcome to have a go themselves if it is so easy and so well paid. I bet everybody going out to work gets a better hourly rate than childminders do.

Stansgran Fri 17-May-13 13:38:13

Perhaps we could have an emoticon for Newbies a green pea would work and then a welcome symbol that means I don't have to do much tedious typing.people rush in with flowers and hugs very speedily and by the time I've got my act together the thread has petered out.

soop Fri 17-May-13 13:56:23

I like your suggestion, Stansgran...could even be a sweet pea for summertime newbies. smile

dustyangel Fri 17-May-13 14:03:10

Stansgran I have to say, your earlier post really helped me as I also take ages to get my act together,think and articulate succinctly(and thats probablly spelt wrongly) and then type it....... and if I don't preview,mistakes jump out at me as soon as I post.

kittylester Fri 17-May-13 14:20:33

I don't think anyone is too bothered about any mistakes - so please post! smile

dustyangel Fri 17-May-13 14:25:34

Thankyou smile

kittylester Fri 17-May-13 15:23:22

I'd have been hounded out ages ago - especially since I got my trendy android phone. grin

Galen Fri 17-May-13 16:11:01

And me . My iPad has a mind f it's own as regulars know.

Sel Fri 17-May-13 16:16:06

kitty hopeless aren't they? If I expand the screen I get half a dozen words - if I don't, I can't read. smile

Minder Fri 17-May-13 17:38:34

Hi Eloethan, I actually jumped in and had a real go. I don't often get angry but they made my blood boil! One woman said that she wasn't paying a childminder when a woman up the road who was a retired teacher and knew much more about children than a childminder was looking after her children. Childminders were in it for the money. angry I saw red and said did she realise that this woman wasn't registered and didn't have any insurance or anything if anything happened to her children. Other childminders and Mums joined in and there was a huge row which went on for days.

I earn £3.50 ph. Having said that, parents can't afford to pay a lot of money a week/month for childcare, I do realise that.

I've 'waffled' again. blush