Gransnet forums

Chat

Clever gadget for supermarket trolleys

(32 Posts)
grandimars Sat 15-Jun-13 14:24:00

I've just acquired a Noken (=no token) to unlock a supermarket trolley without needing a £1 coin. It hangs on my key ring but unlike those tokens you can get, it doesn't remain in the trolley. You insert, unlock, twist to remove and put it away. It's not circular so it's great for arthritic fingers. It cost 2.99 euros (was posted in Bulgaria so took about ten days to arrive).
www.nokens.com/

feetlebaum Fri 21-Jun-13 12:08:38

At my Sainsbury's they introduced a coin release system for the shallow trolleys, but not for the others, which I thought a bit unfair. Then I found a metal badge that worked, so I used that all the time...

Now they come to me...

grandimars Fri 21-Jun-13 14:16:47

j08 the point is that you insert the noken into the trolley slot, it unlocks the trolley and then you remove it completely and put it away. It doesn't leave your hand at all, it doesn't stay in the trolley.

Ana Fri 21-Jun-13 18:34:33

So there's no incentive to take the trolley back to its proper place, which I thought was the point of the £1 deposit...confused

grandimars Fri 21-Jun-13 22:26:31

That's already been mentioned and it's true. Obviously I am a responsible person who will return my trolley,anyway. For me the practicality for my arthritic fingers is the most important consideration.

j08 Fri 21-Jun-13 22:36:10

Oh! I get it! I'm getting one.

Mind you, whenever I do the pound coin thing it invariably leaps out of my hand when I take it out, and rolls off across the car park. hmm I hope one of these will be better behaved.

snailspeak Fri 21-Jun-13 23:29:39

From a train we saw a public sculpture in Gateshead (Tyne & Wear) made entirely out of supermarket trolleys. It was amazing - something I had never dreamed of and, if I had, would have dismissed as an oddity just as the now famous Angel of the North was derided when it was first erected. It is now a renowned around the world. I did not like it at first but now that it has become a local landmark and has aged a bit it is really something special.