Gransnet forums

Chat

Some people just won't listen!

(106 Posts)
Greatnan Sat 17-Aug-13 14:09:55

I was setting out on a long walk this morning, when I noticed a couple looing puzzled, so I asked if I could help them. They wanted to take a circular walk so I showed them my map and told them how steep the path was and roughly how long it usually takes me (about three hours).
The man took the map, turned it round and round and clearly did not have a clue how to read it. I said I would walk with them, but they were much younger than me and I like to walk at my own pace, so I put them on the right track. After about an hour, I came to a fork in the path and the couple were waiting for me. I showed them the way to go, but they looked uncertain and decided to go the other way even though I tried to show them the correct route on my map. I bade them good day and continued on the correct path, stopping for a picnic. The route they had chosen would have taken them several miles in the wrong direction. When I got back to my car, there was no sign of them at their car - perhaps they are still wandering in the forest.

Hunt Fri 06-Sep-13 23:24:41

We love our sat nav especially for the last 'post code' bits. We call our lady satnav Sonia because she 'gets on yer' nerves. We still like looking at the maps ,though to get a good overall view.

FlicketyB Sun 08-Sep-13 08:16:21

There was a news item yesterday saying that sales of road atlases was rising as people fall out of love with satnavs because they find them unreliable and take them down strange routes.

Personally I prefer a road map as I like to know the context of any journey I am making. I also like to choose my own route. A constantly repeated mantra in our family is: 'This way be quicker but that way be prettier' as with the road map we turn off the expected route and head into the boondocks.

We also like to choose our own alternative routes when their are traffic holdups. On at least one occasion when a motorway has been closed we have watched the satnav people all queueing behind each other as they follow the same satnav alternative route while, with our road map, we have chosen the route less used and got back onto our planned route far faster.

Greatnan Sun 08-Sep-13 08:51:28

Flickety - you are a person after my own heart! Who wants to go straight from A to B and miss all the lovely places off the beaten track?

Nelliemoser Sun 08-Sep-13 08:54:47

I do like my sat nav but I like to look at a map before hand as well to see where it is taking me. I am using it today to get to the right car park in Bradgate park.
I know my journey to the M1 very well but its the last local bit I need. I have even printed the finer details off on a Streetmap OS map.
I must get my butty's ready and get organised.

Greatnan Sun 08-Sep-13 09:39:14

Nellie - have you ever tried viaMichelin or the AA or RAC route finders? I get the distance , time and average cost of my long journeys. I don't always follow their suggested route, but the maps of the actual villages, showing street names, are useful.