Gransnet forums

Chat

Lovely Moment

(15 Posts)
merlotgran Mon 19-Aug-13 09:56:54

Teenage grandchildren are a joy. I have five now (two yet to be teens) and we're all very close. They adore their grandpa who they seem to have earmarked as an eccentric old codger and he plays up to it delighting them with his silly jokes and 'cryptic clues'. They confide in us whenever they feel it's to their advantage and because they are scattered around the country I get all the 'gossip' from fifteeen year old H because he is in constant touch with his cousins on XBox.

The boys are now showing an interest in politics and the girls love history so there is always something to discuss. We haven't entered the world of debate yet because their own opinions have yet to develop but I'm sure it will lead to some interesting Sunday lunches!!!

I'm glad the childminding years are over. This is much more fun. smile

ginny Mon 19-Aug-13 09:30:00

hummingbird I have been thinking the same thing. We have been very close to our DGS who will be 11 next month. He still likes to visit and loves coming away with us in our caravan. He is a very cuddly and easy going boy. I suppose we just have to hope they will be happy to come to see us and always be pleased when they do without references to how long there might be between visits. I think a well stocked cake tin and tasty dinners might help !

A couple of weeks ago when he was staying with us, he was discussing which deodorant spray he might use that day and I asked if he had a girlfriend he was trying to impress. His reply was ' not yet, but I'm looking'. Yes, he is growing up.

Bez Mon 19-Aug-13 09:24:17

Carry on just the same as ever! I have DGS and DGD who are now young adults and still have great times with them - we have days out together and now DGD is working she often buys me a coffee or lunch and at times she suggests we go to places we used to go to when they were children - I always took them out for a special lunch the last day we spent together each holiday. DGS is still a sort of student as just about to embark on a PhD. He only had two tickets for his Graduation ceremony last July and told DD that he felt awful I was not able to go - something was missing he said.
You will also be surprised at things which remain so important to them. A couple of years ago we thought about selling this house in France. The DGC were aghast - told us that the house was such an important part of their growing up so we could not possibly sell it - they spent weeks here with us each summer and also wanted to know what would happen to the height chart we had drawn at the side of the door!!!
Other two DGSs are in USA - they are now 13 and 8 and still a great relationship despite the miles and we all thoroughly enjoy the time we do manage to spend together. Skype is great for viewing progress and seeing the latest toy or gadgets.

Gagagran Mon 19-Aug-13 09:22:55

My eldest DGD is 12 in a few weeks but is turning into a teenager before our very eyes. So far she is still very affectionate to us, especially to me but is already eye-rolling at her Mum (DD) and telling her she is "so embarrassing". I find it quite amusing - history repeating itself!

hummingbird Mon 19-Aug-13 08:52:34

Lovely, Merlot! I often look at my little grandchildren who are growing up so fast ( now aged 7,6 and 5, and 6 and 4), and wonder what they'll think of their grandparents when they grow up. They love us, and we look after them quite a bit, but I can't imagine what it'll be like when they're all teenagers! Will they still want to spend time with us? Will they think we're boring old farts? Will their parents have to bribe them to visit us? How do you make sure they carry on wanting to be with you?

Zengran Mon 19-Aug-13 07:57:05

smile

Sook Sun 18-Aug-13 09:06:11

They sound delightful young men merlot I can remember being invited to a party by the parents of one of my eldest sons parents (I can't remember why OH didn't go) my son about 16 at the time fussed and clucked over me all evening ??? Apparently he didn't want me to feel left out or neglected as I didn't know many of the other guests. I was really touched. Every now and then he will call up at the weekend and suggest he and I go for a long walk as my OH can't do long walks these days. DS share a joy of walking, so off we go accompanied now by his two tiny sons. if they grow up to be half as nice as their lovely dad they will be well blessed.

PRINTMISS Sun 18-Aug-13 08:42:27

But they never change, do they, these 'young' men, the tendency to try to charm seems to stay with them forever (from where I stand, anyway). I have a feeling it is something to do with the male needing to show off (like some of the male species having the brightest colours to attract the opposite sex).

j08 Sat 17-Aug-13 19:48:53

That made me smile merlot. Lovely. smile

Tegan Sat 17-Aug-13 19:31:53

My daughter always looked down on her little brother until one day she dropped by only to find him at my house and with two gorgeous blonde leggy college friends who had stopped off to give him a lift to a social event [in a Saab Convertible]. She never looked on him in the same way after that smile.

whenim64 Sat 17-Aug-13 18:33:06

Oh, isn't it interesting when you see your sons through other people's eyes. From girls flirting with them to relatives saying what kind, polite, caring boys they are. My youngest son has met his girlfriend's parents a couple of times, staying there for a weekend, and has obviously turned on the charm, washing the dishes without being asked and making her mum cups of tea just how she likes them. If I remember correctly, that'll wear off when he's got his feet under the table! grin When I laughed about it with his girlfriend, she said 'honestly, they think he's just lovely.' He is, even when the dishes are piled up in the sink! grin

Tegan Sat 17-Aug-13 17:58:12

I'll never forget travelling to Cornwall with my son sat in the back of the car, watching a teenage girl in the back of her parents car [which was alongside ours] flirting like mad with my son. With boys developing that bit later than girls he just kept trying to look away. Only seems like yesterday.

Greatnan Sat 17-Aug-13 17:48:31

Boys can be so lovely at that age. My 15-year old grandson makes me so welcome in NZ and brews me endless cups of tea!

Movedalot Sat 17-Aug-13 17:40:30

smile

merlotgran Sat 17-Aug-13 17:38:18

This morning, because DD had to work, I took my two grandsons aged 15 and 13 to the station to get the train to Stansted to meet their dad and then fly to Northern Ireland for a couple of weeks.

The train was going to be twenty minutes late but there was still plenty of time for them to get their flight so no panic. They didn't want me to wait with them so I gave them some money to get a sandwich and a drink. Two girls of around the same age were saying goodbye to an anxious mum. One of them made eye contact with H and the four of them started to walk to the platform together. G started chatting up to the younger girl and H gave the mum his lovely heart melting smile as he offered to carry the bags.

"What lovely boys", she said as we walked back to the car park.

Oh, but they grow up so quickly smile