Gransnet forums

Chat

Letter to be opened on 18th birthday

(10 Posts)
bluebell Sat 31-Aug-13 10:15:10

We are going to a party this afternoon to welcome a baby. The parents said no presents but a letter for her to open on her 18th birthday. I have just written this and found it quite a moving experience . I think it's a lovely idea - I would love to be there at her 18th!!

Movedalot Sat 31-Aug-13 10:16:12

We have bought the main papers on a baby's birth and wrapped as an 18th birthday present.

bluebell Sat 31-Aug-13 10:37:13

That's a nice idea!

Eloethan Sat 31-Aug-13 11:02:50

What lovely ideas.

janeainsworth Sat 31-Aug-13 11:08:43

What a lovely idea Bluebell. I think as an 18 year-old I would have been very moved to receive those letters - all my grandparents were dead by the time I was 18. And what an insight it will give the 18 year old into the thoughts and feelings of the adults in their life, and perhaps the times they were born into.
Enjoy the party too! wine

Ariadne Sat 31-Aug-13 12:28:15

I once went to a naming party (in place of a baptism) and we are asked, if we wished, to bring 18th birthday gifts, it was an interesting thing to do for a tiny baby whose uncles are about 6ft 4ins and American footballers, but whose father is a slight, not very tall artist. And mother is tiny!

Maniac Sat 31-Aug-13 14:24:34

Such lovely ideas.What a gift! Like you janeainsworth all my grandparents were long dead by the time I was 18.All I have are a few grainy black and white snapshots. After a recent day half-day course I'm trying to fill out some details of my family from the photos and scraps of info I do have. I've also started a blog mainly for the benefit of my GD and for the GS with whom I'm denied contact.

Sook Sat 31-Aug-13 14:31:34

What a lovely idea. Both my sons have newspapers dated from birth to twenty first birthday. I am doing the same for my grandchildren but will stop when they reach five.

Granny23 Sat 31-Aug-13 14:55:07

What a great idea! I cut out the DD's birth announcements from the local paper and put them in their baby books. Now I realise - too late - I should have kept the whole paper. sad

Sook Sat 31-Aug-13 15:41:25

Granny23 my mother was not a sentimental person, so imagine my delight a few years ago when my aunt sent me a cutting from the local newspaper (circa 1954) welcoming me as the second youngest member of The League of Chums at less than 24 hours old, it also mentions my then 18 year old sister who was touring Germany as a member of a girls choir. My mothers cousin had put my name forward as a chum and mum had sent my aunt a cutting but had not thought to keep one for me. I was so glad to have this precious little memento. So one day your DDs will treasure those birth announcements.