Gransnet forums

Chat

Pitmuffs

(37 Posts)
thatbags Tue 24-Sep-13 14:58:28

Who else didn't know armpit hair is called pitmuff?

Who else is amazed that some people are so hung up about this stuff? (see mumsnet)

Who else rarely puts their armpits on display?

Who else's husband, boyfriend, partner, wotevva has never said a word about the beauty or otherwise of armpits?

Who else thinks young women who (I quote) "despise" underarm hair are bonkers and to be pitied for having such shallow lives?

Please, someone, tell me this stuff is completely and totally unimportant in the big scheme of things and that the entire 'problem' can be summed up with: if you go sleeveless you might want to shave under your arms; if you wear sleeves it hardly matters.

NoKnitNanna Wed 25-Sep-13 12:40:26

I've never heard that term for hairy armpits before but recently heard someone talking about her "pit kittens"! It was a young lady on tv who was happy to not shave, underarm and legs too, and was debating the positive side of being hairy. I guess it all keeps her warm in the colder weather ;)

Penstemmon Wed 25-Sep-13 12:17:53

Pitfluff (our family term) needs to be kept fresh through regular washing..otherwise removal should be a matter of personal choice. I' do not approve of 'body police' either approving or disapproving of a person's choice. Personally I remove when I am likely to put on a swimsuit otherwise I do not think about it!

Some women have a lot of body hair and may feel more self conscious than others with just a dusting!

harrigran Wed 25-Sep-13 12:05:04

DH does not go topless, as a one time redhead he would be lobster if he stripped off.

ninathenana Wed 25-Sep-13 10:34:02

OH does gardening top less in nice weather. Including working on the front garden. We're on a main road !!! This was fine 30yrs ago but middle age spread and grey chest hair don't have the same appeal as the muscular rugby players body he used to have grin

He also unashamedly wears sleeveless tops out and about. Don't realy mind that though.

mygrannycanfly Wed 25-Sep-13 10:05:49

Pitmuffs! I thought this was a thread about ear defenders for watching motorsport grin.

My Mum gets very worked about armpits. Says that they are a private area of the body. She wrote a snotty letter to Headteacher complaining about teachers' dress standards when she was a teacher only for the (male) PE teacher to come storming into the staff room in a huff to say that he was very sorry if his little Christmas Trees had given offense (Mum's letter was aimed at the skimpy tops worn by female staff LOL)

Elegran Wed 25-Sep-13 10:03:48

Neither did Mr E in 52 years. I've no complaints about his abilities in any cause though, which proves that overt display can be misleading. Handsome is as handsome does.

Anne58 Tue 24-Sep-13 23:23:10

As Mr P would say, "Standards darling, standards!"

BTW, in all of the 12/5 years we have been together not once has Mr p disported himself topless, or even worn one a sleeveless T shirt or vest type thing.

Model of modesty, is Mr P.

Ana Tue 24-Sep-13 23:04:18

grin

Aka Tue 24-Sep-13 22:47:10

Well it has to be strong enough to reach the extremities! wink

Ana Tue 24-Sep-13 22:40:28

And not too weak...wink

Aka Tue 24-Sep-13 22:39:15

It has to be a regular pulse... smile

Ana Tue 24-Sep-13 22:34:39

Aka! grin Not too fussy, then...

Aka Tue 24-Sep-13 22:23:20

Crikey, you lot are fussy! If he's still got a pulse he'll do for me! shock

thatbags Tue 24-Sep-13 22:19:53

Y'know, deedaa, I've tended to meet men fully dressed and got to like them before I knew a thing about their pitmuffs! I suppose you have to know about that first if.... mind boggle hmm wink

vampirequeen Tue 24-Sep-13 21:25:06

Oooh no. Hairy men every time grin

Deedaa Tue 24-Sep-13 21:14:04

I just don't find it attractive, and I'm not that keen on it in men. It's not so bad if it's quite short and curly, but a man with long, straight wisps of hair is a real turn off.

Ana Tue 24-Sep-13 18:34:02

grin

thatbags Tue 24-Sep-13 17:58:11

It's even more ladylike and better good manners not to display it.

petallus Tue 24-Sep-13 17:50:43

grin

petallus Tue 24-Sep-13 17:50:35

When displaying the armpit, it is only good manners and ladylike to make sure it is free of hair.

harrigran Tue 24-Sep-13 17:48:15

Some men do shave under their arms MiceElf, I know one or two.

kittylester Tue 24-Sep-13 17:19:05

I don't think that I am a particularly sensitive soul and swear words have no effect on me but I find that word revolting. [yeuk]

Just thought you'd like to know that. grin

Personally, I've never been particularly hairy and now it's mostly all gone!

Granny23 Tue 24-Sep-13 17:06:55

I think that armpits (or oxters) are not the most beautiful part of the body, being dark skinned and wrinkly and are, therefore, best covered up. I only bare mine for swimming but keep my arms down until safely in the water. I cannot understand why anyone, when glamorously dressed up, would want to flaunt their arm pits by waving their arms above their head. Completely destroys the 'perfect' image they have worked hard to create. Great tufts of straight dark hair is decidedly Yucky, whereas a little puff of blonde or ginger curls can be quite attractive and certainly looks better than stubble.

Again, each to their own. This is probably the only time in the last 40 years when I have given a moment's thought to armpits grin

PS: I realise that there is a similarly hairy, dark & wrinkly area elsewhere on the female body. I have never considered that to be beautiful either but know that, thankfully, most males and some women would disagree.

vampirequeen Tue 24-Sep-13 16:36:18

What a wonderful word. Never heard it before but it's so apt.

I tend to shave mine because I prefer them that way but tbh I don't mind what people do. It's a matter of personal choice.

I wouldn't like my OH to shave his body hair as I quite like hairy men although that's another topic grin

Ana Tue 24-Sep-13 16:18:33

I certainly remember the fuss about Julia Roberts showing hers when waving at some event or other - it was all over the media the next day!