Gransnet forums

Chat

Carol - messages of support

(656 Posts)
Granny23 Wed 30-Oct-13 11:09:37

I thought it would be a good idea to open a thread where those of us who are upset by this news can comfort each other. Better to share thoughts here and leave the IMPORTANT thread for on-going efforts to find her.

glassortwo Wed 30-Oct-13 11:14:01

Good idea granny23

Mishap Wed 30-Oct-13 11:15:40

Come back!!!!

Tegan Wed 30-Oct-13 11:17:27

Please be ok Greatnan....

Elegran Wed 30-Oct-13 11:17:42

Mishap Granny23 does not mean that she has left Gransnet, but that she is missing, as in, no-one has seen her or had word from her since she went out to hike alone in the Alps on sunday.

whenim64 Wed 30-Oct-13 11:17:55

Thanks, granny23. We're trying to stay upbeat. Carol/Greatnan has a fantastic zest for life and has a lot of inner strength. If she is found and brought to safety, she will be dining out on this adventure for years! smile

baubles Wed 30-Oct-13 11:19:20

Good thinking G23

I've not been able to concentrate at work today. Woke up through the night thinking about her sad

I'm sure all the great work being done by her family and friends will find her (very soon, I hope).

glassortwo Wed 30-Oct-13 11:35:13

baubles I was the same through the night and I cant concentrate on anything today just keep starting a job and wondering back to the laptop. sad

Ariadne Wed 30-Oct-13 11:39:41

Me too.

whenim64 Wed 30-Oct-13 11:41:37

The search for Greatnan is in quite a few safe hands, and local walkers, cyclists, tourists are being alerted. There are refuges on many of the mountains - they look like wooden huts and have a few useful items and somewhere to rest if walkers get lost and are exposed to the elements. Her maps show where they are, or she could shelter in her car.

If you can physically distance yourself from the computer for an hour or so, it might help. Not that I feel like taking this advice myself! I've promised myself a long walk with the dog, next time I hear some news.

glammanana Wed 30-Oct-13 11:42:23

Great idea G23 I hope she is OK lets remember we are talking about a lady who is very very resourseful lets hope we hear from her soon.

Granny23 Wed 30-Oct-13 11:44:18

This is the time when I so envy those who believe in the power of prayer. They can feel that they are doing something positive to help, while I just pace about feeling helpless. I am not on facebook or Twitter and know no-one in France or Switzerland. Perhaps I could supply some brew, flowers and (((hugs))) to those who are actively involved in the search. They are doing a wonderful thing.

Tegan Wed 30-Oct-13 11:46:54

I'm not sure that it's the power of prayer that I believe in, but I sort of feel that a lot of people wishing the same thing is a very powerful force [gaia and all that].

ginny Wed 30-Oct-13 11:48:26

OH my! I didn't know about this. I hope she is found safe and well very soon.

kittylester Wed 30-Oct-13 11:55:53

I didn't know about this either. Nor did I know for ages that she had left gransnet, although I had missed her posts. I do know that gn has been quieter lately and would hope that when she is found she comes back to us.

Those of you who are 'in the loop' - please keep us informed. sunshine

whenim64 Wed 30-Oct-13 12:00:15

We'll keep updating news on the other thread that has her Missing poster. Her daughter is in New Zealand and it's early hours there now. Hopefully, she is getting a little sleep, although I did see a 'missing you so much, mum' Facebook message an hour or so ago.

As soon as we know more, we'll make sure you know, too.

ninathenana Wed 30-Oct-13 12:01:41

I wasn't aware of this. I sincerely hope someone hears from her soon.

gillybob Wed 30-Oct-13 12:09:01

Oh my god. What terrible news. I do hope she is found safe and well very soon. My thoughts are with her family who must be sick with worry.

I am not on facebook so would be grateful to anyone who can keep us up to date.

vegasmags Wed 30-Oct-13 12:13:32

Having been away from GN for a few days, I am stunned to hear this dreadful news. How terrible for her family. We do know that she is a very resourceful person.

tanith Wed 30-Oct-13 12:22:49

I didn't know either I hope she is back safe and sound soon..

whenim64 Wed 30-Oct-13 12:27:30

Her poor daughter, Fiona, is exhausted. She's just gone to get some sleep, asking people to wake her up if there's any news. The family has been tireless in approaching organisations and individuals for help. She is in New Zealand, and other family members in the UK are collaborating whilst she sleeps, and vice versa.

Penstemmon Wed 30-Oct-13 12:46:12

her family must be so worried. My thoughts are with all of them.

LizG Wed 30-Oct-13 12:51:30

Have just read and shared this on Facebook and would like to add my thoughts and prayers to those of others. I agree with you Tegan. Thank you for opening this thread Granny23

Mamie Wed 30-Oct-13 13:05:00

Oh how awful. I have seen her posts on various forums for years and felt as if I knew her. I am on the other side of the country but am a French speaker living in France and very willing to help if I can.

Lona Wed 30-Oct-13 13:12:39

I've only just seen this, I've retweeted and shared on Fb.
Fingers crossed that Greatnan is ok.