Gransnet forums

Chat

Future professions

(39 Posts)
Gally Wed 01-Jan-14 21:24:51

Interesting conversation at the breakfast table just now. What do you want to be when you grow up? Not a hairdresser any more but an architecter, says the 5 year old. The (highly articulate) 3 year old whose older half brother is studying astrophysics next year, decided he was to be a pirate while his 2 year old brother was to be a weetabix and the 7 year old is going to drive ferries on Sydney Harbour. What aspirations do your gc's have!

Bez Wed 01-Jan-14 21:27:30

When DGS was about 7 he decided he was going to be a slacker or beach bum - he is now 23 and having gained a first in engineering is doing a PhD!

Nelliemoser Wed 01-Jan-14 22:19:17

At 15mths he's a bit too young to make a decision yet, but at Christmas we were all very impressed by his sense of rhythm and timing while dancing to "Frosty the Snowman".

POGS Wed 01-Jan-14 22:33:35

Dear GD told us she is either going to sell ice cream from a van or be a cheer leading instructor. As she is 7, I am not too concerned. smile

Isn't it interesting to see where the little darlings will eventually end up. Just hope I am still around.

KatyK Wed 01-Jan-14 22:55:35

My elderly neighbour asked my DGD (she was about 10 at the time) what she wanted to be when she grew up, expecting I think 'a nurse, hairdresser or such like'. My DGD replied 'a marine biologist'. My neighbour's face was a picture!

ninathenana Wed 01-Jan-14 23:08:23

4yr old DGS states emphatically when asked that he wants to be a vet smile

harrigran Wed 01-Jan-14 23:23:00

GD1 is going to be an artist, I don't doubt it, she has been drawing people and animals since she was 18 months old. GD2 says she is going to be a princess grin

numberplease Wed 01-Jan-14 23:55:24

My granddaughter decided when she was about 12 that she wanted to work with babies and young children, and after leaving school worked in a nursery for a while. But she didn`t like it because the children were a bit older than she`d have liked, and she`s now, aged 21, at the opposite end of the spectrum, working in home care, and despite long hours and low pay, she`s loving it.

Granny23 Thu 02-Jan-14 03:04:42

It changes day by day with our 3 DGC. Latest set of answers to the question = DGS (6 nearly 7) - Dr Who and Yes, he does understand that he will be an actor playing the role; DGD1 (6.5) would like to be a drummer 'like Granpal', a singer, a dancer and a teller of jokes; DGD2 (4.75) would like to be 'a very tall lady like Daddy' hmm so that everybody will see her and she will be able to reach things on top of cupboards - I think she has her eye on the biscuit tin.

I don't know if any of these ambitions will be fulfilled but it does look likely that DGD2 WILL be a VERY tall lady.

coastwallker Thu 02-Jan-14 06:38:17

Interesting discussion with my 2 year old over Christmas who declared that he is going to buy five cars when he is a grown up man. When asked why five cars, he said "Because I have two hands of course."
No idea how he will fund said cars yet though.

kittylester Thu 02-Jan-14 07:55:22

My DD1, who went to Oxford and is now a SEN teacher, used to tell us that she wanted to work in the 'paying house' at the garage, ' where all the sweets are!' grin
'

Dragonfly1 Thu 02-Jan-14 08:10:22

My five year old gs has wanted to be a paleontogist for at least a year. His reception class teacher made the mistake of asking him why he wanted to be an archeologist. She was treated to a five minute lecture on the difference. I worry about him.

Sook Thu 02-Jan-14 08:13:34

kitty grin DS2 at 12 wanted to be a premiership footballer or a rock star. Now age 32 he has a degree in music but works in IT and in his spare time he plays in a heavy metal band.

JessM Thu 02-Jan-14 08:36:04

DS1 wanted (when 2) to become a big girl called Lucy.

ginny Thu 02-Jan-14 08:49:16

My DGS latest ambition is to work in MaccieDees and drive an Aston Martin. smile

Mishap Thu 02-Jan-14 10:07:14

Dragonfly - your GS sounds just like mine - he wants to be a paleontologist too! He too is 5. I bought him a dinosaur quilt cover for Xmas, having trawled the internet for one that had scientific realism rather than cartoon dinosaurs. I found one from Germany. However, he studied it in detail and, whilst thanking me for it and saying he loved it, informed me that one had too many toes and another should have a fleshy hump on its neck......etc!

When he was much younger he and I were playing a game in which I was helping him to discover dinosaur bones. I said that I was a paleontologist's assistant - he looked very puzzled and said: "What's an assistant?"

He also fancies being a rock star - so I have him down as a sort of neo-Brian Cox!

glammanana Thu 02-Jan-14 10:22:59

Sitting with Luke my youngest DGS a few weeks ago he said he wanted to be a Bin Man when he goes to work because they finish work at 2pm then he can come home and watch cartoons on TV or go to play football grin

annodomini Thu 02-Jan-14 11:17:25

My nine-year-old GS has expressed and ambition to be a stand-up comedian. We think he is one already. grin

petra Thu 02-Jan-14 14:55:45

Anything that will enable him to buy a Ferrari !

posie Thu 02-Jan-14 15:12:06

My 4yr old DGS wants to have his own safari park. He loves anything about animals.

joannapiano Thu 02-Jan-14 15:14:56

DGS aged 7 said yesterday that he either wanted to run a Hot Dog stand or be a professional wrestler.His ambitions change weekly,luckily.

nuttynana Thu 02-Jan-14 18:58:31

JESS M

And did he? confused

JessM Thu 02-Jan-14 19:01:45

no nutty he never did. I was left Lucy-less sad

shabby Thu 02-Jan-14 19:26:02

DGS aged 8 has wanted to be a scientist since he was 3 and has never changed his mind. DGD aged 3 wants to be a make uper (I think she means make up artist) and practices on me at every opportunity!

Deedaa Thu 02-Jan-14 21:05:00

GS1 had a light bulb moment when he was 5 and a theatre company came to school. He suddenly realised you could dress up for a living. He loves his sessions at Stagecoach so much that he even missed his best friends birthday party rather than give up a session. He's a bit torn though as he also thinks he might be an engineer like Daddy.