Gransnet forums

Chat

Being an observer in a hospital

(33 Posts)
rojon Thu 06-Feb-14 21:32:42

I spent ten hours accompanying a very elderly man with all his marbles, through A&E and on an observation/admission ward. While I can't fault the care in A&E the care on the ward was non-existant. Once the admission routine was run through there was no further interaction from any nursing staff for the next seven and a half hours. I had to buttonhole a health care worker to get something for him to eat as he hadn't eaten anything since his breakfast nine hours earlier. I also had to go searching for a cup so that we could both have a drink of water. Apparently no cups on the ward. I had a headache from lack of hydration by this time. Would I be unreasonable to make a complaint

Aka Sat 08-Feb-14 23:41:54

North Manchester Hospital complaints procedure

Aka Sat 08-Feb-14 23:43:06

Sorry wrong form.

Aka Sat 08-Feb-14 23:44:15

But if you scroll down you will find the PALS number anyway moon

POGS Sat 08-Feb-14 23:44:24

Thank you rojon.

whenim64 Sat 08-Feb-14 23:53:24

Try this form/complaints procedure.

www.pat.nhs.uk/Contact-Us/Complaints/Making-a-complaint.php

Executive Directors are jumping through hoops at present - copy everything to one of them and MP. Good luck.

JessM Sun 09-Feb-14 08:25:55

When complaining about a public body or service it is always worth sending a copy of your letter to your MP. They will in turn contact the public body and say they have had this information and ask to be kept informed. It does increase the pressure on those receiving the complaint. (I know, I've been on the receiving end).
Not worth complaining to a minister as one of their minions will just refer back to the MP.

whenim64 Sun 09-Feb-14 11:23:31

I was reminded of this article by Nathan Filer, who is an ex-psychiatric nurse. It reflects how things are on several wards for the frail elderly and mentally ill at NMGH.

www.theguardian.com/society/2014/jan/25/nathan-filer-mental-health-care-where-did-it-go-wrong