Gransnet forums

Chat

Are You Afraid Of Dieing

(68 Posts)
carnationa Wed 05-Mar-14 10:23:47

On her death bed my Mother admitted to my brother that she was scared. It was a shock because she was a very strong willed women.

Yesterday coming home in a Taxi I had a sharp pain in my chest and for a split second I was scared that I was going to die in the back of a black cab.

I think it is the fear of the un known. I believe in an after life, but still you do not know exactly what is coming and I think, that, that is were the fear stems from.

What do you think. Were does the fear stem from and are you afraif of dieing.

thatbags Wed 05-Mar-14 13:04:05

I'm afraid of pain and illness, not of being dead. The fact that I'm going to die at some point doesn't bother me in the slightest.

durhamjen Wed 05-Mar-14 13:04:20

I watched my husband die two years ago. He stopped eating, then drinking and took three days to actually die, although he had a brain tumour.
Last March I nearly joined him.I had an aortic dissection, which is quite painful.Only 25% survive them.
No, I'm not afraid of dying. I know I can survive pain for days until the hospital realises what's wrong with you and gives appropriate treatment.
I have a living will, just in case it's my mind that goes first, and I cannot tell anyone. I know I am a walking timebomb, having been told that by numerous doctors. You learn to live with it and possibly die of it.

Riverwalk Wed 05-Mar-14 13:04:39

I agree jingl when that sudden panic overwhelms, it eases just as quickly. smile

carnationa Wed 05-Mar-14 13:53:03

Soop that was great and made me feel better

Elegran Agree with you..transition from one state to another that is the actual scary bit

Lilygran that was a great way to describe Dementia, I do not know much about it but hope that people with Dementia are as contented as your Mother

Riverwalk just as well you could not remember his name, what a morbid ## he was. The great sense of peace you felt sounds really nicesmile

Bellasnana Wed 05-Mar-14 14:10:46

If we could all go peacefully in our beds there would be nothing to fear.It's the thought of a violent death that scares me. Also the fact that there is no cremation in Malta and I really do not want to be buried. I've instructed my family to transport me to the nearest incinerator but it will be expensive grin

Nelliemoser Wed 05-Mar-14 14:57:31

Interesting! As someone else has said I don't want to miss my DGS, DD & DS or I would worry that they would miss me. I am not being conceited or owt like that. I know it would worry DD. I think I would not want to msake them feel unhappy.

Its the sort of things that went through my mind on Monday when taking off from Funchal and landing at Manchester.

My parents died 13yrs ago and I still miss not being able to tell them the good stuff.

When DGS is 18 I will be 83. The penalty for having two generations not having children until their 30s.

As for being afraid of death, it would depend I suppose on how decrepit I was feeling before I died.

newist Wed 05-Mar-14 14:59:07

When I was a baby of 6 months I was seriously ill, My mother was told "leave the room the child is dead", Then, so I have been told, I did a big gasp and came back. 8 years ago while building our house I had a dreadful burning sensation in my chest, but this feeling of despair came over me, it was weird, but I felt very calm. I thought I am dying here and now, so somehow I got up and started walking about, thinking its just not convenient to die now leaving my OH to get the house finished. I had had a myocardial infraction. because of the calm feeling I had, I am not scared of dying of a heart attack but I would not want to linger in pain causing upset to my loved ones

Mishap Wed 05-Mar-14 15:21:38

Interestingly, one thought I had whilst delivering one of my DDs was that this is what it must be like to die. There are parallels - both are natural processes of immense profundity that proceed best if you do not fight them, but just go with the flow.

It may of course have been the pethidine thinking!

Aka Wed 05-Mar-14 15:46:50

Sometimes life just isn't worth living though.

gillybob Wed 05-Mar-14 15:52:45

My grandma used to talk about dying quite a lot and then strangely at 90 she stopped. She is 98 this year and talks to me about "in the summer" and "next christmas" as though she has accepted that she will be here to see them. smile

petallus Wed 05-Mar-14 16:03:01

I don't seem to be all that scared of dying. Sad to be leaving maybe.

What I am really scared of is DH dying because I would have to go through the awfulness of it and try to come out on the other side and carry on.

rockgran Wed 05-Mar-14 16:07:58

I've no intention of dying. I like it here! smile

feetlebaum Wed 05-Mar-14 16:18:48

Die? That's the last thing I'm going to do!

mollie Wed 05-Mar-14 16:22:42

I'm in the 'not scared of dying or death but don't want to suffer' category. I don't believe there's an afterlife so I've nothing to fear but I'd like to go quietly, quickly and in my sleep if possible please. Oh, and not too soon...

kittylester Wed 05-Mar-14 16:24:53

rockgran grin me too!

A dear friend died while her boys were doing A and O levels and her fear was not knowing how their lives continued. I'd love to be able to tell her that they are lovely men and she has a troop of grandchildrensad

It's not knowing how my DC and DGC turn out that bothers me as well as not wanting to have a painful death.

I would hate to lose DH but my children have told me that I have to die after him as he can't cook grin

KatyK Wed 05-Mar-14 16:37:30

I am quite scared of living at times confused. What's that line from a song 'tired of living and scared of dying'. Sometimes that applies to be honest.

Ana Wed 05-Mar-14 16:39:03

Katy - I know what you mean! smile

grannyactivist Wed 05-Mar-14 16:40:13

Having had many health problems there have been a number of times when I have thought death was imminent and felt prepared for it, but I have been desperately saddened for my family who would have to deal with it without me to help them. (Sounds a bit twisted I know.) Even as recently as last year my husband was convinced that during one of my bouts of illness I wouldn't make it. I have left my affairs in order and never miss an opportunity to enjoy my family and friends, so in that sense I'm ready. I am blessed with a deep faith and believe that the essence of me will continue in another form, in another dimension, with God. I have long suspected that some form of dementia may take me if illness doesn't and again have discussed this with family so that they know my wishes. The manner of my dying doesn't bother me too much although it would be quite nice in some ways to have time to say goodbyes. Occasionally I become very aware of the limited time I have left and feel myself hoping for more. I had my youngest two children rather later in life and would love to see them settled and with children before I go.

chloe1984 Wed 05-Mar-14 17:34:58

The only thing that scares me about dying is that I won't be able to think anymore . This has worried me since being a child every time I start to think about dying I get panicky about not being able to think very strange but true. I am not concerned with pain or seeing how my family's life works out ...just thinking!

jinglbellsfrocks Wed 05-Mar-14 17:41:19

confused grin

rosequartz Wed 05-Mar-14 17:55:05

I have a vision of sitting on a terrace overlooking the ocean with a glass of wine in my hand celebrating my 92nd birthday and just going peacefully. This is probably just wishful thinking rather than a premonition!

Unfortunately, unless I am very lucky indeed I know it won't be like that.
I don't want to go just yet, my dearest friend died very suddenly and unexpectedly about 18 months ago which was far too soon. She will never see her tiny DGC grow and blossom.
However I look forward to seeing all my loved ones again, including her. Just not yet please. If at all possible.

kittylester Wed 05-Mar-14 17:56:31

I wouldn't want to die on my own sad

Tegan Wed 05-Mar-14 18:28:29

I try not to think about it. But I do know people that can't sleep at night because of the fear of dying. Of those people there seems to be a thread of problems with drinking and also being a workaholic [not giving themselves time to brood about it]. Sometimes I feel better when I'm terribly sad about something because when I'm happy I get a 'I want this to last forever' feeling. When I was younger my main worry was not being there for my children and them having no one to love them as much as I did; now my fear is a totally selfish one ie there's so much I want to do/see/hear/read. I thought I'd feel better no longer working for the NHS but, alas retirement does give me time to worry more [if that's possible].

harrigran Wed 05-Mar-14 18:39:49

I just want to go first, can't bear the idea of being without DH. I do get cross that DC had their children in their late 30s, I would like to see them get married but I can't see it happening.
I don't believe in an after life.

Judthepud2 Wed 05-Mar-14 21:14:57

hmm Having had a couple of 'near misses' and remembering the calm feeling that seems to descend, I'm not too scared of the actual death bit, but like so many of you feel sad that I won't see how all of my grandchildren turn out in adulthood.

As a young adult I used to have panic moments at the thought of not being.

Feetlebum that comment was hilarious!